Thread: Ratu Siganiyavi - Ratu Nasiganiyavi - Nemani Nadolo

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ratu Siganiyavi - Ratu Nasiganiyavi - Nemani Nadolo

Nadolo no longer a tongue-twisting hulk - now he's just huge

ADRIAN PROSZENKO RH

November 15, 2009

NEMANI NADOLO didn't want to just make a name for himself in rugby, he wanted to honour his mother in the process.

Which is why the giant Fijian winger no longer answers to the name Ratu Nasiganiyavi.

The Waratahs might have lost Lote Tuqiri but the man most likely to replace him is his cousin. And to prove that family really runs deep, Nadolo recently changed over to his mother's maiden name.

''I'm blessed to be using my mum's name,'' Nadolo told The Sun-Herald. ''Hopefully I can make a name for myself and go from there. I'm excited about that.

''Mum and Dad split a few years ago and she's taken on the priorities of looking after me and my two younger brothers growing up.

''She's a big influence on my life.

''It's to give her a little thank you, make a name of it.''

He might no longer carry his father's name, but Nadolo wants to follow in his footsteps. Isei Nasiganiyavi was also a fearsome winger who played for the Queensland Reds. His son, who stands 195 centimetres tall and weighs 123 kilograms, was tipped to make his Super 14 debut for the Waratahs last year until a series of injuries ruined his season.

''My dad played for the Reds, I think in 1989,'' Nadolo said. ''Him playing there migrated our family over [from Fiji] and we're blessed that's happened. He played [for] the Reds on the wing. He's not as big as me, I guess. I must get my build from my mother's side.

''He was a good player. I'm trying to follow in his footsteps and make the family proud.''

Family is a central theme for Nadolo. The 21-year-old is hoping to make a name for himself - albeit a new one - in order to provide a better life for those closest to him.

''We Pacific Islanders have big families and we always help each other out,'' he said. ''Me [playing rugby] is to help the family out and make sure there is food on the table for my two younger brothers and my mum.

''They're my inspiration, my motivation to keep pushing on, that I'm there for them.''

Nadolo was a notable omission at Waratahs training this week. He was granted compassionate leave after his uncle, Mick Nadolo, died unexpectedly during the week.

''He played a big influence, too, when my parents split up,'' he said. ''This has affected all of us.

''I can't make it to Fiji and my mum is going to represent our family. I've come up [to Queensland] to be with the family during a tough time … It's a big loss for the family. It's going to be hard to go back to Sydney and get into the swing of things but I know we can overcome it.''

His new name is slightly easier to pronounce, but Nadolo is still just as difficult to stop on the football field.

Dubbed the next Jonah Lomu due to his ability to steamroll opponents, Nadolo recently switched from Randwick to Shute Shield rivals the Manly Marlins.

If he can stay out of the casualty ward, higher honours beckon.

''It's been a frustrating year with injuries,'' he said. ''I lost motivation there and self-belief. But I've bounced back and am raring to go now that I'm injury-free.

''I never gave up, I always believed and prayed. I'm a firm believer that when you get knocked down that you get up and keep pushing.

''I always felt there was going to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

''[Tuqiri's departure] could be a blessing in disguise, the door has been opened for me.

''There's still competition there but I can't wait. I'll do everything I can do.

''I'm only young. I'd like to think I've got a long time in the game.''

All respect his way for having the courage of his convictions, but I'm a bit at a loss as to why it involved also changing his first name?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Now I know! I read a brief mention of the name change and was quite confused about it...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    good ploy to keep the debt collectors at bay!

vCash
    Interesting to see how he goes next weekend in Canberra. Maybe a new outside back in the Indian Ocean blue?

But if he plays for Fiji, he can't represent the Wallabies and would be a marquee player, right? The idea loses some sparkle right there

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...with-mitchell/

Nadolo’s form to force issue with Mitchell
    SPORT
    RUGBY UNION
    27 MAY 10 @ 03:58PM BY JASON AVEDISSIAN

Nemani Nadolo is still hoping to land a Super 15 contract
    MARLINS winger Nemani Nadolo is still in line for a Super 15 contract with Western Force coach John Mitchell admitting the powerful back is on his radar.

Nadolo is currently in Fiji training with their national squad ahead of the Test match against the Wallabies in Canberra next month.

The 22-year-old was released by the Waratahs this season and is desperate to land another Super contract.

Marlins coach Phil Blake fears Nadolo will be lost to Australian rugby if he can’t secure a Super deal. The Marlins sent the Force tapes of Nadolo’s abilities on Thursday.

And now Mitchell has given the Fijian a glimmer of hope, admitting he’s still in contention for a contract.

“We’ll certainly continue to look at him,” the Force coach told The Manly Daily.

“We’ve got about four spots available at this stage and we need an outside-back position.

“We’ve got people watching everybody and if he continues to produce form and works hard, it will be inevitable that he will come across my desk.”

Nadolo will find out this weekend if he will be part of the Fijian squad for the June 6 Test against Australia.

“It will be the most important 80 minutes of his career if he gets picked to showcase his skills,” Blake said.

vCash
    Do a good check on his health and training. The word on him when he was with the Spirit was that he was naturally huge and a lazy trainer. I wonder why he was released by the Waratahs.

vCash
    why would you waste a marquee position on a unproven winger, not worth it if the Force are chasing a foreign 5/8

Player
    vCash
    If he plays for Fiji, I dont know why any Australian S15 team would take him, and I would expect him to head to Europe of Japan.

vCash
    Which is a fantastic reason for the eligibility rules to be rewritten, He would line up with Peter Grant in the category of being able to qualify for citizenship, but not play for an Australian rugby team.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I guess many people have to live with the choices they make in life.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.