Thread: Sharpe wants another crack at old foe Johnson

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe wants another crack at old foe Johnson

DALE MILLER, The West Australian December 9, 2009, 11:34 am

Scott Anderson / Scott Anderson ©

Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe wants to break back into the Wallabies side in time for next year's home series against England.

The 31-year-old Test veteran shook hands with England coach Martin Johnson yesterday at a Force training session in one of the pair's few meetings since squaring off as rival locks in the thrilling 2003 World Cup final.

Johnson skippered England to a memorable 20-17 victory in that classic encounter in Sydney, with the last-gasp victory sealed courtesy of a late drop goal from Jonny Wilkinson.

The former England skipper was visiting Perth as part of a reconnaissance trip ahead of a two-Test series between the traditional rivals in June next year. The first fixture will be played at Subiaco Oval on June 12, followed by a second Test in Sydney on June 19.

Sharpe said he hoped to line up for Australia against England in the anticipated Perth clash.

The 79-Test player is recovering from shoulder surgery that ruled him out of last month's Wallabies tour of Britain and Ireland, but is targeting a return to competition for the Force against the Sharks in Cape Town on January 26.

"You never know what's going to happen," Sharpe said. "I was happy with the way I played this year. I had shoulder surgery, so I missed the last three Tri-Nations games and the UK tour, which was very disappointing to be at home watching the boys on the tour.

"But playing against England is a big goal of mine. That's why you play the sport and that's what I'll be trying to do."

Subiaco Oval holds fond memories for Johnson, 39, with a 25-6 group stage win over the Springboks at the venue setting the tone for the victorious 2003 campaign.

The man regarded as one of the game's greatest locks said several midweek matches could be scheduled against domestic teams as part of the winter series, raising hopes of a showdown between England and the Western Force.

The tour to Australia would be used to prepare his side for the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand, Johnson said.

"I think when we come down here we'll bring a Test squad trying to win games," he said.

"It'll be our only real away southern hemisphere trip before 2011, so they're pretty vital Test matches."

Johnson delivered some praise for the Wallabies team that triumphed 18-9 over England at Twickenham last month, despite recent criticism levelled at the Australian side.

"I thought they were pretty strong," Johnson said. "They're a very young team. I think they're in a pretty good place and I've said that already on this trip.

"I know they lost in Scotland and they drew in Ireland, but they weren't far off from winning all four games of the tour."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...d-foe-johnson/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    looking forward to seeing Sharpie back....

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    looking forward to seeing Sharpie back....
    As you(we) should since Chisholm left a lot to be desired!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    As you(we) should since Chisholm left a lot to be desired!
    Big Chiz did fine...

vCash
    Yep, he did as well as a fifth string lock could be expected to do

C'mon the