Thread: Force favourite for Giteau signature.

vCash

Force favourite for Giteau signature.

I beat the newsbot, I beat the newsbot, you didn't get none, you didn't get none....
    __________________________________________________ _____________

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23217,00.html

Force favourite for Giteau signature
    By Bret Harris
    April 19, 2006

MATT Giteau's wish to delay the signing of a new Super 14 contract is the clearest pointer yet that the Australia inside centre is leaving the Brumbies.

The passing of an Australian Rugby Union-imposed deadline yesterday is good news for Australia's three other teams.

Western Force has emerged the clear favourite to win the prized signature despite offers from NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds and the Brumbies.

ARU sources believe Giteau will not make an announcement on his future until after the Super 14 season.

Giteau is understoof to be still negotiating the ARU component of the deal, with the main sticking point the length of the contract.

"A deadline was imposed by the ARU but, at this stage, it is doubtful they will achieve resolution of their issues," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"It's taking a bit longer than we had hoped, but we are still positive working towards a decision.

"I feel Matt is yet to make a decision but we feel as though he is comfortable where he is.

"We are quietly confident but, until I hear it from Matt and see an agreement signed, it's still an open process.

Advertisement:
    "All the other provinces are bidding aggressively."
    ARU chief operating officer Rob Clarke said it would not be a problem if Giteau did not make a decision today.

"I don't know if we fully expected a decision tomorrow," Clarke said.

"Shaun Barry (ARU negotiator) is in close contact with his manager and there are no problems there."

The Brumbies are also in discussions with five of their other players: number eight Jone Tawake, prop Nic Henderson, second rower Al Campbell, back rower Adam Wallace-Harrison and inside back Gene Fairbanks.

But the Brumbies' main target from outside their existing squad is Reds outside back Drew Mitchell, who is also being chased by the Waratahs and Force.

"We understand that Drew won't make a decision for another three to four weeks," Fagan said.

The Force has joined the Reds in attempting to lure Bulldogs centre Willie Tonga from rugby league.

Both the Force and the Reds would need ARU support to sign Tonga, who played rugby union as a schoolboy.

"We are interested in Willie Tonga and we understand he is reasonably serious about playing rugby union," Force chief executive Peter O'Meara said.

"We are talking to the ARU this week about initiating an investigation into Willie's background and a transition to rugby union."

Force has also expressed interest in Sydney Roosters centre Ryan Cross.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thats awsome! Our backline will definately sure up with a bit of direction from gits. Still i wouldnt get too excited till the deal is done!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Gits would be a huge recruit! Drew Mitchell would be a nice addition also, but I get the feeling he is loyal to the Reds ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    how awsome would that be Im so keen for him to play with the force

vCash
    It's not exactly signed and sealed, but these things usually turn out to be true so it's safe to get a little confident that he's heading west.

Force to dominate worst hairstyle polls for years to come.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Well that would be fantastic. The Tahs are welcome to Gasnier. While I'm pretty confident he'll be OK at RU and will probably become a dual international, I'm not so sure he'll do it as a centre. The player who I really wany the Force to concentrate, and who has been pretty low key is Ryan Cross.

vCash
    Gits... Awesome if we get him, but I aint holding my breath on it.
    Drew Mitchell... once again, awesome if we get him...

Willy Tonga... would be a damned good aquisition for the force and having a background in the 15 a side game would step up a lot faster than the others have taken to really hit their straps.

Ryan Cross... If we get him great, but I think that if we got Cross, we would need to get one of either Gits or Mitchell until he gets upto speed properly with the 15 a side game.

vCash
    Drew isnt as loyal to the Reds as you think, but I dont think he is looking at going west more south. Gits on the other hand yous hould be farely confident about, however dont believe anything until it comes out of the mans own mouth. I have heard from one of his school mates dad that he isnt going because of a strained relationship with another force squad member, his hairdresser tells me he is going. Dont believe it until he tells you himself I know I wont.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramoth
    Gits... Awesome if we get him, but I aint holding my breath on it.
    Drew Mitchell... once again, awesome if we get him...

Willy Tonga... would be a damned good aquisition for the force and having a background in the 15 a side game would step up a lot faster than the others have taken to really hit their straps.

Ryan Cross... If we get him great, but I think that if we got Cross, we would need to get one of either Gits or Mitchell until he gets upto speed properly with the 15 a side game.
    Ryan Cross played first 15 at Waverley College, Randwick. He went on to the Australian Schoolboys as a centre. Willie Tonga "played a little bit of Rugby at school" whatever that means.I think I know which player might take a bit of getting up to speed with the 15 a side game.

Thats why I'd prefer The Force to make him a priority signing before all except Giteau. I'm a big Willie Tonga fan, and Bulldogs supporter. And "The Doggies" is where he should stay!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Gits and Drew Mitchell. Is it greedy to want both?

As for those players seeking the big money - dont want them, dont need them dont rate them - let them stay in League.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Drew will end up a Brumby.

vCash
    Exile- get your head out of the sand or wherever else its stuck up! As an ex-leaguey who saw the career of Michael O'Connor, a dual international, who 'went where the money was', obviously there are many players who have played both forms of Rugby at schoolboy or junior club level. And if they crossed back as a senior it wouldn't take much time to adjust.

If the Waratahs win the title or make the final this year, it will have a lot to do with the back three of Tuqiri & Rogers (both codes at school) & Sailor. Will you rate them then?
    Did you rate Andrew Walker and Peter Ryan (a forward-lock from Broncos and real enforcer) when they crossed to rugby and helped the Brumbies along the way to winning two S12 titles ?

The big picture is that Rugby is taking on league at their incentive recruiting 'poaching' strategy.
    Do you remember when Papworth was poached, only to be crash-tackled by league! A great player whose career was cut short. So I'm all for union now acquiring leagueys and reversing the flow!

Back to the thread: I'm with you Shasta re Cross being the more likely recruit. I don't beleive Gits will be leaving Larkham, or same of DMitchell from the growing Reds brigade.
    As someone else said, I'll believe it when the player states it at the press conference.
    Too often, the real players in this game are the managers who want more for their client (and themselves), by offsetting clubs or codes against each other. Sells newspapers & newsfootage too!