Thread: YOUNG BACKROWER McCALMAN EXCITED AT FORCE CHANCE

vCash

YOUNG BACKROWER McCALMAN EXCITED AT FORCE CHANCE

Ben McCalman adds more depth, youth and quality to the Emirates Western Force backrow and he's excited to be in Perth preparing for his first Super 14 season.

McCalman was part of the Waratahs Academy in 2009, but was forced to sit out much of the year through injury. However, the 21-year-old showed superb form with his club side Sydney University – so good in fact that he earned a call up to the Wallabies camp last month.

At 192cm and 108kg, McCalman adds further depth and versatility to the impressive Force backrow and he has the ability to play in a number of different positions playing different roles.

He has only been in Perth a week and is still recovering from having some screws and a plate taken out of his ankle, but he likes what he sees of both the Force and the city so far.

"I'm enjoying it so far even though I'm injured at the moment. I'm just trying to get through the rehab to get back as soon as possible," McCalman said.

"I'm also trying to find my way around Perth, but I'm really liking what I see so far. Everything is very positive around the place, there's a lot of new faces in the group and everyone seems keen to work together, and I think we'll go well next year."

After a long year on the sidelines for much of 2009, McCalman was looking for a change to get out of Sydney and the Force became an easy option to provide him with a new home once they showed an interest in his services.

He only expects to be sidelined for another three weeks as his ankle recovers, is still able to do some training work and he's already looking forward to what 2010 could hold for him.

"I was sort of injured all of last year and spent nine months in rehab before playing with Sydney Uni where I went well. Then I had the opportunity to come over here and thought why not come over and give it a go," he said.

"It's nothing too serious, I just had a plate and some screws taken out from a previous injury. It should just be another couple of weeks until I get back into training fully. First of all I just want to get back into it and do that at least two weeks before Christmas. Then I'll look to push for a spot in the side next year hopefully."

McCalman is new to the group and hasn’t seen one of the now infamous grappling sessions yet, but he has heard plenty about them and is actually looking forward to getting involved.

"I actually haven’t seen one of those yet, I only just came in last Friday, but I would much rather be in there than not to be honest," he said.

"The boys say it is hard, but at the same time they get a lot out of it so it will be great to get involved with it."

McCalman's talents have been compared to another country boy in the Force and Wallabies star Richard Brown, and McCalman enjoyed meeting him in Wallabies camp in October.

He can't wait to further his development alongside the likes of him, David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe, Pek Cowan and Matt Dunning, while also learning under coach John Mitchell.

"I only met him for the first time in that Wallabies camp a few weeks ago, and he's a country boy as well and I should get along with him well," he said.

"They are all in the Wallabies squad so it will be great to learn off them. John Mitchell is also great at teaching the back rowers so I'm looking forward to benefiting from that as well."

McCalman played Australian Schoolboys in 2005-06, Under 19s in 2007 and then Australian Under 20s in 2008, but it was the Australian A appearance while he was still at school that stands out as his career highlight to date.

"Probably playing for Australia A when I was still in Year 12 and we beat the New Zealand Schoolboys team at Victoria Barracks was my biggest highlight so far."

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    His height might see him slotting in at 6 or 8. I guess it'll be a hotly contested couple of jumpers next year.

Hodgeo will have to work some miracles to keep his spot with the tall timber that's arriving.

C'mon the

vCash
    Hodgo at hooker?

vCash
    He's already added bulk to get to 6, I don't know whether the pie shops of Perth can manage him converting to hooker.

C'mon the

vCash
    Hodgo's too good to leave on the bench, but might end up competing with Bam-Bam for the 7 jersey. The alternative then is dropping the weight for speed and converting him to a centre. Crossy and Hodgo at 12 & 13?

vCash
    hodgo too small for a number 8? id pick hi over brown.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Bugger we may have a really good bench for a change!! Talent on the bench is not an overrated thing to have especially when you are playing the big teams. Cant wait for replacements to come on and actually not grimace.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome to WA Ben
    More top shelf country blood

Having a classy bench is only a problem if you have ego's involved.
    I guess all pro sportsmen have to have some level of ego however our backrow battery all strike me as being at the lower end of the scale.
    For mine our #7 and #8 are all but locked in by two Wallabies, with match day room for a #6 and a #19 plus an inevitable injury or two.
    Now, about that Hooker...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    We have two.....Ben Whitakker and Ryan Tyrell...(who by the way is on Player Profiles as a full contract??) Then of course there's Pekko, and the mighty Donut who apparently can both play hooker.

It'll be very interesting to watch the first scrum and lineout of the season. I can imagine the trials will see all sorts of senanigans in the front row trialling options at 2.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    McCalman is a bigger unit than Brown, although it will be interesting to see what a Super 14 pre-season does to his weight. Maybe an option for 8, with Brown playing 6?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    On weight, was doodling away last night looking at our heaviest viable (ie a pos selection, not just on pure weight, not nec first selection) and it is looking pretty solid, even with light weight Backrowers.

1. Henderson 117kg
    2. Cowan 116kg
    3. Fairbrother 119kg
    4. Hockings 112kg
    5. Sharpe 113kg
    6. Stanford 110kg
    7. Pocock 103kg
    8. Brown 103kg

Total 893kg.

The weights are those given on the new profiles however I'm pretty sure a few of them are light so can safely call that selection a 900kegger.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Ben McCalman: A big, tough country boy who doesn't miss."

Antonio Halangahu (Daniel's brother) pre Shute Shield Final team review.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Ben bloody impressed with the work rate.... reminds me of a rocky elson mould. Good future I feel