Thread: All Blacks playmaker Dan Carter recalled for Test with England

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks playmaker Dan Carter recalled for Test with England

by Julian Guyer in London, England
    November 19, 2009

New Zealand playmaker Dan Carter was included in a near full-strength New Zealand side for this weekend's Twickenham encounter against England.
    The star fly half was banned from Saturday's 20-6 win away to Italy in Milan while serving a one-week suspension for a high tackle on Wales replacement scrum-half Martin Roberts during the All Blacks' 19-12 win in Cardiff on November 7.

Carter, who has been struggling with a calf injury, may well have been rested from the Italy game in any event.

But now, with the benefit of a week's break, he is ready to pit his wits against England No.10 Jonny Wilkinson as two of the world's best go head-to-head.

"If you've got a good 10, things go quite well for you," said New Zealand assistant coach Steve Hansen.

"They are probably the two best 10s in the last decade. When you get two of the best players in the world up against each other, it makes for a great contest."

First choice right winger Cory Jane and leading tighthead prop Neemia Tialata, the only two All Blacks to have so far played all three Tests on a tour that began with a Bledisloe Cup win over Australia in Tokyo, were rested by Henry.

"Neemia and Cory have played every game on tour, we thought it time to give them a bit of space," Henry said.

They were replaced by 20-year-old Zac Guildford, winning only his second cap and 21-year-old Owen Franks, gaining his eighth.

New Zealand captain and openside flanker Richie McCaw, in line to become the first man to win the IRB player of the year award twice, returns to lead the team after not taking the field against Italy.

Winger Sitiveni Sivivatu and lock Tom Donnelly were the only two survivors from the New Zealand team that won at the San Siro stadium.

On the bench hooker Corey Flynn, suffering with a hamstring strain, has been bracketed alongside Aled de Malmanche, who arrived in London on Wednesday after being summoned from holiday in Bali.

New Zealand have won their last seven Tests against England, who last weekend struggled to beat Argentina 16-9.

But coach Graham Henry, whose side posted a New Zealand Twickenham record score of 32-6 in last year's corresponding fixture, said: "It doesn't get much bigger than England at Twickenham.

"It will be another fantastic challenge for the All Blacks. We are focused on preparing well and look forward to playing a determined England side."

England were so dire in attack against the Pumas they were booed at half-time by the normally loyal Twickenham crowd.

But Henry, who had England manager Martin Johnson as his captain when coaching the 2001 British and Irish Lions in Australia, was in no doubt the hosts would raise their game this weekend.

"They've been here before, they got booed in the 2007 World Cup and ended up playing in the final," said former Wales coach Henry.
    Johnson recalled veterans Simon Shaw and Joe Worsley to England's pack and Henry added: "I don't know some of them (the England players) but I know Joe Worsley and Simon Shaw.

"They've been around a long time, they are quality footballers and will add a physicality to their pack.

"We respect England. They are inclined to come right when they play big games.

"This Test match they will be on the edge of the edge, England will play well and give 100 percent. We've got no illusions about where they are at. We are expecting a big test."
    Agence France-Presse
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23210,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kiwi team 'tweet' to escape penalty

All Black tweet ... Two Kiwi player revealed the team before the official announcement over social networking site Twitter. Source: Reuters

ALL Black duo Cory Jane and Neemia Tialata won't face any sanction after revealing they'd been left out of this weekend's team to play England at Twickenham on social networking site Twitter.

New Zealand coach Graham Henry said he had to "find out what bloody Twitter was,'' adding: "I thought he was the new five-eighth (fly-half) playing for England.''

Winger Jane and prop Tialata posted the news they'd been rested on Tuesday, the day before the official team announcement at New Zealand's hotel.

But Henry took a relaxed view after naming his team, saying: "It's not a major thing, is it? I haven't lost any sleep over it. I saw the headline, shrugged my shoulders and got on with it. I will have a quiet reminder tomorrow (with Jane and Tialata) but it won't be six of the cane,'' the former schoolmaster added.

"I had to find out what bloody Twitter was, I thought he was the new five-eighth playing for England.''

The New Zealand pair are not the only sportsmen who have pre-empted a team announcement on Twitter. Australia cricketer Phillip Hughes got into hot water with team management after announcing on Twitter he'd been left out of the third Test of this year's Ashes series against England.

When it was officially revealed, it became apparent that Henry has overhauled his team again for this weekend's rugby union Test against England at Twickenham. The team for Saturday features 13 personnel changes to the one that beat Italy 20-6 last weekend, and contains half the lineup that won 19-12 at Wales the week before.

Dan Carter is set to become the All Blacks' all-time leading scorer when he returns from suspension to play at flyhalf, with only winger Sitiveni Sivivatu surviving from the backs that played in Milan. Carter needs just two points, the equivalent of one conversion, to overtake Andrew Mehrtens' tally of 967.

Ben Smith drops out of the squad entirely and is replaced on the right wing by 20-year-old Zac Guildford, who made his debut against Wales two weeks ago. Mils Muliaina returns at fullback, with Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu the centers.

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Dan Carter, Jimmy Cowan; Tony Woodcock, Andrew Hore, Owen Franks, Brad Thorn, Tom Donnelly, Adam Thomson, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read. Res: Corey Flynn or Aled de Malmanche, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Jerome Kaino, Andy Ellis, Stephen Donald, Tamati Ellison

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Seriously, do these blokes even stop to think?
    I suspect it will be a little more than a "quiet reminder".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.