Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Genia is emerging as a once-in-a-generation halfback for Wallabies

vCash

Will Genia is emerging as a once-in-a-generation halfback for Wallabies

Will Genia is emerging as a once-in-a-generation halfback for Wallabies

November 08, 2009 .Will Genia, the discovery of the season, is fast emerging as a once-in-a-generation halfback for Australia after again stealing the show in the Wallabies's 18-9 Cook Cup win over England at Twickenham.

In only his fourth Test start - after debuting during the Tri Nations with a "man-of-gold" effort in Australia's 21-6 victory over South Africa - Genia was awarded official man-of-the-match honours after terrorising England in their own backyard with another dazzling display.

The great Nick Farr-Jones debuted on the Wallabies's 1984 grand slam tour and, a quarter of a century on, Genia is being hailed as Australia's long-term solution for the No.9 position.

Genia is a breath of fresh air for Australian rugby fans, his crisp service giving star five-eighth Matt Giteau time and space to shine and spark the Wallabies backline into action.

Coach Robbie Deans lauded the pint-sized Genia for his courage, poise and vision after the the Port Moresby-born 21-year-old crowned his memorable display with his maiden Test try.

"He was great," Deans said. "He's a calm bloke for a young man.

"He's offering us a lot in terms of being the hinge between the front and the back.

"Obviously the work's got to happen in front of him for him to have any scope, and that was happening, which allowed him to threaten those inside channels.

"He does that well when he's presented with that opportunity and that helps our game. It means that we're not just transferring pressure to the backs.

"He commands something of the inside defence, which just creates that little bit of doubt and allows us to get the ball with a little bit more width, and that saps energy and, over time, takes its toll on the opposition."

Savouring his "amazing" Twickenham experience, the fearless Genia insisted "there's no point being nervous".

"You've got to be excited and look forward to the challenge because it's an opportunity that you never want to take for granted, playing for your country," he said.

"I just try to be as calm as I can. No point if you've made a mistake thinking about it and dwelling on it because you're just going to make more mistakes."

And confirming his confidence, Genia said he sensed there'd be tryscoring chances after studying footage of England.

"I thought their pillars - their ones, two, three - were a little bit sluggish and I kind of had a feeling that if they got into that one position, I could get out and beat them on the outside," he said of his close-range strike.

"But it was great build-up play from the forwards - patience and composure - and we got to their line and they presented me with the opportunity and I just did my best to take it.

"You just take the opportunities as they come really. If it's on to run, you run. If it's on to kick, you kick. If it's on to pass, you pass.

"You've just got to be aware of what's in front of you."

Deans said Genia's only problem was getting his man-of-the-match trophy home.

"We're only allowed 20kg in that bag and his prize is 20kg itself," he said.

"It's bigger than me," Genia added, only half joking

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html
    headline is a little over the top, but i think the point they are trying to get at is that Genia has the ability to lock down the Wallaby halfback position for years to come like Far Jones and Gregan before him, which i pretty much agree with, ive said it before and il say it again that ive never understood the obsession with Burgess, his 25/26? and seemingly got worse with experience, Genia is 21 and has grown in stature every game.

His kicking game against England was marvelous i though, some of his passing was still shonky, but his kicking and running game really helped out the wallabies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It kinda felt like Genia was leading the Wallabies around the park more than Matt Giteau was. There were a number of times when Genia put England under immense pressure- particularly two or three kicks- you had to feel sorry for Matt Bananaman. And lets not forget the try. People were talking on the another thread about Wilko being man of the match but which game were they watching?! Wilko had a couple of shoddy kicks and what the hell were England doing going for a try with 3 minutes to go and 9 points behind?!?!?!?!?! I mean take the penalty and use the remaining time to score a bloody try. Given that England seemed to win the battle of the breakdown (where was George Smith all day?) and the scrum and line-out were mostly even I would say Genia was the difference between winning and losing for Australia.

Credit to England for actually giving the ball some air. When that backline matures it could be very dangerous. The kicks to Bananaman on the wing were heart stoppers.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    watching the game for the first time now. and i'd definatley say giteau was upstaged by genia last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    watching the game for the first time now. and i'd definatley say giteau was upstaged by genia last night.
    Genia's job is to upstage the opposition half back not his own fly half. You won't get far if the 9,10 combination isn't working.

Its not a comp between Gits and Genia. If either one trys to outshine the other the Wallabies will be in strife.

Already last night I could see Gits losing focus on his role out there and trying again to do individual runs when he should have kicked or passed.

Someone always wants to be the hero.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Genia's job is to upstage the opposition half back not his own fly half. You won't get far if the 9,10 combination isn't working.

Its not a comp between Gits and Genia. If either one trys to outshine the other the Wallabies will be in strife.

Already last night I could see Gits losing focus on his role out there and trying again to do individual runs when he should have kicked or passed.

no one is saying its a competition, he merely said that Genia played better then Gits, the 9-10 combination looks to be working fine, its what Gits does with the ball once he has received it that is drawing the quesitons.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hate to say I told you so but I've been calling it for three seasons now...
    He had a real look of confidence about him in this match, kind of like a comfort zone thing, perhaps a self belief.
    I believe the headline (for once!) is on the money.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    no one is saying its a competition, he merely said that Genia played better then Gits, the 9-10 combination looks to be working fine, its what Gits does with the ball once he has received it that is drawing the quesitons.
    I was trying to get across that I think Gits's ego will get in the way of these two being a good 9//10 combination.

vCash
    I was trying to get across that I think Gits's ego will get in the way of these two being a good 9//10 combination.
    i know what you were trying to say, but considering the article was about genia and the fact that he seems to have a decent combination with gits makes it a rather unecessary and unsubstantiated point.

vCash
    the fact that Genia would run put the English forwards into minds and gave Gits time the direct play. Watch the lead up to the AAC try when Giteau directs the play quickly and knows the space moving across to the left before Genia arrives at the breakdown. Genia knows Gits has moved left and pulls a quick drive pass out and Gits throws the cut out pass to AAC who’s' fend and leg drive does the rest. Quick, decisive attack.

What I really like about Genia is awareness of players around him both his own team and the opposition. I don't remember a pass which missed the mark all night, bar the one to AAC on the run in the first half when Hynes broke the line on the right....

While Cooper and Digby defended well they still didn't like tackling the ball into the tackle and into the maul resting in some losee ball. They need to hold the ball and recycle sometimes.

vCash

perhaps that post wasnt all the clear. i though genia was the player providing the direction for the wallabies backline during the game. i thought that he gave the wallabies more direction and kept them attacking.

my point was more of the attack revolving around how in the past year or so. the wallabies flyhalf directs the backline. gits and the rest of the wallabies seemed to be being directed by genia.

vCash
    He reminded you of a young lad called George out there on Saturday

vCash
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching Genia..well done.

Fly-halves, they all have big egos, no? No matter the size of the ego, any decent fly would want a scrummie who's able to do just what Genia did on Saturday. Able to control/direct the scrum, deliver crisp passes (most of the time), kick off the base effectively, makes effective runs and, keeps the defences guessing.

Basically, the flyhalf wants good ball, with plenty of time (in rugby terms) and minimal opposition in his face. What the scrummie does to achieve that is no reason for jealousy and/or discontentment but rather squeals of joy and excitement and I highly doubt Giteau would be an exception to this.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Praise KQ, but a little worried about the "squeals of joy and excitement"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    it's a backs thing!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Praise KQ, but a little worried about the "squeals of joy and excitement"
    Call it a general disdain for flyhalves (even though I wanted to be one )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast