Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stirling Mortlock ruled out of Australia's tour of Britain and Ireland

vCash

Stirling Mortlock ruled out of Australia's tour of Britain and Ireland

Stirling Mortlock has been ruled out of Australia's tour of Britain and Ireland after aggravating a calf muscle injury.

The centre and former captain was due to fly out of Australia and join the squad in Dublin on Sunday for the last three Tests against Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but injured his calf muscle again during a training run.

The Wallabies, who play England tomorrow, have already lost the centres Rob Horne and Berrick Barnes through injury.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...ortlock-injury

---------- Post added at 05:35 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 18:26 ----------

Mortlock's loss turns up heat on centres

Greg Growden | November 7, 2009

LONDON: In another blow to the Wallabies, former captain Stirling Mortlock has been ruled out of their grand slam tour after aggravating his calf injury.

Mortlock was due to fly out of Australia and join the squad in Dublin on Sunday for the last three Tests against Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but re-injured his calf muscle during a training run.

The Wallabies had already lost fellow centres Rob Horne and Berrick Barnes to injury, giving new centre pairing Digby Ioane and Quade Cooper a chance to make their mark.

Cooper was yesterday trying to make sense of his strange but fruitful week. When he walked into the Wallabies team meeting on Thursday, where Robbie Deans announced the Test line-up to play England, the Queensland utility back wasn't really taking much notice, believing he would again be on the bench. Then he looked up at the large whiteboard and saw his name next to the number 12.

One of the other players patted him on the back. That brought him back to reality. Yes, he was in the Test team, but at inside-centre.

And to think he already thought he had been involved in what he assumed would be the highlight of his northern hemisphere tour - meeting and playing against his childhood hero, Carlos Spencer. When the Wallabies headed to Gloucester on Tuesday, Cooper was nearly a nervous wreck. Growing up in New Zealand, he was obsessed with Spencer. He was the footballer, the man he wanted to be. Now he was about to play opposite him.

''It was the weirdest feeling,'' Cooper said on Thursday. ''I had a huge poster of him on my bedroom door leading into the 2003 World Cup. That poster was up there for about three years. Then when I first started playing for the Reds as an 18-year-old, he had just finished up with the Auckland Blues, so I was pretty gutted I didn't get the chance to play against him.

''So you can see why the other night was very special. I went out on the field to check the ground, and throw the ball around before kick-off, and he jogged past. I was thinking to myself, 'Oh man'. I wanted to go and say hello, but decided it might not be the best time. I was mesmerised.''

Cooper did get over it, with his man-of-the-match performance a prime reason for his elevation to starting Test status. He didn't quiver in front of his hero, instead outplaying Spencer. After the match, Cooper at last built up the courage to approach him.

''I sat down and had a chat with him and he's a really good bloke,'' Cooper said. ''I had a bit of a late shot on him during the game, and I felt bad about it. Before the game, I was thinking, 'Well, he's my idol, but I still have to get him with a good tackle.' The only time there was a chance to do that he had passed the ball and I took him out. So I decided I had better apologise after the game.

''I approached him, we swapped jerseys, I asked to have my photograph taken with him. I sent the photo home and all my family thought it was awesome because they know how I idolised him as a youngster.''

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...247751150.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    we have potentially see the last of Mortlock in the green and gold

vCash
    i'm thinking you might be right.

vCash
    Could be the case. Nonetheless I guess next years S14 form will be the answer. I'm not sure if the Brumbies are going to do all that well so it may be tough for him to look good and get the Wallabies call...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah it'll definitely be hard for Mortlock with the Brumbies likely to finish somewhere between 10th and 12th.

Ioane is all power and pace. He may not handle the ball so well but if Deans sticks with the dual playmakers its crazy not to have the strongest and fastest player in the backline a bit closer to the action.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Brumbies blew it recruiting this year when they failed to sign Ioane... screwed next year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Brumbies blew it recruiting this year when they failed to sign Ioane... screwed next year...
    I'm not sure if the Brumbies are going to do all that well
    Bit early for the excuses to start innit?

What happened to the bravado of a few months ago?........."all Wallaby back line"......"Giteau"......."world class Rugby program" ......."Giteau"........."experienced top level coaches"......"Giteau"...........??????

All jokes aside, that's pretty dismal, Mud.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    yep Brumbies squad not a chance...

vCash
    The Brumbies still have a plethora of Wallabies, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I thought they'd recruited more talent than they'd lost. Gits is still a superb Super 14 player at either 10 or 12.

vCash
    So to get it straight, Cooper and Ioane are the new saviours of Wallaby rugby now are they?

Still not convinced Deans as the wallaby coach isn't an episode of Punk'd.

vCash
    Nah WRF Cooper and Ioane are the best we've got on two legs.

After the Super 14 he had, I can't see how anybody's questioning anything other than match fitness for Digby. He was far and away the best 13 in the land. Cooper is better than the rest (of those fit) but should be playing 10, because he won't see enough ball at 12 with Gits at 10.

I guess it's a worrying state of affairs when a pretty fragile #10 like Cooper is ranked so far ahead the rock solid incumbent by the majority of the rugby watching public.

I hope it's some sort of Robbie deans plan which will bear fruit by the time RWC rolls around.

C'mon the

vCash
    I must say next year we need someone to stand up as a Wallabies fullback so AAc can go Play 13... Perhaps Shep, Lealiifano, Beale, someone please? because the Wallabies are short for the coming RWC 2011. AAC is best at 13.

vCash
    Shep if fit will dance into #15 for the Wallabies.

AAC is likely to take his customary bench utility player spot.

All this assuming no injuries.....or ridiculous improvements in form by anybody.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Shep if fit will dance into #15 for the Wallabies.

AAC is likely to take his customary bench utility player spot.

All this assuming no injuries.....or ridiculous improvements in form by anybody.
    I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, however I cant really see Shep being a regular Wallaby starter in the future.

vCash
    Shep was struggling when he broke his leg... Anyway There is a whole season to find form, But Shep might not get a regular starting 15 spot at the Force... Will JOC be asking for it... Who else can play in the back 3 at the Force? who is fit...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast