Thread: Force's O'Young takes the Philippines to heart

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force's O'Young takes the Philippines to heart

Western Force scrum-half Chris O'Young has returned home from a typhoon-devastated Philippines with an enriched outlook on life as he prepares for his fifth season in Super 14 competition in WA.

O'Young, who is looking forward to sharing scrum-half duties with new recruit Brett Sheehan this season, has had a busy few months playing club rugby in Sydney before taking off on a trip to help expand rugby throughout the Asian region.

With a half-Asian background, the 28-year-old feels it is his duty to assist in the development of the game among communities which don't have the same privileges or opportunities as players in Australia.

He is also excited about his own prospects for the season, having previously competed with Matt Henjak and John Valentine for the scrum-half job. He is now looking forward to challenging Sheehan for the role.

"We have a fantastic new group. I feel refreshed after four months of club rugby in Sydney," O'Young said.

"I'm overcoming some niggling injuries after straining a medial ligament during the semifinals in Sydney but the recovery is well on the way.

"There is something new and fresh in the club with so many new players which will be boosted when our Wallabies return."

He said the trip to the Philippines was an experience he would never forget and he has already committed to another trip to China with the Australasian Rugby Association, a not-for-profit organisation assisting with the development of rugby in the region.

"I'm passionate about giving back to these communities especially giving underprivileged kids some direction in life through sport," O'Young said.

Many of the children O'Young spent time with grew up in orphanages and haven't had much encouragement in life or anyone to give them direction and purpose.

He said sport was one way many of the children could lift themselves and their families out of poverty.

"There was so much raw talent among the players who have had virtually no coaching to speak of but have developed skills to such a remarkably high level," he said.

O'Young arrived in Manila in the wake of deadly typhoon Parma.

He said the devastation was evident everywhere but hope remained wherever he went, including a technical college and the Bahay Bata Orphanage where underprivileged children and young adults were provided with food, shelter, education and, most importantly, hope for the future.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ines-to-heart/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The West have really picked up their game - we've had a couple of interesting articles to mull over after a massive drought for 3 months

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Good article and probably better researched than one a couple of weeks ago @news.com.au, claiming that Craig Wing had accepted to represent The Philippines at 7's in the Commonwealth Games.

They might need to get the PI admitted to the Commonwealth before that can happen.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    He is also excited about his own prospects for the season, having previously competed with Matt Henjak and John Valentine for the scrum-half job. He is now looking forward to challenging Sheehan for the role.

The West have really picked up their game - we've had a couple of interesting articles to mull over after a massive drought for 3 months

It's a new writer at the West, well new for rugby - Gene Stephan

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Chris O'Young is a great kind of person to have in a team. Between this article and one a few years back about him saying that he spent most of his spare time on tour studying for a Masters in something (Economics maybe?) it paints a fairly good picture of him. It's when people don't really have pursuits outside of professional sport that they get into bogan behaviour. You've gotta have at least half a squad of talented (if not necessarily brilliant) and mature players who are level headed and don't get into stupid behaviour and lead others down the same path.

Hmmm. I wonder what outlets Lote Tuqiri had outside rugby?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    It's a new writer at the West, well new for rugby - Gene Stephan
    I'm pretty sure that, while she's new to rugby, she's been writing for the West for ages and ages. Perth Lynx and West Coast Fever and stuff.

Off topic, sort of:

Slightly interesting story about Chris O: I reffed Wanneroo v Rockingham when he and Junior played. Unusually, Mrs Ecky and the Ecky twins came to the game (well, they dropped me off and went shopping in Rockingham, anyway).

When we left Chris O and Junior were leaving at the same time, so I pointed them out to Mrs E as being players. On the way home, we had to call into the local chicken fast food place to feed the Ecky twins (3yrs old) and I waited in the car while Mrs E went in to buy the stuff. She came back and told me Chris O and Junior were in there.
    I said "bugger: should have got you to ask him (Chris O) if he was staying".
    She said "Yes he is".
    I expressed pleasant surprise that Mrs Ecky had (a) known he might be leaving, and (b) had the nurries to go and ask him.

Mrs E said "I thought you asked if he was stunning"

vCash
    Hmm good on Mrs E LOL

a female rugby writer - yiphee

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's when people don't really have pursuits outside of professional sport that they get into bogan behaviour. You've gotta have at least half a squad of talented (if not necessarily brilliant) and mature players who are level headed and don't get into stupid behaviour and lead others down the same path.

Hmmm. I wonder what outlets Lote Tuqiri had outside rugby?
    Anyone know what JO'C plans for his spare time?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Homework

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    studying himself in the mirror?

Player
    vCash
    You sure Gene is a female? That's usually a male spelling I'm fairly sure e.g Gene Wilder, Gene Simmons

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Yeah I am worried about that one a bit too. His dad seems pretty on the button though I figure he'll make sure his son has something he's doing on the side.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I just followed that link, Gerry. Remind me never to question your sauces. Or play you for money at Trivial Pursuit.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "O'Young, who is looking forward to sharing scrum-half duties with new recruit Brett Sheehan this season..."

Somehow I doubt it...

Good article though

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.