Thread: Wallabies job on England getting easier and easier

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies job on England getting easier and easier

A handful more England players out injured....

White, Easter join England injury list

England's plans for next month's rugby Tests suffered yet more disruption on Saturday when forwards Julian White and Nick Easter joined an already extensive injury list.

Leicester veteran White became the latest frontrower to be ruled out of the Twickenham encounters against Australia, Argentina and New Zealand after tearing a hamstring in the 18-12 Premiership loss to leaders London Irish.

Meanwhile, No.8 Easter was left on crutches with what appeared to be a hamstring problem after Harlequins' 26-22 win at Worcester.

After a match watched by England manager Martin Johnson, the 2003 World Cup winning captain, Leicester rugby director Richard Cockerill said: "Julian has torn his right hamstring and will not be available for international duty."

With England losing players in all positions because of injury, London Irish playmaker Ryan Lamb did his chances of a Test call no harm with a confident all-round display.

"Ryan is only 22, and he is still learning to control a game," said Exiles' coach Toby Booth. "If he continues to do that, however, I am sure England will come to have a look at him."

Veteran prop White's injury came just days after it was confirmed ex-England captain Phil Vickery will miss the fixtures against Australia, Argentina and New Zealand because of a three-month absence due to back surgery.

Fellow prop Andrew Sheridan was already sidelined for at least four months with a dislocated shoulder, placing a question mark against his participation in this season's Six Nations, where England begin their campaign against Wales on February 6.

With hooker Lee Mears already out because of knee ligament damage, Johnson must contemplate a complete revamp of what was an all British and Irish Lions front row.

It now seems as if the former lock is also without two thirds of his probable back row after Easter joined flanker Tom Rees, out for four months with a shoulder injury, on the sidelines.

"It looks like he has a calf muscle injury," said Quins coach John Kingston.

"He is on crutches and it is impossible to say how many weeks he will be off but there is obviously a question mark as to whether he will be available for the autumn internationals.

"He will report to England tomorrow (Sunday) and their medical staff will have to assess the injury."

In Saturday's other Premiership matches, Wasps enjoyed a successful trip to the southwest thrashing Gloucester 35-6, Newcastle beat Bath 27-16 and Northampton edged Sale 21-16.

Easter is the tenth member of Johnson's original elite squad to suffer an injury ahead of the start of England's Test programme, a list that also includes several setbacks behind the scrum with fullback Delon Armitage (shoulder), centre Riki Flutey (shoulder) and outside-half Toby Flood (knee) in line to miss all three matches.

Meanwhile several England possibles including wing Topsy Ojo (knee), No.8 Luke Narraway (back) and stand-off Danny Cipriani (calf) have been sidelined from all the encounters against the southern hemisphere trio.

Johnson has more than a team's worth of players out injured. Fans wondering how he will plug the gaps should have a clearer idea on Monday, when he is due to announce a revised squad.

England open their season against Australia at Twickenham on November 7.
    From www.rugbyheaven.com.au

Jeez. Three top line props, a first choice lock, hooker and number 8 from the forwards and the first choice inside centre and fullback. And thats not including Ojo, Narraway, Cipriani, Flood and Rees who would have all pushed really hard for a bench spot at least.

If Robbie can't win this one I will seriously start to question his ability as a coach. I like the guy and I think he was a great coach for the Crusaders but recent games have me a bit uncertain about him. It's all well and good to blame the players but it is the coach's responsibility to get the best out of them (however good that may be).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If the Wallabies can't beat a limping England, you won't be the only one questioning Robbie's ability to coach. Not even the Twickenham roar shold be able to stop this being a blow-out. As long as it isn't raining, I predict a win by over 30.

vCash
    Well, there is always the possibility that the young buck grab their opportunity with both hands and put together a stellar performance!

It wouldn't be the first time in international rugby!

That being said, It's the responsibility of Australia's hard heads to make sure the English don't get the chance to shine in such a way.

C'mon the

vCash
    you should never underestimate England though, they have a incredibly player pool to pick from, not only that they always have the luxury of calling in the experienced players that australia lacks, England could realistically put forward two international sides and cause most sides a lot of dramas.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    In the forwards, TOCC, I would agree with you but not with the backs. Riki Flutely couldn't even make it with the Hurricanes and he has been touted as England's big thing at 12. They had fairly chronic fullback issues for a while too until Delon Armitage came along and he's out now too. A quick look says roughly half of the typical English 30 man squad is unavailable and as good as some of the replacements may be they won't be 100% familiar with the England setup and they probably won't form the same strength combinations as the regulars.

They could surprise the Wallabies and take this one but to be honest a more experienced English side crumbled against the Wallabies last year and so there is no reason why it shouldn't happen again.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    With the excuses already flowing thick and fast for our rose petaled friends, I don't expect to see our pommy mate LTP lurking in the pages TWF too soon!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    LTP has been MIA for about two years

vCash
    as has the English Rugby Team .... jeez they havn't really recovered since Jonny booted that ball

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby