Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: There is life after Giteau: Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

There is life after Giteau: Mitchell

JUSTIN CHADWICK

October 20, 2009 - 1:04PM
    AAP
    Western Force coach John Mitchell insists his team will be a genuine contender in the upcoming Super 14 season despite the loss of star flyhalf Matt Giteau and several other high-profile backs.

Giteau's defection to the Brumbies, plus the departure of fellow stars Drew Mitchell, Scott Staniforth and Josh Valentine, have some critics questioning whether the Force have the talent and depth to compete for a finals berth in 2010.

But Mitchell - buoyed by the arrivals of former Springbok Andre Pretorius, scrumhalf Brett Sheehan, utility back Mark Bartholomeusz and forwards Matt Dunning, Tim Fairbrother and Nic Henderson among others - is confident he has players at his disposal to create a formidable side.

"People would like to compare and look at the past and look at what individuals offered, but this is a new team on a new journey," Mitchell said.
    "It's really exciting from that aspect.

"It's important for us to appreciate the people who have played for the club and always we will appreciate them and reflect on what they've done but we've got to move on now and have moved on.

"They've moved on to different pastures, too.

"It's important to focus on what we do and how we come together and what we don't have or what we did have in the past."

Mitchell said the experienced Pretorius was more than a capable replacement for Giteau.

"He's got some really good strengths," Mitchell said.
    "He's got a good kicking game and ... likes to attack the line.
    "It will be refreshing for him in many ways to be able to express himself and be less limited.
    "With that experience, it brings composure.
    "Nine (Sheehan) and 10 (Pretorius) are going to be very experienced."

The Force have added 12 new faces to the squad over the off-season but are still on the lookout for a frontline hooker to replace Tai McIsaac, who headed to Japan after the end of last season.

Fit-again back Cameron Shepherd admitted it was strange to welcome so many new faces to the team.

"It was funny, in the gym there was a bit of awkward small talk between the guys that don't really know each other," Shepherd said.

"It kind of feels like a new team and that vibe's really fresh.
    "It's exciting, it's a good buzz here."

The Force started pre-season training this week but Mitchell won't have Wallabies Pek Cowan, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown, James O'Connor, Dunning, Ryan Cross and David Pocock at his disposal until January 4.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...1020-h627.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have no desire for this to sound like sour grapes. But, what exactly did Gitts do for us when he was here?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The aquaduct??

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I have no desire for this to sound like sour grapes. But, what exactly did Gitts do for us when he was here?
    If you take a quick glance at the other Super 14 teams the alternatives were fairly dire. For most of Giteau's time at the Force, Beale, Cooper and Lealiifano were the 10s for their respective teams. They don't have a whole lot of experience between them and each one has played a handful of cringe-worthy games. Now Giteau could be on and off but even his bad days were as good as Beale, Cooper and Lealiifano's good days. So the question really is: What did Giteau not do for us? That one has a much better answer.

That's why having Andre Pretorius will be handy because he isn't exactly renown for cocking up. He kicks well, passes well and runs the ball ok.

The big question mark over the Force squad as I see it is speed. We have a lot of tough driving players who break tackles well but we don't have any real speed merchants.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Mitch is completely right. I thought Giteau was alright for his first season and a bit, but it's just been downhill since then. Wait for Grumbles to blame it on Mitch *rolls eyes*. But for sure there is life after Giteau. No questions. Our forward pack will be our strength next season, whereas last it was our all-Wallaby-backline that was supposendly going to win the season. Can't wait to see where we finish in comparison.

Giteau wasn't the beginning or end of the world. We will be fine!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Ask not what Gits did for us - what did we do for Gits ?

"Apart from sanitation, medicine, public order, roads, fresh water what have the "Gits" ever done for us?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Giteau was great, he just wasn't the messiah he was made out to be - Nobody's perfect. He will be ably replaced by Pretorius.

Agree with JM's comment It's important for us to appreciate the people who have played for the club and always we will appreciate them and reflect on what they've done but we've got to move on

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Gits was a stellar signing for the club. He suffered the slings and arrows of our (my) expectation. I spent most of his final year frustrated and angry with him and the team management in general because it became quite apparent that some pretty ordinary #10s were matching his impact, when it is quite obvious that he would have been a stand out at #12.

I guess we'd need to consider who the Force had in the position, and 2009 saw the loss of a Jimmy Hilgendorf (TRAGEDY) I think Jimmy passing it to Gits would have been world beating in the context we had. Jimmy isn't anything hugely special, but a serviceable flyhalf with Matt Giteau outside him would have acres of space to play in......

Matt Giteau has done heaps for the Force, but not enough to justify the hype and the paycheck. I guess that's the long and the short of it. I'm not bitter, that slowly reduces the further we get away from 2009. By Feburary I'll have no problem remembering what Matt Giteau brought to the Force.........and reminding him of it at MES.

But that being said, If Dingo Deans puts him back into #12 where he's meant to be, I'll be one of his biggest fans again!

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Giteau was great, he just wasn't the messiah he was made out to be - Nobody's perfect. He will be ably replaced by Pretorius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Ask not what Gits did for us - what did we do for Gits ?

"Apart from sanitation, medicine, public order, roads, fresh water what have the "Gits" ever done for us?
    He is not the Messiah is he a very naughty boy!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Giteau has gone, the Force play on, that is all.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This might seem a bit strange, but it sort of feels like late 2005 again to me.

My reasoning for this is due to the large turnover of personnel we have suffered and the new blood brought in to replace them, with the "unknown quantity" tag hanging over the force. Also, we started against the Brumbies in Perth with some bloke called Giteau playing for the opposition and the idea of playing at MES - a new beginning for all of us.

On field results will tell the story for 2010, remembering that we haven't made the finals pre or during the Giteau era, so I agree with Mitch on this one.

vCash
    once again mitch thinks were finals contenders, did he not say that last season and the season before that? ..... Make no mistake giteau, like him or not will be be missed.. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but another mid table finish for force...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by slomo; 21-10-09 at 06:46.

vCash
    I would have thought that every team goes into a new season with expectations of being competitive and making the finals, or John Mitchell has been getting advice from Dennis Lillee in regards to his season predictions

vCash
    I reckon we'll do alright this season as long as we play to our strengths. We've got an awesome looking pack, a good tactical kicking game and a long range goal kicker.

Sound familiar?

The question that still hangs over this deal is do we want to make the finals or do we want to play pretty football?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Both
    Well, not "pretty"...lets call it "attractive"!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast