Thread: Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team Inc.

vCash

Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team Inc.

After reading F4E's assignment I decided to share mine. So we had to write a report on an Indigenous organisation and of course I chose something rugby related. Anyway, when I got to the end of it I realised that the organisation has next to no publicity outside of those who play against the representative team and those involved in the Ella 7s or those who travel past the offices. Its a great organisation and does a lot for Indigenous kids and gets rugby out in to remote communities. So I thought I'd give you all a quick spiel about some of what I wrote & hopefully raise some awareness about them & all the work they do. Here's their website http://www.rugby.com.au/lloyd_mcderm...me,122152.html

1962 marked the debut of Australia’s first Indigenous Australian rugby union player (International Rugby Board [IRB], 2008), Lloyd McDermott. His inclusion not only broke the drought for Indigenous players, but also proved to be surrounded in controversy when McDermott withdrew from a tour of South Africa. Refusing to become an ‘honorary white Australian’ (VIBE Australia Pty. Ltd., 2006), in order to appease the selectors, McDermott ultimately ended his rugby union career and took up rugby league. Since then, only six Indigenous Australians have represented Australia in rugby union and in an effort to increase Indigenous representation and provide youth with a future through the sport (Australian Rugby Union [ARU], 2009), the Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team Incorporated [LMRDT] began in 1992, with a name change in 1995.

The organisation is the only one of its kind to encourage participation, by Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander people, in the sport of rugby union. The organisation focuses on rugby union, with competitions at four levels; under 16s, under 18s, Ella Sevens and women’s rugby. The program’s goals aim at fostering the “…development of teamwork, confidence, leadership and rugby skills…” and promoting “…an ethos of good sportsmanship, good nutrition, drug and alcohol free living, and taking personal responsibility for positive life choices” (Australian Rugby Union, 2009). The LMRDT recognises that rugby union may not be suitable or appealing to everyone and has recently moved to extend the program to include golf and netball.

The LMRDT consists of one full time employee, a part time bookkeeper, a part time events manager and a board of directors; comprised of five co-directors, one secretary, one treasurer, two vice-presidents and one president. A few of the more well known board members include; Glen and Mark Ella, Brian Longbottom & Arthur Little.

The LMRDT’s key relationships are with the Australian Rugby Union and its affiliated bodies in each state. Primarily based in the eastern states, the organisation has built extensive relationships with the New South Wales [NSW] and Australian Capital Territory [ACT] Rugby Unions, including their country, schools and premier grade divisions. The growth and expansion of the organisation will only further the relationships between the LMRDT and other similar organisations, for other sporting codes, as well as their governing bodies.

The Ella Sevens, a tournament run by the LMRDT provides the opportunity to build relationships with other clubs, coaches and players. There is also an opportunity for the team to tour nationally and internationally.

The LMRDT has a Cultural Manager who is responsible for teaching the Under 16s and Under18s schoolboys a ‘Challenge Dance’. The dance is performed prior to each game played at the National tournament.

The 17 year history of the LMRDT stands as proof of the organisations success. The international success and participation at both a national and an international level demonstrates the organisation’s ability to identify talent and coach successful teams. With a minimum expectation of 500 participants per year (Indigenous Land Corporation, 2009) and a 17 year history, an estimated 8,500 men, women and children have taken part in the program.

-Australian Rugby Union. 2009. Australian Indigenous Rugby. http://www.rugby.com.au/Lloyd_mcderm...me,122152.html
    -Indigenous Land Corporation. 2009. Fact sheet: Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team. Australian Government. http://www.ilc.gov.au/webdata/resour...tFactSheet.PDF
    -International Rugby Board. 2008. Wallaby trailblazer: Lloyd McDermott. http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/feature...8,printer.htmx
    -VIBE Australia Pty. Ltd. 2006. Lloyd McDermott: In good company. Deadly Vibe 116 (2006). http://www.vibe.com.au/vibe.asp?PageID=1634

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work Laura.
    It really is strange there hasn't been at least a few more success stories at International level for Aboriginal players. Hopefully the likes of Beale being selected (finally!) to Tour and assumably be capped will help inspire another generation as the McDemott's and Ella's of the sport have before.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    most of the guys in Lloydies are league players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    most of the guys in Lloydies are league players.
    Your face is a league player

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Hardcore View Post
    Your face is a league player
    Which one?

vCash
    I do wonder why QLD being closer to these peoples aren't more proactive in their development... Additionally I also note that the Waratahs let go many boys from these backgrounds which the Brumbies happily pick up... mostly to their advantage...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "These peoples", "These backgrounds"... You weren't a Catholic Priest in a past life were you muddie?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.