Thread: Possums and Wombats are at the crossroads

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Possums and Wombats are at the crossroads

Rupert Guinness | October 8, 2009

WALLABIES back Ryan Cross says his self-belief is as strong as ever despite the frustration of his limited Test appearances this season. And he plans to show it in today's trial match for spots on the end-of-season tour.

Cross - whose Super 14 season with the Western Force has been followed by a less than satisfying run of four Tests compared to the 11 of last year - will certainly walk off after the trial at St Ignatius College in Riverview knowing he has had the chance to prove he is worth a touring berth.

While combinations in the teams will change during the trial that is open to the public and kicks off at 9.30am, he will oppose Adam Ashley-Cooper at outside-centre. Later, chances are he will also get his time against Rob Horne, who in turn could be switched to inside-centre against Kurtley Beale.

Cross is not alone in facing a determining match-up in a game where the two sides will be led by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans's two assistants - Jim Williams, whose line-up has been dubbed the Wombats, and Richard Graham who anointed his side the Possums.

Every player will be fighting for his place on the tour that will see the 35-man squad depart on October 24 for Japan to play a Test against the All Blacks in Tokyo then travel to Britain for the grand slam tour with games against England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

But, given his last Test in the starting XV was against South Africa in Perth on August 29, Cross is hungry to show he has more to offer.

''It's been a bit all over the shop since the Super 14,'' Cross said after the two sides went through their final run. ''It's been frustrating because I felt I made a lot of progress last year and haven't had many opportunities this year. That's the way it goes I suppose. I just hope I can get another shot.''

Ashley-Cooper is not expecting anything less than Test-level intensity from Cross, despite his lack of time on field in the Wallabies strip. ''It will be tough. He will be giving it everything he has got. I remember coming across him against the Force and he spilled me,'' Ashley-Cooper said.

As rare as internal trial matches are for the Wallabies, Cross said he had experienced quite a few of them during his days in rugby league when he played in the NRL for the Roosters when first and second grade played each other.

''Essentially, it is going to be like a game so you prepare that way,'' Cross said. ''Everyone has been under pressure this week. It's a big opportunity and I think everyone will be fired up.''

Ashley-Cooper concurred, saying: ''Some of the hardest games you play are in-house trials because everyone knows everyone. We are taking it seriously. They are taking it very, very seriously. Dingo [Deans] names the side [tomorrow] and this is the last chance [to be selected].''

No one has been more psyched for the match than the two coaches who will step up as Deans steps back to observe and take notes.

While both teams will be playing patterns from the Wallabies' game manual, the difference in preparatory methods between the coaches was clear. After training yesterday, Graham took the Possums, who include Cross and will wear gold jerseys, to a closed meeting.

''We are proud and competitive people and don't want to come second best,'' the Wallabies skills coach said.

The Wallabies forwards coach Williams took a more relaxed approach. After training he led the Wombats, who will wear green jerseys, to the hotel buffet for lunch. But when asked what was important about today's game, he said: ''First and foremost, to make sure we come out on top''.

Today's match also doubles as a fundraiser for the Samoan and Tongan tsunami victims.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...701061316.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not a bad way to start the school day at Iggies, I hope they have made a carnival of it for the other Sydney schools to be able to attend, would be a fantastic promotion for the code.

Two hours til kick off, you didn't need to do anything else this morning did you Ex

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    would love to have watched that...

Player
    vCash
    Went down to watch, it wasnt actually a game but they went through game phases and match day situations. Giving each side equal attacking and defensive situations to launch from.

What was obvious to me was that the green team or probables looked quite a bit stronger than the yellow or possibles squad. The green team forward pack looked stronger at scrum and lineout time, which you would have expected as they have trained together for a while. Mind you the front row of Ma'afu,TPN and Dunning looked pretty solid but were dominated by BennyA Pek and Baxter. Actually trestle
    didnt look too bad at all, their scrums went well.Hopefully he has found a new lease of life.TPN had his usual lively game and often swapped with Fitzpatrick.

Luke burgess for the yellow team had a hot and cold performance,throwing the ball to fresh air will not help his chances. JOC dropped the ball cold once,he needs to get that out of his game. I thought Richard Kingi did alright. Barnesy played well,Gits didnt do a lot but did his best. Cliffy Palu played well and touched down a few times,other than that the loosies were fairly even.
    A few sat out with injuries ,ben robinson,kepu,horwill,digby,stirlo,waugh were the ones I noticed on the sidelines.Hoiles came off injured,moore came off injured,
    hodgo got a bit banged up but none looked serious.

So overall I would say that they will select the original 30 that have trained together all year, purely because the combinations are so used to each other.

The other 5 places are wide open and will depend on versatility, so the selection for these last spots will be interesting.

I think they will add another prop,lock,digby,halfback/utility,back utility.

Grumbles was there so he will probably contradict everything I have said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Grumbles was there so he will probably contradict everything I have said.
    Burgess had an inspired day, was everywhere and threatened the whole match. Baxter was back to his inspired best. Barnes is the new Wallaby flyhalf. Mitchell was a complete player and Lote is the best player the world has ever seen!

C'mon the

vCash
    So overall I would say that they will select the original 30 that have trained together all year, purely because the combinations are so used to each other.

they may be used to each other but they don't play well, or haven't played well together this year

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Cookie, what did you think of McCalman did he play? Is there a complete team list anywhere?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Likely trial teams:

"Probables": James O'Connor, Digby Ioane, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Richard Kingi, Matt Giteau, Will Genia, Stephen Hoiles, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Mark Chisholm, David Dennis, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Pek Cowan. Res: Al Baxter, Wycliff Palu, Rocky Elsom.

"Possibles": Lachie Turner, Drew Mitchell, Ryan Cross, Kurtley Beale, Rob Horne, Quade Cooper, Luke Burgess, Mitch Chapman, George Smith, Ben McCalman, Nathan Sharpe, Dean Mumm, Salesi Ma'afu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Dunning. Res: Matt Hodgson, Damien Fitzpatrick, Josh Valentine.

Injured: Stirling Mortlock, Peter Hynes, Phil Waugh, Sekope Kepu, Nick Cummins, James Horwill, Benn Robinson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Burgess had an inspired day, was everywhere and threatened the whole match. Baxter was back to his inspired best. Barnes is the new Wallaby flyhalf. Mitchell was a complete player and Lote is the best player the world has ever seen!
    Be careful GIGS, You can get into trouble under copyright for not attributing quotes to their rightful owner. Grumbles is probably on the phone to his beak right now!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Cookie, what did you think of McCalman did he play? Is there a complete team list anywhere?

Both MacCalman and Dave Dennis played alright,I actually like MaCalman,he could be a bolter now that Sharpe is out,either one of them could step up.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Just seen some of the photo's of the game on Facebook looks like there were just a few clashes of heads.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!