Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Rebels Super 15: Recruitment

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Melbourne Rebels Super 15: Recruitment

The good news for the proposed Melbourne Rebels Super 15 franchise is that the two main parties, VicSuper15 and the VRU Rebels, have formed a partnership and the third is now sniffing around looking for an opportunity to participate.

This is now happening under the auspices of the ARU’s co-opted financial guru, John Wylie. That might mean we now have a viable option or indeed, a going concern.

Once it comes to pass and we’re potentially handed the baton by SANZAR, they’ll be establishing the structure that will deliver the stuff that we’re really interested in like who’ll be the coach; which players will they recruit; how competitive will they be; what will they be called and what will their playing strip look like?

You’d have to say that the establishment of the Western Force is a pretty good template to follow in terms of structure, implementation, coach and players. Sure, the Firepower sponsorship was a bit of a disaster but you can’t win them all. The franchise in WA has been bedded down and apart from the ongoing difficulties with not having a proper rugby ground, which has affected attendance, things seem to be going reasonably well. They have a competitive union side which is there to stay.

I’m going to talk about the prospective coaches and players that I’d potentially recruit. Everyone will have an opinion on this but I’ve given it a bit of thought and made a few assumptions as well. The assumptions are that:

We’re a new franchise in a limited market and as such are permitted by the ARU to recruit Australians from abroad whether they’re currently eligible to play for Australia or not.
    We’re permitted to recruit a smattering of Pacific Islanders and Argentinians.
    We’re also allowed to recruit a marquee player.
    Their current contract status is unknown.
    Playing Style – forward orientated to some extent; a European style based on scrummaging, mauling and breakdown domination; wet weather capable (it is Melbourne); competent kicking game and an ability to break the line out wide.

Coach – these are the guys I’d be flying to Melbourne to interview:

Steve Meehan. Began his coaching career in Queensland in Premier Grade for GPS. He joined Stade Francais in 2002 and worked as a backs and skills assistant to Nick Mallett then Fabien Galthie. He was then recruited by Bath Rugby in 2006, taking over from Foley. He’s finished 8th, 3rd and 4th in the Guinness Premiership and has been competitive in the Heineken Cup. Bath have had a slow start to this season. They have played an attractive brand of rugby under Meehan. The drug related scandal at the end of last season may have taken its toll but its not his fault they had a few planks in their side.

Anthony McGahan. He came up through the Queensland coaching system via Brisbane Easts and schoolboys (including Churchie); also Australia U19. He was the defensive coach at Munster for a few years before getting the big gig last year. Laurie Fisher is his forwards coach. He made the Heineken Cup final against Leinster and won the Magners Celtic League, so has runs on the board. They’ve had a mixed beginning to this season.

Michael Cheika. Everybody’s talking Michael Cheika! I guess that’s because the mail is saying this will be his last season for Leinster. He’s been there since 2005 and has built it up solidly, peaking last year with the Heineken Cup win. He originated out of Randwick via Padova. He built up a partnership with David Knox which terminated acrimoniously last year. He now has Alan Gaffney and Jonno Gibbes in support. They’re continuing in the same vein this year, winning four out of five Magners League games to date.

Ewen MacKenzie. If he’s still available? Link is famously from down that way and attended Scotch College in Melbourne. He would be a good fit for this job – some have even been linking him to the CEO position. You’d think setting up a franchise from scratch would appeal to him. He was a successful Brumbies and Wallaby assistant and achieved good things at the Waratahs. His premature departure from Stade Francais was disappointing but, hey, they’re Frogs aren’t they? Taciturn and sometimes ‘ornery in public, I’d imagine Link drove some of those NSW Alikadoos crazy…..

I’d also consider Jake White, Pat Howard and Rod Kafer (I reckon Kafe’s a tactical genius – shame about his RUPA connections).

The Players – Melbourne Connection. I’d recruit some players with Melbourne associations to provide important local content to the side:

Digby Ioane. Diggers can become a world class player in the mould of Rupeni Caucaunibuca if he so chooses. He is such a difficult player to tackle with his continuous step and pumping thighs. He just needs to remain injury free. He also needs to focus on being a Wallaby and not what he can earn elsewhere. His whanau live in Melbourne.

Lloyd Johansson. Yes, I know what you’re going to say. But Johansson was exposed way too early to the big time. He had it too easy from schoolboy to Wallaby level. He now plays for Calvisano in Italy as a centre or five eighths. He’s still only 24. I’d like to see a more mature player return – he has all the skills.

Tom McVerry. Tom plays for Kyuden Voltex in the Japanese Top League. He is another player originating from Melbourne. A hard working openside flanker he had limited game time for the Reds due to David Croft’s mortgage on the position, so they converted him to blindside or occasionally No 8. A journeyman but one with heart who could make a contribution.

Marquee Player – Greg Somerville. Tighthead prop who can sometimes play loosehead. Somerville has been a world class player but is now coming towards the end of his career. I’d pick Carl Hayman as first choice but it’s unlikely that he’d be available in 2011. Somerville is a rock and a tough Canterbury boy.

The Rest

Rodney Blake. Rodzilla has had a couple of season over in Bayonne playing Top 14 against some hard nuts. He never really cut it during his Wallaby stint. He was seen as ‘the great white hope’ in response to our abysmal scrummaging performance during Eddie Jones’ tenure. But it was all too much pressure for Rod. Now that he’s matured I reckon he could challenge for a RWC 2011 Wallaby tighthead spot, despite some press rubbish from Tonga speculating that he could end up playing for them.

Marcos Ayerza. This guy is an Argentinean bull. He is a world class loosehead prop who plays for the Leceister Tigers. He’s only 26 yrs old and is taking over from the veteran Rodrigo Roncero (Stade Francais) in the Argentinean pack. He thinks the Super 15 proposal that would include players from Argentina a great idea. In his spare time he plays pianoforte – Chopin and Bach. I think he’d fit right in to the Melbourne scene?

Alex Walker. An Australian U21 player now plying his trade with the Newcastle Falcons. Previously with Leeds and Saracens. A former tighthead prop, he is a strong scrummager and mobile around the park. He holds both an Australian and British passport. Only 25 and a very promising player.

Brent Cockbain. The former Welsh lock is currently playing for Sale in the Guinness Premiership and probably his best is behind him. He is an aggressive forward in the tight with his lineout work a strength. You’d be able to use his experience in a similar manner to the way the Force did with John Wellborn.

Dan Vickerman. If he was fit, playing professional rugby and wanted to return to Australia you’d jump at the chance to recruit him. At his best he’s a world class lock and lineout forward. He would add so much starch to a new franchise and perhaps you could use his business acumen as well? If he was unavailable, I’d go with Al Campbell from Montpellier.

Ben Mowen. Another Queensland product and one of the Waratahs’ stars this year. A tall, rangy and athletic loose forward with lineout skills and a big future. This is a kid whom you could base your franchise around – future captain.

Scott Gray. Like Bam Bam he is originally from Zimbabwe but ended up in Queensland. An openside flanker, he was recruited to the Brumbies Academy but switched codes and played with the Broncos before joining Bath in the Guinness Premiership. From Bath, Gray joined Border Reivers until their disbandment. Now with the Northhampton Saints he has a number of international caps for Scotland.

Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe. A hard, grafting, classy No. 8 now with Toulon. A natural leader with tactical nous and a touch of charisma. With his captaincy experience for both Sale and Argentina he’d be a leading candidate for the leadership.

Nic Berry. ‘Chuck’ has been with Racing Metro 92 Paris for the past couple of years, gaining promotion to the Top 14 this year. He’s a former Red, nippy on his feet with a good pass and box kick. He departed the Reds at a time when the halfback stocks were relatively healthy – he would be an asset there right now and in contention for a Wallaby spot.

Brock James. He’d be one of the first players I’d recruit. He would be just right for Melbourne conditions and the style of rugby I’d want to play. He has been an outstanding success at five eighth with Clermont Auvergne in the Top 14 but had an average time with the Force and the Reds previously.

Jonathon Thurston. I thought I’d throw this one in just to put you off! We all know his skill level and potential. He’d make a fantastic union player in the halves. The way it’s been reported you’d think that he even might be keen to give it a try. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t come anywhere near to adjusting to the union culture – stick with league mungo!

Paul Warwick. Originating from Brisbane Premier Grade GPS rugby, he has played league with the Broncos, union with the Reds and Connaught in the Magners League and now with Munster. London Irish were trying to recruit him recently but it looks like he’s staying at Munster. He has developed into a very capable fullback or five eighth at this top level, with a strong kicking game.

Mafi Kefu. Another player who has developed into a top line inside centre away from Australia. He was essentially a club and fringe Reds player when he went overseas but has now carved out a starting centre spot with Toulon in the Top 14. One of the famous Kefu clan, a strong and busting player who looks the goods on Setanta.

Marc Gasnier. Le Gaz has also turned into a fine player at Stade Francais as we’d all probably expect, as either a wing or centre. Link speaks well of his progress and there is potential for him to return to Oz for a shot at the 2011 RWC. Maybe he’d go where Link went?

Lachlan Mitchell. Young player out of the NSW Academy who was snapped up by Wasps in the Guinness Premiership last year. He played a number of games for both the A and First XV teams. Speed to burn and impressive skill-set. Looks like a kid with oodles of promise.

Cameron Shepherd. It’s time Shepherd had a change of luck with injuries restricting his appearances for the Force. When fully fit he’s a class fullback with a big boot. The sort of guy that would do well in Melbourne conditions. A safe defender and some speed on attack – he frequently seems to be in the right spot at the right time.

Notwithstanding those mentioned I’d also look at some Pacific island players, maybe former Australian residents like Josh Afu (Newcastle Falcons) or Dan Leo (Wasps) or a few Fijian backs like Seru Rabeni or Sireli Bobo? And I’d probably plunder the Reds Academy as well?

Here is a list (not exhaustive) of where some of the better known Australian players are based:

Italy: Cam Treloar, Brendan Williams, Justin Purll, Michael Aldridge, Todd Ollivier, Mark Sweeney, Arthur Little, Peter-William Marrapodi, Christian Warner, Luke McLean

France: Ben Coutts, AJ Whalley, Sam Cordingley, Chris Siale, Fotunuupule Auelua, Luke Rooney, Manny Edmonds, Craig Gower, Troy Takiari, Junior Pelesasa, Paul Dearlove, Matt Jolley, Henri Veratau, Lachie MacKay

UK: Peter Hewat, Chris Malone, Tim Donnelly, Julian Salvi, Liam Bibo, Clinton Schifcofske, Steve Kefu, Ben Jacobs, Daniel Roach, David Lyons, Greg Barden, Shaun Berne, Chris Whitaker, Chris Latham, Andrew Farley, Ben White, Tim Swinson, Matt Carraro, Sam Norton-Knight, Tamaiti Horua, Gareth Hardy, Dan Parks, Ed O’Donoghue, Tom Court

Japan: Shame Drahm, Radike Samo, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jone Tawake, Dan Heenan, Tim Atkinson, Nathan Grey, Elia Tuqiri, Toutai Kefu, Hugh McMeniman, Mark Gerrard, James Hilgendorf, Stephen Larkham, George Gregan, Scott Staniforth, Tai McIsaac, Brett Stapleton, Joel Wilson, Damian McInally, Gene Fairbanks, Peter Miller, Josh Gamgee, Mark Gilbride, Craig Wing

NZ: David Te Moana, Tajhon Mailata, Olei Ovei

Gagger / CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good read.

Two things though.

1) Hands off Cam Shepherd.

2) Bring back Brett Stapleton. He'll only be 23 next year and he's definitely got the speed and strength to be a great winger.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    way to much thinking for me! good read.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I've missed reading and writing these sort of pieces, well done Gagger and nicely pilfered Coach

Without a major coup I think about the only better player likely to be a chance to go from the Force would be Hodgo, the rest (especially Shep) will be locked down pretty quickly after a couple of seasons of upheaval.
    I think also there is far too much assumption on the number of special cases of foreign players outside of the current allowance, the old school just simply won't allow a new kid to get a leg up.
    There is a good pool to choose from though, there are far better players overseas than on some of our current benches that is for certain.
    I believe the key overseas signings are Brocky and/or Jimmy (if he hasn't been Nipponised by then), Gas will be a case of "now" or never, Lachlan Mitchell, Chris Siale, Julian Salvi, Boof, Tajhon Mailata and (as someone else said a few weeks ago) Scotty Fava so he has the full set of jersey's! There are others possibly more important but I see these are your real core players to build off.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    There are others possibly more important but I see these are your real core players to build off.
    Lachlan McKay was listed in the French section but not commented upon. I don't know how he's played in France but I've not read of any more injuries either. He'd be a target and I'd really like to see him get another shot.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah agreed Shasta, was tempted to put him down, just need some further knowledge on his physical state. Certainly deserves a crack if fit, Junior and Troy possibly fall into that category as well and a shame that Luke McLean has now played for Italy as he has certainly proven he has what it takes, a miss by Force recruitment. I recall Daniel Roach hitting Schoolboys with some fan fare but didn't get signed long term, not sure what happened there. I think the Reds had him, maybe got caught out by the clean up and then the other rosters were full?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I had thought Hodgo was pretty happy at the Force. He was one of the first to re-sign this year. I wouldn't mind if he goes though. I like him, but given how wanktastic the other Super 14 teams were when the Force came in its only fair that each S14 team gives up a forward and a back to the new team. Hodgo and Haig Sare from the Force for mine.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed the Force didn't pick up Alex Walker. I'm pretty sure he is a hooker (or at least spent a fair deal of time there).

Veteran
    vCash
    i couldn't hodgo moving, he got his break here (i think) and he has been through a building up stage of a club. I bet that would be a little annoying doing twice.

And from what i have heard, he has a LOT of respect at rugbyWA

vCash
    All in all, this sort of team list is close to what they'll get. I reckon ARU should change the international player requirements for ALL teams rather than treating the Melbourne franchise as a special case.

If, for instance you doubled the marquee and developing player requirement and also allowed an extra player from Argentina and the PI that would give a wider recruitment pool to the Melbourne franchise, but also, they'd pick up some castoffs who already have S14 experience. Force has done better out of those castoffs than they ever did out of huge signings (particularly players who are Wallaby eligible) and I believe there's room for a smart Melbourne coach to find guys who are hungry enough and give them their shot.

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hodgo and Haig Sare from the Force for mine.
    Agreed on Sare, but I'd ditch a lock before a flanker, we seem to be pretty bloody good at pumping out quality young locks!.........Actually we're not bad at making flankers either!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    All in all, this sort of team list is close to what they'll get. I reckon ARU should change the international player requirements for ALL teams rather than treating the Melbourne franchise as a special case.
    Agreed.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah its pretty clear the whole 'development player' idea isn't really working since only those bogan Waratahs have picked up on it. May as well have 2 or 3 marquee players instead. Make a similar rule to some of the NH clubs where you can only play 2 marquee players at a time.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Isn't Fairbrother a "development player"?
    The reason I mention Hodgo is his previous experience there for the Rebels and that he will inevitably remain a bench player behind a younger player in Bam or, at best, play out of position.
    I wouldn't like to see him go, but I would totally understand him wanting to chase a starting role.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Isn't Fairbrother a "development player"?
    The reason I mention Hodgo is his previous experience there for the Rebels and that he will inevitably remain a bench player behind a younger player in Bam or, at best, play out of position.
    I wouldn't like to see him go, but I would totally understand him wanting to chase a starting role.
    Nup. Fairbrother has an Aussie Grandma so he's eligible for the Wallabies as soon as he's had a Super 14 season for Australia.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Thanks mate, all that was going down while I was over East.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Force started out with 17 players (by my count) with 5 or more Super rugby caps. Three of whom we brought back from overseas. If each of the Super 14 teams gave up 2 players they'd be sitting on 8. The teams could recoup the losses if the ARU lets each team have 2 marquees instead of one. So surely a new Melbourne team would be able to scrape together another 8 Aussie players from overseas. Two from the UK, two from France, two from Japan and two from anywhere else. Add in two marquee imports and that'd make fairly level pegging with how the Force started without ripping the shit out of any one specific side. The list Gagger gives (admittedly some players being way too old now to be worthy of consideration) has 75 players in it. You wouldn't even have to raid league stocks. If any of the Super 14 teams (more likely the Force or the Reds) get shafted when the Melbourne team comes it will be because the ARU showed the same lack of leadership it did when the Force came into being.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast