Thread: It's Elsom's time to be captain

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

It's Elsom's time to be captain

Wayne Smith | October 05, 2009

Article from: The Australian

IRISH coach Declan Kidney, sweating profusely under a hot Brisbane sun late last week, was given the chance to take at least some of the heat out of one of Brian O'Driscoll's more incendiary statements.

Kidney was taken back to the Heineken Cup final in May and O'Driscoll's extraordinary claim in the immediate aftermath of Leinster becoming champion of Europe at the expense of Leicester.
    "Rocky Elsom is the best rugby player in the world," O'Driscoll boomed when interviewed after the match.

So, Kidney was asked, was O'Driscoll talking in the emotion of the moment? Was what he said about Elsom a throwaway compliment not to be taken seriously?
    "No," replied the Six Nations-winning Irish coach. "In fairness to Brian, he doesn't do things like that. That's the standing he would keep Rocky in."

Whether O'Driscoll would say the same thing now is debatable. Certainly it would be difficult to make a "world's best" case for any Australian after the Wallabies lost five of their six Tri-Nations matches, not when the credentials of Fourie du Preez, Dan Carter, Richie McCaw, Victor Matfield and even - yes, I hate myself for even mentioning him - Bakkies Botha are being kicked around.

What's important is not where exactly Elsom rates in the pecking order of the world's rugby elite. What's important is that he still retains those ferocious qualities that prompted O'Driscoll - himself a player whose name would require consideration any time rugby's finest are debated - to make that memorable statement in the first place.

No player enjoys losing but some cope with it better than others. Elsom isn't one of them. He hates losing. He hates hearing excuses for losing. He hates hearing that others are making excuses for losing. But, unlike some players who only rage against defeat after the event, Elsom rages at it while it's still merely an annoying possibility, while there is still time to do something about it. And at that point he applies his head as well as his heart.

When Australia coach Robbie Deans castigates players for "rolling over" at the death and capitulating to the All Blacks in Wellington a fortnight ago, rest assured he does not have Elsom in mind.

What perhaps he does have Elsom in mind for, however, is the Wallabies captaincy. Admittedly for this to happen, the aggressive blindside flanker would have to leapfrog not one but two skippers in long-time incumbent Stirling Mortlock and his part-time deputy George Smith. But Deans is clearly of a mind to shake the Wallabies out of their complacency and where better to start than at the top?

It would be interesting to know whether Mortlock's recent reconnaissance trip to Japan during his injury-enforced layoff was made entirely of his own volition or after being tipped off by someone in authority that perhaps he should start thinking seriously about his plans for life after Test rugby.

It's doubtful that it was the latter because, frankly, Australian rugby doesn't have the depth of talent to callously burn a player of Mortlock's ability. He might not be quite the match-winner he was a year or two ago, and he might have offended some ARU heavyweights with his leadership style but he remains a formidable player.

If it was Mortlock's own decision to check out what might be available in Japan, then it sends out the unmistakable signal that he is now starting to doubt whether he can maintain his form, fitness and enthusiasm for another two years until the World Cup.

Certainly it would be a significant event if Mortlock, now that he is back fit, was passed over for the captaincy on the end-of-season tour. But it wouldn't be quite the momentous upheaval some might think.

Australians get a bit romantic about the Wallabies captaincy and most people, asked to name how many men have skippered the side over the quarter-century since Andrew Slack led the 1984 team to Grand Slam glory, would probably recall only half a dozen - Nick Farr-Jones, Michael Lynagh, John Eales, George Gregan, Mortlock and Smith.

In fact, unless I have forgotten someone else, there has been an entire team of captains, plus one reserve, 16 in all, since Slack in 1984 - Steve Williams, Simon Poidevin, David Codey, Phil Kearns, Rod McCall, Tim Horan, David Wilson, Jason Little, Nathan Sharpe and Phil Waugh being the others. Indeed, in one stretch during the late 1980s, Australia used five different captains in successive Tests.

Given that Smith is the 75th player to lead the Wallabies in a Test and that Wellington brought up Australia's 500th international, the average life span of an Australian captain is less than seven Tests. The defining characteristic of the position is not longevity but change.

Significantly too, Farr-Jones played on under Kearns after relinquishing the captaincy, as did Gregan. So there would be some meaningful precedents to invoke if Mortlock is to be relieved of the captaincy armband for the tour but still selected as a player.

In that event, it is unlikely Smith's caretaker role would become a full-time job. He might be one of the world's great backrowers but he is a reluctant captain and it was painfully clear in Wellington that half a dozen All Blacks had more sway over referee Craig Joubert than he did.

Matt Giteau? Maybe. But this has been his least dominant season in the Test arena since the 2003 World Cup and he already has enough on his plate handling the playmaking and goalkicking duties.

Berrick Barnes? He has provided real generalship at key moments this year but he is only 23 and his chance will come.

Stephen Moore? One of the most respected members of the squad but he is, inconveniently, not a member of the starting XV right at this moment and whatever else the captain must be, he must be a certain selection.

Hopefully if a change is made, the decision is Deans's entirely. The Wallabies don't need change for the sake of a honeymoon period, where all criticism is suspended.
    But indications are that Elsom's time has arrived. Whether he is still the best player in the world isn't important. What counts is what he would bring to the job. And right at this moment, the Wallabies could use a skipper who loathes losing.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    More pro brumbies crap from the Australian, these guys must be on retainer.

Why don't we look outside Canberra for a Wallabies captain, that might increase the pool of eligible players a bit!

(to be fair, I'm not whingeing that Rocky is high on the list. I rate him highly, but the fact that anybody else who wasn't a Brumby was shut down for various reasons is what pissed me off.)

Bam Bam would make an excellent captain, as would Sharpie. Those two didn't even get a mention (except Sharpe's short stint as a former captain)

I agree Smith is an excellent player, but not an effective captain, more like a team leader/senior player kind of general in the pack.

Giteau is toilet, and if playet in the position he's best at would be too far from the action.

Barnes is a smart cookie, could easily handle the responsibility and would make Giteau look bad, but it's a big job playing 10 and Captaining the side, he might be better to concentrate on the job.

Genia's too green so it won't be him

All the number 8s are having trouble cementing a spot

Horwill's having trouble keeping his fists down

Front rowers are generally too buggered to speak coherently to the ref when required (either that or their communication skills are lacking)

so for mine it comes down to Sharpie, George, Mortlock or Bam (as a real smokey)

On current form, I'd say get Sharpie fit and give him a crack, Get Stirlo fit and give him a crack, give George a crack and pick after you've viewed the video!

C'mon the

vCash
    i dont think Pocock or Sharpe were mentioned, because realistically neither are certain starters at the moment

give it to ben robinson

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Elsom has been a great player but has also been pretty average IMHO since returning from the north. He needs to focus on his own game for the current time rather than even being considered for leadership. He is a player that will lead by example when playing well/fiercely and who may suffer under the burden of Captaincy as Smith has.
    In all honesty, I don't really think a players position has too much affect on the effectiveness of Captaincy, there have been fantastic Captains in World Rugby in every position over the years.
    If a Captain is a Forward then you still need a leader of the Backline and vv.
    From my own experience having lead teams from every postion from #4 through #9 I found Scrumhalf the easiest to general the team from however in modern Rugby the Captains role is really only for consulting with the Ref during stoppages, motivating and keeping discipline amongst your own team and to point to the posts or touchline etc. It is up to the Hooker, lineout leader, Scrumhalf and Flyhalf to run the phase play and the Coach to set the strategy. Everyone else has a pretty simple to task, do your job.
    Of the current leaders Sharpey ticks the most boxes for me however, as discussed in a previous thread, IMHO Bam is by far and away the best option for the future at both the Force and the Wallabies and the sooner he starts in that role the better he will become.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    I'm sure Dave will be vc for the Force next season and his time will come for Captaincy of the Wallabies

vCash
    im sticking to Ben Robinson, the only player in the side who really warrants his position

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I like Elsom but is anyone else getting sick of the media pumping up Elsom. I mean they go on and on about him hating to lose and how he is really grumpy and angry about it. It's getting a bit old by now.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd prefer it if he actually did something to warrant it.
    I am a past huge fan but am pretty luke warm at the moment.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Wayne Smith | October 05, 2009

Article from: The Australian

Significantly too, Farr-Jones played on under Kearns after relinquishing the captaincy, as did Gregan. So there would be some meaningful precedents to invoke if Mortlock is to be relieved of the captaincy armband for the tour but still selected as a player.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html
    Must have the armband worn underneath the Jersey because i never see it. Has anyone else......................

Burgs?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bloody stirrer
    You seriously have to question a reporters credability when they use phrases like that, even "the great" (in his own lunchbox anyway) Wayne Smith.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.