Thread: QR Reds add hot prospect Kingi to scrumhalf mix for 2010

vCash

QR Reds add hot prospect Kingi to scrumhalf mix for 2010

Queensland Rugby has secured Australian Under 20 and Australian Sevens scrumhalf Richard Kingi on a QAS Reds Academy contract for 2010.

Kingi was drafted into the QR Reds squad in 2009 after a spate of late season injuries, making his Reds debut off the bench against the Crusaders in Christchurch and also getting on against the Hurricanes in the final round.

The former Queensland Under 19 represented Australia in the 2008 and 2009 iRB Under 20 Junior World Championships and was shortlisted as one of four contenders for iRB player of the Tournament at the 2009 event in Japan last June.

The quietly spoken 20-year old, who hails from Tauranga in New Zealand, said it had been his goal to secure a contract with Queensland in 2010 and making his debut for the Reds in 2009 had been an unexpected bonus.

Reds General Manager Daniel Herbert said Kingi would be the third contracted scrumhalf in the Reds' system, along with Wallaby No 9 Will Genia and the highly talented Ben Lucas.

"Having Richard in the mix gives us real depth. While the Reds are already blessed with two of the best halves in Australian rugby, our experience during 2009 showed that depth is vital in this crucial position," Herbert said.

Kingi made his Australian Sevens debut during 2008/2009 IRB Sevens World Series and is highly rated by Australian Sevens coach Michael O'Connor.

"He's got all the skills; he kicks goals, he's good at kick restarts, he's good at one-on-one evasion, beating a man - he's a very sharp stepper - and he's probably one of the best low tacklers I've seen in a long time. He's absolutely ferocious when it comes to taking players down around the ankles," he said.

O'Connor said Kingi still had work to do in developing his game, but his progress in the 12 months he'd been part of the Sevens program showed he was a fast learner with the right attitude.

"He's still got a long way to go, but he's come a long way in 12 months and, boy, he brings some things to the table. What he's got is what a lot of other players don't have - that individual brilliance and ability to beat a man. I think he's a good prospect."

Kingi is in the Brisbane City squad to play the Hutchinson Builders Queensland Country Heelers at Ballymore at 3pm on Saturday, September 26, in the big city-country carnival day that's part of the QRU's Festival of Rugby.

http://qru.com.au/library/news/2009/...eal,69830.html

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

I was suprised the Force didnt try and chase Kingi for 2010, but its good that he signed with the Reds, he has shown a lot of promise, and getting nominated as U20 player of the year is no small task.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good to see them hang on to a promising junior...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I was suprised the Force didnt try and chase Kingi for 2010, but its good that he signed with the Reds, he has shown a lot of promise, and getting nominated as U20 player of the year is no small task.
    He's certainly a great talent and he makes a great trio for the Reds. It's a shame we have a handful of bright young halfback talents and a bit of a dearth of consistent performers.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I like Kingi.. he's good enough to be a Brumby...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I like Kingi.. he's good enough to be a Brumby...
    I didn't know he got selected into the Palmyra under 11 girls team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    yeah your right, there is a long list of good young halfbacks in the country, but many fail to realise there potential..

I remember going back 4 or so years, everyone was talking about how good australia was going to be with young halfbacks like Henjak and Valantine coming through, that hardly amounted to anything.

What i like most about this signing is that it may allow Ben Lucas switch back to his preffered position at 5/8

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Wouldn’t they have the option of moving Lucas out to 12 or 10? I thought he had played a fair bit of rugby in the centres and with Barnes gone there is a blaring hole there

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    yep ben lucas fan also...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Wouldn’t they have the option of moving Lucas out to 12 or 10? I thought he had played a fair bit of rugby in the centres and with Barnes gone there is a blaring hole there
    yeah thats what i was just saying, Lucas is a 5/8 first and halfback second, at club level he plays 5/8 and is just fantastic. I would like to see him at fullback, but he is a bit small.

Reds also get back Turinui in 2010, which will be fantastic to help develop Quade along, they also have Will Chambers as a potential 12 or 13. Then there is the option to keep Digby at 13 as well.

9. Genia
    10. Cooper
    11. Hynes
    12. Turinui
    13. Chambers
    14. Ioane
    15. Mclinden/Lucas

with a bench of

20. Kingi
    21. Faingaa
    22. Morahan

Alternatively, Faingaa has been playing very well at club level and has developed quite the combination with Cooper, he could slip into 12, turinui at 13 and digby on the wing.

vCash
    plenty of talent there... Faingaa boys are good and will get better...

vCash
    Anthony Faingaa has had a great season with Souths. Also in the halfback mix is Brendan McGibbon - very useful. In fact the Reds are pretty well equipped in the backs. Next year the forwards MUST step up. There is some good talent in the pack but it must be brought along - it simply hasn't been in the last few years. That is probably the main reason Phil Mooney got flicked. No doubt the new coach will have a strong forward pedigree.

vCash
    Brendan McKibbin is a good club rugby halfback, but IMO he doesnt have the goods for S14 level

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Pleased for the Reds and ,from what I saw of the U20s, Kingi looks good. Tended to hold the ball and try to do too much himself, but that probably had more to do with having played Sevens and not quite having full confidence in other players with less high level exposure. That'll pass quickly once everyone around him is of a level, and it'll be interesting to see how he comes on.

vCash
    Kingi played some excellent 7s this year...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A great signing, there is no doubt.

If the Reds are serious about rebuilding they will release the "great Rugby brain" and invest in keeping some more of these young up coming stars they continue to produce and lose.

Under the circumstances, the following for mine TOCC:

9. Genia
    10. Cooper
    11. Hynes
    12. Lucas
    13. Ioane
    14. Morahan
    15. Mclinden

20. Kingi
    21. Faingaa
    22. Fetoai/Toua/Va'aulu