Thread: Union's TV wobblies

vCash

Union's TV wobblies

I took a few bits out as they were mainly NRL chest beating I think, the link to the main article is at the bottom though, I also threw in alink the the ASTRA numbers. According to the ASTRA charts the game only attracted 132,000 on Fox, although I am not sure what this means for Pubs with Foxtel (which could then be countered with the argument for the NRL in regards to Pubs as well), although I sent them an email and am awaiting a reply. 5th Most watched show on Foxtel for the week, granted the only other Live Sport against it was the A-League

Union's TV wobblies

By Dean Ritchie

THE woeful Wallabies were not only belted by the All Blacks on Saturday - they were also annihilated by the Brisbane Broncos.

In a Bledisloe Cup embarrassment, Channel 7's live coverage of the rugby Test on Saturday afternoon could not break into the 100 most-watched shows in Sydney last week

While the Bledisloe Cup was beaten in the ratings by such programs as Media Watch, Neighbours and the Dennis Quaid film The Rookie, the NRL's two showcase semi-finals were the third and fourth most-watched shows in Sydney last week - beaten only by Nine's Sunday News and Seven's Packed To The Rafters.

The Test against the All Blacks in Wellington attracted just 289,000 free-to-air viewers nationally

The rugby Test fared better as an event on pay-TV, with Fox Sports revealing the match was the No. 1 program for Saturday across all subscription television.

An ARU spokesman said: "It was simulcast on Fox Sports and the Bledisloe was the most watched program of the day on pay-TV.

"Obviously we are disappointed with the free-to-air results but the overall number of viewers may have been affected by the earlier kick-off time into the Sydney market at 5.30pm or sports fans may have taken the view that the match was a dead-rubber and didn't tune in to the live telecast."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225777937840

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/e-news/...eek-090913.pdf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hmmm lets think about that.

The core rugby demographic would be (in the main) pay tv subscribers as they can only watch rugby on pay tv for all matches except the tests.

Free to Air watchers would be a) people who can't affort Pay TV and b) people who don't care enough about watching rugby to shell out the dosh

Is it particularly surprising that this demographic would prefer to watch two semi-finals of the national competition rather than a dead rubber test in which teh Wallabies were the underdog?

I would think that the ARU couldn't give much of a toss about FTA ratings in the current climate, given that most of their demographic accesses Pay TV in some form or another. (including my mate who doesn't pay for the feed, just lobs on my house whenever it's on, it's OK, he buys the beer)

The ARU rhetoric rarely mentions FTA ratings, the NRL rhetoric generally glosses over it. I see no point in comparing the two on FTA though since Rugby's footprint is so small......I'm not sure that NRL's footprint is massive in Pay TV so even that comparison is probably flawed. Possibly those closer to the issue might be able to comment.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm not sure that NRL's footprint is massive in Pay TV so even that comparison is probably flawed
    NRL Live games on Fox Sports feature reguarly in the ratings chart, and make up a fair few of the most watched for the year chart

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    how about a large number of people hate channel 7 - and would rather pay for it on fox to have no ads, or watch it at a pub with their mates!

FTA still rely on their out dated viewer rating boxes - that are not accurate!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.