Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SANZAR invites Argentina to join Tri Nations from 2012

vCash

SANZAR invites Argentina to join Tri Nations from 2012

SANZAR invites Argentina to join Tri Nations from 2012
    By staff writers

September 14,

2009 SANZAR has extended a conditional invitation to Argentina to join the Tri Nations from 2012 to create a new 'Four Nations' Championship.

SANZAR stressed that conditions were attached to the invitation for the Union Argentina de Rugby (UAR) to join the Four Nations in 2012.

SANZAR conditions include Argentina securing the participation of their best players to play in the Four Nations and SANZAR, along with Argentina confirming the financial model that will apply.

The Australian Rugby Union has encouraged Argentina to continue the hard work required to meet the SANZAR conditions that would allow the Pumas entry.

"To have the Pumas... join with the three top-ranked international teams in world rugby will be exciting for fans, players, sponsors and broadcasters across our four countries and beyond," SANZAR chief executive Andy Marinos said in a statement.

It is a move that would increase the Southern Hemisphere competition from nine games (where each team currently plays the other two on three occasions) to 12 games where each country would play the other three twice (home and away).

SANZAR envisages that the Four Nations would be played over eight to nine weeks, with each country playing six matches. Australia, New Zealand and South Africa already play six games each in the Tri Nations.

"Argentina has shown commitment, passion and a work ethic to date that highlights their desire to have the Pumas playing at the highest level possible on a consistent basis," ARU managing director and chief executive John O’Neill said.

"Australia is excited by the possibility of having the Pumas in a Four Nations Championship.

"It is important therefore, with a conditional invitation on the table, for Argentina to keep moving forward and satisfying the necessary conditions.

"The Tri Nations is a wonderful competition, with the best players in the world taking part.

"We need to ensure the same integrity and quality of competition is guaranteed with a move to a Four Nations Championship, and Argentina understands that.

"Australia looks forward to Argentina making further progress in coming months."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Fantastic news!!!

vCash
    Finally some common sense from SANZAR, especially going back to a traditional home/away format.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    Oregon Hoskins muted in an interview published by The Australian recently. About bloody time too. Finally the Pumas will have the regular competition they so richly deserve. And the SH quartet will be complete. Top 4 in the World anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    Top 4 in the World anyone.
    I was just thinking that, maybe not at first but it will happen. NH have nothing us Southerners

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That is some horror travel right there!

So reading betwen the lines, all it requires now is the NH clubs to release their players, loads of folk in Argentina being keen to buy PayTV to watch the rugby, and matches played at breakfast time to rate like gangbusters (or at least as well as the matches against the other 3N teams would have during the afternoon/evening). Just about a done deal, I would have thought!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    That is some horror travel right there!

So reading betwen the lines, all it requires now is the NH clubs to release their players, loads of folk in Argentina being keen to buy PayTV to watch the rugby, and matches played at breakfast time to rate like gangbusters (or at least as well as the matches against the other 3N teams would have during the afternoon/evening). Just about a done deal, I would have thought!
    Pretty sure its an IRB requirement that clubs have to release their test players. Whether the Argentinians will want to take that kind of pay cut that would be involved is another thing. As for the timing, at least now when channel 7 puts a game on at 1:30 in the morning it will actually be live! F you channel 7.

I really look forward to this. Like JK says the traditional home and away format is better. That way a neutral test venue would have all the more appeal if there was say a third Bledisloe test. Home, away and neutral evens it out a bit.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yeah - will be fascinating to see the details

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hooray! I hope they accept

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I'd better get my hopes up!

vCash
    I like it but can the UAR guarantee their best players aren't playing un the Europe? and can they finance their series costs?

I hope so… and the SANZAR help fund them alone the way…

My next question is since SA is so busy playing Currie cup and internationals + Tri-nations where will they find the extra time to play the Pumas every year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    My next question is since SA is so busy playing Currie cup and internationals + Tri-nations where will they find the extra time to play the Pumas every year?
    You could theoretically get a Four-Nations out of the way in 6 weeks as opposed to the current minimum of 9.

vCash
    less games? Home and Away, it could work... So then do we get a Tri-nations final?

vCash
    I doubt it.

There would be a clause that would be written into the new SANZAR agreement that one of the finalists must come from between 0 and 60 degrees longitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    I doubt it.

There would be a clause that would be written into the new SANZAR agreement that one of the finalists must come from between 0 and 60 degrees longitude.

?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast