Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Reds Coach

vCash

New Reds Coach

potential candidates

Nucifora
    McKenzie
    Louden

I dont really like either Nucifora or McKenzie but they are both pretty experienced, people have big wraps on Louden, im not to sure why.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds as if Foley is well in the frame too TOCC?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    TOCC said: "people have big wraps on Louden, im not to sure why."

Let me try to explain why:

Todd Louden is a young coach with the extraordinary record of having dramatically improved the performance of his team in every year he has coached.

In 2004, as Director of Rugby at Sydney University, he implemented their EDS (Elite Development Squad) program which is still operating and is the foundation for their status as number one Club in Australia. In that year, Uni won the Sydney Club Championship with all nine grades contesting the finals.

In the 2004-2005 season, he was Head Coach of Meiji University, which participates in Japan’s 120 team Collegiate Rugby Program. Louden took them from 68th to the top eight.

In 2006, he returned to Sydney as Head Coach of Randwick. Their First XV advanced from ninth to Minor Premiers. They were narrowly beaten in the Grand Final by Sydney Uni, who were forced to make more than 300 tackles during the match.

Louden was named Sydney Premiership Coach of the Year.

The next season he moved to South Africa as attack coach with Heineke Meyer’s Blue Bulls, who went from fifth to winning the Super 14. They were the first South African team to win a Super title, with their success attributed to their new attacking style.

In 2008, he was appointed attack coach of the NSW Waratahs under Ewen McKenzie. The ‘Tahs went from thirteenth in 2007 to second before being beaten in the Grand Final. The true story of why Louden was not appointed Head Coach after McKenzie was dumped remains to be told but the key word is treachery.

In the 2008-2009 season he went back to Japan as Head Coach of the Ricoh Black Rams, who had been relegated to Second Division status. Under Louden’s guidance, Ricoh were undefeated in the Top East League and therefore qualified to play the winners of the other two second level leagues to determine who was to be promoted to the Top League.

In the first of these matches, the Black Rams played Mazda Blue Zoomers, winners of the Top Kyushu League, winning by 81 to nil. They then beat Honda Heat from the Top West League 54 to 20.

By winning both games Ricoh not only returned to Top League but also qualified for the All-Japan Rugby Football Championships, playing against Top League teams as well as the top two university teams.

Ricoh were eventually beaten at the semi-final stage of the All-Japan Championships, meaning that they ranked in the top four in Japanese rugby.

Todd Louden has thus achieved the extraordinary record that, in each of the past six years, the teams he coached were outstandingly successful and greatly improved their ranking. He is also the best development coach in Australian rugby.

The Western Force had extensive discussions with him earlier this year when he was given to understand that John Mitchell intended to step into the background, but apparently Louden was eventually offered a very junior role at insultingly poor money. So he stayed with Ricoh. Last weekend they won their first match in League against Honda who have also been promoted. On Sunday they play last year's champions, Sanyo.

vCash
    Wouldn't Foley take it the same way as Jones?

He'd be a mistake after Mooney!

I don't reckon Nucifora would give up the ARU HPM job for the Reds (sorry TOCC, don't mean to be rude but there's too much work to be done and no guarantee of job security ATM)

I'd reckon Link's probably leading the pack of candidates likely to say yes, He's currently unemployed, had experience in a combative environment and will leave the contract open for when Melbourne starts shopping. Louden and Cheika seem to both be looking for S14 head coaching time as well, so could be bolters.

C'mon the

vCash
    Bruiser, thanks for that reply, you seem to know a fair bit about Louden, the only issue i see is that he is relativelly inexperienced at been a head coach in a fully pro side, yeah he has done Ricoh, but thats not quite the same as S14 or the Top14.

I think Cheika would be a good signing, Phil Graham's name has been thrown in the ring, once again i see him in a similar light to Louden.

QLD need a person who is experienced at the pro level, McKenzie fits this criteria and maybe someone like Cheika who wants to return home.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Certainly not cheering for him Gigs, just picking up on a few media articles.
    I don't think he would be a good option either.
    Interesting post Bruiser

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Bruiser, thanks for that reply, you seem to know a fair bit about Louden, the only issue i see is that he is relativelly inexperienced at been a head coach in a fully pro side, yeah he has done Ricoh, but thats not quite the same as S14 or the Top14.

I think Cheika would be a good signing, Phil Graham's name has been thrown in the ring, once again i see him in a similar light to Louden.

QLD need a person who is experienced at the pro level, McKenzie fits this criteria and maybe someone like Cheika who wants to return home.
    hasn't graham been snapped up by the force?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Certainly not cheering for him Gigs, just picking up on a few media articles.
    didn't think you would be, just didn't pick up the appropriate level of disgust in your post......not enough disgust for how I thought you'd react.

Foley's in the right place at the 'Tahs, reward for years of mediocrity!

C'mon the

vCash
    According to The Couriermail there were 20 applicants for the Reds coaching role, NSWRU have said they wont release Foley.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    inside word is that the decision who is going to coach the reds next year has already been made...

vCash
    I dont like Ewen, but he is probably the best credentialed coach available

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    inside word is that the decision who is going to coach the reds next year has already been made...
    What, have someone release a short-list to cover negotiations with a single person. Surely no-one in rugby would ever stoop so low. Happy, such thoughts are unworthy of you and your moniker.

(We need a sarcasm smiley!)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    hasn't graham been snapped up by the force?
    Thats Richard Graham. Unless someone is mistaking Richard for Phil or its a strange nickname, they are talking about someone else.

What would be better for the Reds- a 'backs' head coach or a 'forwards' head coach? I'd have thought that if Jim Williams was keen to come in to coach the forwards it'd be better to get a coach who was backs based. With some pretty exciting guys in the Reds backline and a hell of a lot of potential a good backs coach could make them the most entertaining team in the competition (not in the same way they claimed last season).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    (We need a sarcasm smiley!)
    You now have a choice of 2

or

(:sarcastic: or :sarcasm:)

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Thats Richard Graham. Unless someone is mistaking Richard for Phil or its a strange nickname, they are talking about someone else.

What would be better for the Reds- a 'backs' head coach or a 'forwards' head coach? I'd have thought that if Jim Williams was keen to come in to coach the forwards it'd be better to get a coach who was backs based. With some pretty exciting guys in the Reds backline and a hell of a lot of potential a good backs coach could make them the most entertaining team in the competition (not in the same way they claimed last season).
    Definately a forwards coach to give the backs some space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast