Thread: Beau Robinson , potential signing for new S15 side

vCash

Beau Robinson , potential signing for new S15 side

BEAU ROBINSON, one of the top rated up-and-coming openside breakaways in Super 14 a year ago, is still perplexed how the doors of opportunity in Australian rugby have closed on him.

After being inexplicably released by the Waratahs, he was overlooked by the Reds for the seasoned Kiwi Daniel Braid and Lei Tomiki. And the rosters are full at the Force and the Brumbies.

Asked where his professional playing future lay, Robinson, who played in 12 of the Waratahs' 13 games last year, but failed to make their 22-man squad this year, yesterday replied: ''Definitely overseas. [There is] nothing in Australia. No one … wants me.

''I would have liked to have been given the opportunity anywhere. But I suppose with the quality of 7s - there are three blokes in the Wallabies and Daniel Braid, who was the understudy to Richie McCaw at the All Blacks, and Lei Tomiki coming back - it hasn't happened.''

But rather than feel sorry for himself, Robinson, 23, has worked out a path towards hopefully resurrecting his rugby career in Australia and proving his doubters wrong.

Last night he signed an eight-month deal to play in Italy with the Benevento Gladiators in Serie A. However, before joining his new club he will fulfil his commitments with Sydney club Warringah, leading them in Saturday's Shute Shield elimination final against Gordon at Pittwater Park. Once in Italy, he aims to play so well he will be picked for the likely Melbourne Super 15 side for 2011.

Is Robinson driven by a desire to keep a rugby dream alive or seek revenge on his detractors?

''All those,'' he said. ''Prove people wrong, that you are better than what they may think. Also, just to do well for Warringah and show faith back. Being appointed captain was an honour.

''But also when there was talk of this new team, that helped. With Saturday a TV game and the start of the finals, hopefully there will be a fair few people watching. And with this new team being talked about, there is a lot of interest about where the people are going to come from.''

As positive as Robinson is now, he has not forgotten the hardship of this year with the Waratahs when he returned from an early season injury to repeatedly miss selection in the 22-man squad.

The lowest moment came when he was named in the 26-man squad to tour South Africa for the last three rounds, only to learn the next day that he was out after a rethink because of injuries. It summed up a season Robinson describes as ''tough''.

But it can still end on a high if Warringah overcome the disappointment of their unexpected 26-26 draw in last Saturday's round-22 game against Southern Districts and beat Gordon.

''It has probably worked out not too bad for us,'' Robinson said of last Saturday's outcome. ''If we had of won we would have played Manly. I don't think you really want to play a local derby in the semis because it can take it out of you for the next couple of weeks.''

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...201224274.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He would be a good pick for the new team, still a few years ahead of him and a player with plenty of "passion".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Nup Shit pick watch his play... he could be a WF man I guess come 2011 when other finish up...

Player
    vCash
    He's tough and confronting. Not the most talented footballer but always puts 100% into his play. Not a bad footballer, just saying he's no David Pocock. But a solid ball carrier and generally good around the park. Would be a good signing for an foundation squad. Every team needs that hardnosed toiler. For Melbourne he'd be a good one.

Still remeber him giving Jerry Collins a shake up a couple of seasons back.

vCash
    regardless of what muddy says, beau is actually a very good player, it amazes me that he was released leaving NSW with only waugh to rely on, waugh is good but he is on the downward slope

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    He's tough and confronting. Not the most talented footballer but always puts 100% into his play. Not a bad footballer, just saying he's no David Pocock. But a solid ball carrier and generally good around the park. Would be a good signing for an foundation squad. Every team needs that hardnosed toiler. For Melbourne he'd be a good one.

Still remeber him giving Jerry Collins a shake up a couple of seasons back.
    He will be their Matty Hodgson.......remember he was a def second stringer before the Force came along and even struggled to get regular game time with us for a while, he's now in the frame for Wallaby jerseys (I'd say close to first pick when Rocky's out) Beau could easily become that sort of player.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder who the Melbourne team will try to bring back. Wonder if they will give Brock James a call? After 4 years of French rugby he might be keen for a second crack at the Super 14.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He may well battle it out with Hodgo at Melbourne...

I think Brocky would be a definite target.
    Others that would be at least considered would be Dave Fitter, Manny Edmonds, Adam Byrnes, Tim McGann, Matt Cockbain, Lloyd Johannsen, Matt Henjak, SBW, Mark Gasnier.

We had some discussion back in March here:

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=20928

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He may well battle it out with Hodgo at Melbourne...

I think Brocky would be a definite target.
    Others that would be at least considered would be Dave Fitter, Manny Edmonds, Adam Byrnes, Tim McGann, Matt Cockbain, Lloyd Johannsen, Matt Henjak, SBW, Mark Gasnier.

We had some discussion back in March here:

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=20928
    Matty Hodgson is thankfully signed until the end of 2011. He seemed pretty happy here in Perth but who knows.

Some of those you mention Burgs are probably a touch old (Cockbain, Edmonds, Fitter) or dickheads (Henjak, SBW). I'd love to see Rod Blake come back though. It would be great if Rudi Vedelago came back from retirement as well. He'd still be young enough and we are definitely short on locks. Maybe guys like Ben Jacobs would come back too.

Player
    vCash
    Brock James would be a definite. Rodney Blake possibly. Peter Hewat has siad he'd be interested. A very underrated player. There are quite a few option actually when you think about it. Plus I'm sure there watching the progress of player's in the Shute Shield and Brisbane Clubs.

vCash
    Well Mark Ella is undoubtedly going to play a large part in the new team, possibly assistant coach, he has his finger on the pulse when it comes to Sydney rugby so he will be handy to have.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought I heard somewhere that Brock James was under consideration by the French, having done his qualification time...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I was thinking about this on the train. A Victorian dream team of players currently overseas or at least not contracted to an Australian senior S14 side (yes I know most are contracted up).

1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Marquee Hooker
    3. Rodney Blake
    4. Jared Waerea Hargreaves (back from league)
    5. Dan Vickerman
    6. Hugh McMeniman
    7. Beau Robinson
    8. Scott Fava (only so he can represent all 5 teams )
    9. Nick Berry
    10. Brock James
    11. Brett Stapleton
    12. Junior Pelesasa
    13. Ben Jacobs
    14. Peter Hewat
    15. Mark Gerrard

16. Alex Walker (still young- used to play for the Saracens)
    17. Ben Coutts
    18. David Pusey
    19. Ben Coridas (I don't think he has a senior contract with the Tahs)
    20. Richard Kingi
    21. Scott Daruda
    22. Gavin de Bartolo

Give or take a few Melbournians. They'd beat the Brumbies anyway.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Gavin de Bartolo isn't eligible as he's a foreign international. Now Jimmy Hilgendorf on the other hand (assuming he didn't come back here)....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Gavin de Bartolo isn't eligible as he's a foreign international. Now Jimmy Hilgendorf on the other hand (assuming he didn't come back here)....
    Yeah I couldn't think of anyone else and I couldn't be bothered actually doing any research.