Thread: PRETORIUS EXCITED ALREADY BY 2010 SEASON WITH FORCE

vCash

PRETORIUS EXCITED ALREADY BY 2010 SEASON WITH FORCE

New Emirates Western Force flyhalf Andre Pretorius is extremely impressed with what he's seen on his visit to Perth and is excited at what lies ahead in the 2010 Investec Super 14 season.

Pretorius, 30, signed with the Force soon after the end of 2009 season and decided to leave the Lions to take up a spot in Perth as the marquee player replacing Ben Castle.

Pretorius played 31 Tests for the Springboks and was a member of the 2007 World Cup winning squad, so there is little he hasn’t achieved in his career.

Not only has he played internationally, but he has won games for his country including over the All Blacks at Newlands in 2005 and Rustenburg a year later, as well as over England at Twickenham in 2006.

That big match experience and ability to deliver under pressure is sure to make him popular with Force supporters in the No. 10 jumper.

For now, he couldn’t be more impressed with the Force's professionalism, is hoping to get his house settled and is still getting his head around actually playing in Perth next year.

"From what I've seen and what I have said from the start is that the professionalism here is remarkable and I'm looking forward to being part of a structure like that. The place to live isn’t going as well as the training at the moment, but I'm sure we will get some answers as the week goes by," Pretorius said.

"Most of the guys that have gone overseas have gone up north (to Europe) and lately some have gone to Japan, but to stay under the SANZAR flag and play for a different franchise in the Super 14 is not only surprising, but I think it's exciting.

"I had never thought I would get the opportunity to play for a franchise like this, but it was a nice surprise when they showed an interest. I'm not a pioneer or anything, but it's just the more recent happening of it will make players open to it."

Pretorius grew up at Ellis Park in Johannesburg and it wasn’t an easy decision to leave the Lions, but he didn’t want to go through yet another rebuilding phase with them.

"The Lions are starting a rebuilding phase again. We've just gone though three years of building and now they've gotten rid of the coach (Eugene Eloff), cleaned up top management and there are all new players," he said.

"They are in a building phase again and the Force has gone through that, are set to launch and hopefully I can be part of that."

One of the first things Pretorius did was to see when the Force head to Ellis Park to play the Lions, and he can't wait for the experience.

"I've already had a look at the fixtures and the first game is against the Brumbies at Members Equity," he said.

"I'm really looking forward to starting off the season well and then going back to Ellis Park, where I've grown up. For local games we used to get more of the away side support there, so kicking for goals will be no different."

Pretorius was on hand at Subiaco Oval on Saturday night to see the Springboks beat the Wallabies 32-25. That gave him the chance to meet some of his Force teammates, including James O'Connor.

Whether O'Connor plays at inside centre or fullback for the Force next season, Pretorius is looking forward immensely to playing with him and could actually learn as much from him as O'Connor should try to from his senior flyhalf.

"I got to meet James after the game on the weekend. It was a pity he didn’t get more ball in the game, but at 15 your ball is a bit limited. I'm looking forward to working with him and the other guys. Being as young as he is I've experienced a lot more on the field than he has, but I promise you he will have a couple of ideas that I will be writing down in a book as well," he said.

"It's difficult to help him with your experience when he is 19 and a Wallaby, so how do you mentor him. For me, it's going to be about using what I've got to make him as good as he can be. Then of course his talent and exuberance he brings to the field and the spontaneous nature of being so young will rub off on a 30-year-old, that's for sure."

Pretorius has spent plenty of time with Force coach John Mitchell while in Perth the last week and is already seeing signs that he will enjoy playing for him. Pretorius will bring a different style of game to what Matt Giteau did at flyhalf, and both Pretorius and Mitchell feel it will be a success.

"We have spoken at length over the last week, our views seem to correspond nicely and it's also exciting to work with a completely new coach for me. There might be some different views flying around for both him and myself," Pretorius said.

"You are an international professional player and have pressure on you whenever you walk onto the field, or training field. I'm not putting myself on any added pressure to fill someone else's boot. Matt is a fantastic player, but it's a new player, signing and team so let's take it from there."

Given Pretorius has a World Cup win already in his achievement bank, winning a Super 14 title would cap off his career perfectly.

"It would be everything. World Cup is the pinnacle, but this competition is just so tough and injuries in some of the big teams can make such a difference. Any team can beat any team if they aren’t on par physically or mentally, and it would be nice to very competitive in this competition."

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Old man Pretorius to learn new tricks from teenager O'Connor
    Justin Chadwick

September 01, 2009 12:19pm
    FORMER Springbok Andre Pretorius says he will learn just as much from James O'Connor as the teenager will learn from him during the next Super 14 season.

Pretorius, a veteran of 31 Tests with South Africa, was lured to the Western Force as the franchise's marquee international recruit to plug the giant hole left by Matt Giteau.

O'Connor, 19, is one of the world's most exciting youngsters and has already established himself in the Wallabies' set-up, impressing at fullback after making a name for himself at the Force at inside centre.

Pretorius, 30, is at the tail-end of his career and said he couldn't wait to link up with O'Connor at the Force to start swapping ideas.

"Being as young as he is I've experienced a lot more on the field than he has, but I promise you he will have a couple of ideas that I will be writing down in a book as well," Pretorius said.

"You've got a guy at 19 who's a Wallaby already, how do you mentor him?

"For me it's using what I've got to make him as good as he can be.

"Just the talent and exuberance he brings to the field and the spontaneous nature of being so young; it's going to rub off on a 30-year-old that's for sure." ............
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

There are so many quotes in this article, your head will explode!! Particularly this little nugget from Mitch about JO'C's contract "Our Western Force component (of the contract) has been sorted for some time, what people don't understand is that it's the ARU (Australian Rugby Union) detail that needs to be sorted,"

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    He looks good in real blue!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    very excited to see what he brings to the Force next year

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    very excited to see what he brings to the Force next year
    and what he learns from JOC

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    "I've already had a look at the fixtures and the first game is against the Brumbies at Members Equity," he said.

Are the fixtures out already?

coz Stone Cold says so

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    http://twf.com.au/view.php?pg=2010_super14_fixtures (with a few caveats. I've pretty much has the start date confirmed, so the weekend of the matches should be correct - the actual day (Fri/Sat/Sun) and time is pretty much random (I just put in what they were in 2006 as the matchups a are a mirror of that)

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post

Are the fixtures out already?
    The plan is but not the exact dates. It is the same as the first year. I think it goes something like:

Brumbies, Hurricanes, Chiefs, bye, Reds, Tahs, Bulls, Stormers, Highlanders, Blues, Crusaders, Lions, Cheetahs, Sharks.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    and what he learns from JOC
    If it is hair styling, it should be well worth a laugh...

vCash
    i would be excited to if i got out of south africa and away from those dirty prauns!

Senior Player
    vCash
    The first thing he should learn is to pass the ball to JOC at 12 rather than kick....

vCash
    Hes Joining Paly as his local Club.... Sorry Ella...!!!! You snooze...You lose.....
    Some of us down here CAN also communicate in Afrikaans, so that wont be a problem.... Skop Andre Skop....

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnoneil View Post
    i would be excited to if i got out of south africa and away from those dirty prauns!
    and all the hairy backed sheilas..?

coz Stone Cold says so