Thread: Teenager O'Connor set to sign staggering $1.2m contract

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Teenager O'Connor set to sign staggering $1.2m contract

Article from: PerthNow
    Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    August 29, 2009 06:30pm

WESTERN Force sensation James O'Connor will sign a $1.2m ARU deal as early as this week, making him one of the richest teenagers in Australian sport.
    Australia's stocks for the 2011 World Cup received a welcome shot in the arm yesterday when O'Connor gave the governing body verbal assurances that he had no desire to source overseas offers.

Contract talks between the ARU and O`Connor's management had stalled in recent weeks.

O'Connor has signed a third-party agreement that ties him to Perth, but the Force cannot officially sign him until he commits to the ARU.

The 19-year-old will sign an ARU contract worth $600,000 a season, with O'Connor's manager, Anthony Picone, planning to finalise the deal before the Wallabies' clash with South Africa on Saturday night in Brisbane.

"The ARU came back to us (on Friday) and James is happy with the package," Picone said.

"It's been a long process, but James has been patient and reasonable and we're now happy with the direction it's heading.

"With James, the deal was never going to be easy because he's so far ahead of other players in his age group. I expected it to be a difficult negotiation.

"James has handled it really well; the months of talks haven't affected him. He's one of the most mature players I've dealt with and hasn't got into the emotional side of the negotiation."

Neither the Force nor the ARU had been told officially of the move yesterday, but Force CEO Vern Reid said: "We're delighted with the progress in negotiations and look forward to being able to formally make an announcement on James' future in the near future."

An ARU spokesman said: "We've maintained regular contact with James' management in the last couple of months. We're hopeful of a resolution very shortly."

O'Connor was tipped to sign in June, but talks hit a stumbling block over his perceived value.

It is understood that the ARU's initial top-up component for the Force utility was inferior to those offered to Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale, who have failed to match O'Connor's exceptional rise this season.

The ARU has become increasingly frugal at the negotiating table in a bid to rein in expenditure.

Hugh McMeniman rejected a $1.1million deal in Japan, while Reds colleague Digby Ioane was set to go with him before some last-minute intervention from Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

But the ARU is mindful that O'Connor's prime years lay ahead and has upped the ante to secure him.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I WILL BELIEVE THIS WHEN I READ ABOUT IT OFFICIALLY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    I WILL BELIEVE THIS WHEN I READ ABOUT IT OFFICIALLY
    [QUOTE=travelling_gerry;226514]Article from: PerthNow

O'Connor has signed a third-party agreement that ties him to Perth, but the Force cannot officially sign him until he commits to the ARU.

What part of this staement is not being understood

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

James O'Connor to sign $1.2 million deal with Australian Rugby Union

August 30, 2009 .James O'Connor will sign a $1.2 million contract with the Australian Rugby Union as early as this week, the deal making the Wallabies sensation one of the richest teenagers in Australian sport.

Australia's stocks for the 2011 Rugby World Cup received a welcome shot in the arm on Saturday when O'Connor gave assurances that he had no desire to field overseas offers.

Contract talks between the ARU and O'Connor's management had stalled in recent weeks, fuelling fears that Australian rugby's hottest talent could be lost before the World Cup.

But the 19-year-old will stay in Australia.

His new two-year contract will be worth $600,000 a season, with O'Connor's manager, Anthony Picone, planning to finalise the deal before the Wallabies' Tri Nations Test against South Africa at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

"The ARU came back to us (on Friday) and James is happy with the package," Picone said.

"It's been a long process, but James has been patient and reasonable and we're happy with the direction it's heading. With James, the deal was never going to be easy because he's so far ahead of other players in his age group. I expected it to be a difficult negotiation.

"James has handled it really well, the months of talks haven't affected him. He's one of the most mature players I've dealt with, and he hasn't got into the emotional side of the negotiation."

Tipped to sign in June, there was a stumbling block over his perceived value.

The ARU's initial top-up component for the Western Force utility is understood to have been inferior to that offered to Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale, who have failed to match O'Connor's rise this season.

The ARU has been trying to rein in expenditure.

Hugh McMeniman rejected an offer to accept a $1.1 million deal in Japan, while Queensland Reds colleague Digby Ioane was set to go with him before last-minute intervention by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

But the ARU is mindful that O'Connor's prime years lay ahead, and it has upped the ante to secure him.

Force general manager Mitch Hardy said before the ARU move that they had become increasingly concerned by the battle to sign O'Connor.

"As far as we're concerned he's going to stay at the Force, but the ARU has to sort its business out," Hardy said.

"Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement over the next couple of weeks because we're growing a little impatient."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My tip is that signing may actually happen tomorrow