Thread: Bonus point Boks bash Wallabies in Perth

vCash

Talking Bonus point Boks bash Wallabies in Perth

The Springboks beat the Wallabies 25-32 at the Subiaco Oval, Perth in their first TriNations match away from home and picked up an important bonus point which almost puts the TriNations title in their hands.
    Bryan Habana scored two tries and his second which came in the second half secured the bonus point for the Springboks.

The Springboks started the match at a pace that the Wallabies were not able to handle. Fourie du Preez scored the first try after taking a quick tap penalty in the fourth minute.

Five minutes later the Springboks won a scrum and passed the ball out to Jaque Fourie who sliced through the Wallabies defence to score the visitor's second try. Bryan Habana scored the next two tries.

While the Springboks got the bonus point for scoring four tries the Wallabies picked up a bonus point for finishing within 7 points of the Springboks.

After trailing 6-22 at half time the Wallabies came out after the break to score the first try as Matt Giteau dived over under the posts.
    The Wallabies continued to apply pressure on the Springboks in the second half but every time they got close to the try line they would knock on or the Springboks turned the ball over.

Matt Giteau scored his second try with six minutes remaining but took the conversion too quickly and missed.

In the final minute the Wallabies got their third try as Lachie Turner scored but it was too little too late.

More to follow.

Final Score Australia 25 South Africa 32

Scorers

Australia
    Tries - Matt Giteau 2, Lachie Turner
    Pen - Matt Giteau 2
    Con - Matt Giteau 2
    Drop -

South Africa
    Tries - F. Du Preez, J Fourie, Habana 2
    Pen - Morne Steyn 2
    Con - Morne Steyn 3

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=21889

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Headline should read "Boks take out Tri-nations early" ... Well done Springboks and more over thanks for a more entertaining match...

vCash
    yay well done bokksss!!! amazinnn

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Boks outplayed us again but for once i was happy to yell out encouragement to the boys to pack down for a scrum with confidence!!

The Cat owns Smit, and Alexander put another nail in the coffin of Baxters playing career(barring injury). With our good west aussie boy Fairbrother coming into the equation next year Baxter may need to ask for a release from his contract at the end of the season next year. This means he will be able to get grass stains on his forehead in the Northern Hemisphere more often!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Boks won first half with a disgraceful display from us but we won second half. Happy that we are moving forward....got to keep an eye on the end game.

Victor is a cheating c$$t and boks lucky they didn't get anybody sent off.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    At the risk of repeating myself, I will add my opinion - when Qld rugby is weak, the Wallabies are weak. The last 5 years confirms this.

There has been absolutely no support during these past few years for the Reds - contrasted to the buckets of cash thrown at the Tahs a few years ago when they drove their budget into a wall.

If JO'N and the ARU allow the Reds to be raped again by the new franchise, the Wallabies can kiss goodbye any chance of being strong again.

Expansion is one thing - but it should not come at the expense of a grass roots province that produces the bulk of good young talent. We will end up like English County Cricket - 5 provinces of bland, moderately achieving footballers.

Last edited by tic; 30-08-09 at 12:15.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself, I will add my opinion - when Qld rugby is weak, the Wallabies are weak. The last 5 years confirms this.

There has been absolutely no support during these past few years for the Reds - contrasted to the buckets of cash thrown at the Tahs a few years ago when they drove their budget into a wall.

If JO'N and the ARU allow the Reds to be raped again by the new franchise, the Wallabies can kiss goodbye any chance of being strong again.

Expansion is one thing - but it should not come at the expense of a grass roots province that produces the bulk of good young talent. We will end up like English County Cricket - 5 provinces of bland, moderately achieving footballers.
    the idea that when qld is weak the wallabies are weak is a dismissable theory based on the historical allignment of the game, pre-1996 there were only really two avenues/teams for the wallabies to be chosen from(nsw and qld), similar comments used to be made in relation to the Broncos and QLD State Of Origin.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Well done Boks. Now Pieter didn't you enjoy that more than the Capetown game? I know I did. I think the first 20 minutes may have contributed to a bit of premature baldness though.

I don't think Richard Brown or Luke Burgess will be in the starting line up next week. I'm half tempted to suggest bringing Palu back I wonder if John Smit will play? How many penalties did he concede? Was it like 6? Why on earth don't they make du Preez or Juan Smith captain and promote Jannie du Plessis?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    How on earth can one player get 6 penalties and not be sent to the bin???

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    the idea that when qld is weak the wallabies are weak is a dismissable theory based on the historical allignment of the game, pre-1996 there were only really two avenues/teams for the wallabies to be chosen from(nsw and qld), similar comments used to be made in relation to the Broncos and QLD State Of Origin.
    The Broncos have never been in the systemic rotten state that the Reds are now - if they were, then I have no doubt that the Qld State of Origin team would be in some serious trouble.

I stand by my comment. If the Reds could improve, the Wallabies will improve as well. The truth is, Rugby Union in Australia is at a dangerous cross road. The quest for a better TV rights deal, could ultimately lead to a weakening of the game in Australia to an extent that the Wallabies could take years to recover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    The Broncos have never been in the systemic rotten state that the Reds are now - if they were, then I have no doubt that the Qld State of Origin team would be in some serious trouble.

I stand by my comment. If the Reds could improve, the Wallabies will improve as well. The truth is, Rugby Union in Australia is at a dangerous cross road. The quest for a better TV rights deal, could ultimately lead to a weakening of the game in Australia to an extent that the Wallabies could take years to recover.
    obviously having another team performing better would assist the depth and strenght of the wallabies, but to say that the current wallaby performances are a direct result of the reds poor form is a bit mislead.

Now im going to throw out some actual facts here, you make what you want of them but i think it paints a different picture to what you have been saying. Im using purely since the game went professional because comparing professional and amateur is leaving to many varibles open.

Now, if my memory serves me correctly the Reds finished minor premiers in 1996 but the wallabies lost both the tri-nations and bledisloe.

In 1998 the Reds finished 5th and the wallabies won the bledisloe 3-0 but south africa won the tri-nations.

Wallaby Glory Years 1999-2001

In 1999 the Reds finished minor premiers, australia drew the Bledisloe 1-1 and New Zealand won the Tri-Nations, also obviously the Wallabies own the RWC(note ACT finished 5th).

In 2000, Reds finished 7th & Brumbies finished 1st, Wallabies win Tri-Nations for first time and retain Bledisloe.

In 2001, Reds finish 4th & Brumbies finished 1st, Wallabies win Tri-Nations again and retain Bledisloe 2-0.

In 2002, Reds 5th, NSW 2nd, Brumbies 3rd, RSA win tri-nations and Wallabies win Bledisloe.

Apart from 1999, reds performance and wallaby performance dont really seem to correspond, alternatively the rise of the Brumbies in 1999-2001 was also the most succesful period in australian rugby.

vCash
    Giteau at 10 for 70 odd minutes = 1 try
    Giteau not at 10 with COOPER of all people at 10 for 10 odd minutes = 2 tries

Go figure

I don't have the stats behind me but it would be pretty safe to say that Quade made a better 10 than Giteau did.

I was not impressed. Burgess is well and truly not up to scratch, when they listed him and Du Preez as a to-be closely competed matchup I laughed. It's a joke. He's got to go. Valentine or Sheenan or Genia or ANYONE. But he's out.

High ball - what the hell. First half, ok, we had the wind messing with the ball. But when the boks came down and defended that end wind had not died in the slightest and they managed to catch all but one, without knocking on all the time.

They just tore us apart and we couldn't come back with anything. Shameful. Aussie rugby is lacking big time. We need Sharpe and we need Barnes. I don't fault Cross for his performance. I agree with you tic; this new franchise is bad news. Draining anyone is going to be fatal for rugby. It's not looking good.

I'd like to finish my rant with a positive thing... but I've got nothing. It was dismal. Actually, front row was alright. I have to watch the replay, but from back row behind the sticks it looked OK.

Last edited by robyn <3; 30-08-09 at 23:06. Reason: didn't make sense

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think the point Tic and Tocc is that the Wallabies have performed best when at least 2 of the Super 14 teams are performing well. Your right Tic that if the Reds start doing better so will the Wallabies but that is less to do with the fact that its the Reds and more to do with the fact that they have been scoring double figures in the ladder standings in the last few years. It would have to be done in a transparent way but the ARU should actively work to support any one of the four teams that is struggling. If the ARU puts an extra 100,000 a season into someone like Hugh McMeniman it keeps a good player playing for Australia, it keeps the Reds competitive and therefore keeps those fans from Queensland from being disillusioned and lost to rugby union. You'd have to be careful where luring players from other franchises was concerned but for overseas players planning to come back to Australia giving them a bit extra to go to a weaker team makes sense. Hmmm. Australian schoolboys teams have been doing really well recently. A few wins against NZ and one notable win in NZ. The talent is there but its just 3 or 4 years away from being ready.

One pattern I noticed was that 2001 was Australia's golden year with the Bledisloe, the Tri-Nations and the Lions series. And in 2005 the All Blacks seemed invincible and tore the Lions to shreds. Now in 2009 the Boks look like an unstoppable force having just played the Lions. Maybe Australia will return to the top in 2013.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any of this "how wonderful the Springboks are" nonsense. What they're doing right is, like England in 2003, playing a tight team game based on the ability to dominate territory and rely on a kicker to get them points, under recidivist rules that reward negativity and spoiling. But that doesn't make them anything special. They're workmanlike at best and have the creativity of a lobotomised accountant. They constantly offend and usually get away with murder from referees that are clearly under instructions from the IRB not to penalise blatant offsides and ball-killing so that second-rate NH sides will also be competitive. The Springboks' main asset in this year's tri-nations has been the poor form of the opposition, and even then they're not winning by big margins. Take Saturday's game at Subi Oval for instance. The Wallabies played some of the worst rugby I can ever remember them producing for three quarters of the game but still ended up losing by just seven points. All Australia and New Zealand need to do is lift their game a little, eliminate the schoolboy errors that have plagued both teams, start playing with a little purpose and the Springboks will be relegated to their usual position -- solid but limited journeymen. Having said all that though, Australia and New Zealand have shot themselves in the foot, the points are on the board and South Africa are deserving world champions. Just don't get too excited about what that really means.

Veteran
    vCash
    i said it on Saturday night, as soon as the wallabies have a bit of momentum, and they are in their own half, give away a penalty. there we go, 3 points instead of 7.