Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Semi-Finalists 2006

vCash

Semi-Finalists 2006

With the season in Round 9, and the Crusaders, Waratahs, Hurricanes and Brumbies within the top four for many weeks now (alternating first-second-third positions), will there be any changes when the semi finals arrive?

What's your pick for positions 1,2,3,4 ?

Will any of the chasing POSSE manage to break into a semi position?
    Candidates AT THIS STAGE are Bulls,Cheetahs,Chiefs,Highlanders.
    (Sharks real outsiders)

Here are matches which most likely decide the outcome- first team at home ; (posse games)
    Rd
    9 Crusaders v Tahs Bumbies v Cheetahs (Chiefs v Bulls)
    10 Tahs v Brumbies H'landers v H'canes (Crusad v Cheetahs)
    11 Brumbies v H'canes (Chiefs v Cheetahs) (Bulls v Cats)
    12 H'landers v Tahs H'canes v Chiefs (Cheetahs v Blues) (Bulls v Sharks)
    13 Brumbies v H'landers Chiefs v Tahs (Bulls v Crusaders)
    14 Crusaders v Brumbies Tahs v H'canes

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    With Round9 results in, Crusaders & 'Tahs sent shivers through the other teams with the quality of their game, which IMHO was Test match standard in the first half. Is it a 'two-horse race' to the Final?

Brumbies had something to say about that with their demolition of any game/finals hopes of the Cheetahs. Brumbies looked more like the Finalists of old. Larkham,Gregan,Smith turned it on.

Chiefs have probably said goodbye to semis with their draw against Bulls at Hamilton. Chiefs have Stormers and Cheetahs at home followed by (A)H'canes, (H)'Tahs ,(A)Blues .

Highlanders not convincing with win against Force after being down 15-8 at halftime. H'landers play (H)H'canes,(H)Tahs and (A)Brumbies and any loss means exit from semis hopes. So they could be gone next weekend Rd10. This only leaves Bulls with any chance from 'posse'.

Points standing-Crus 35, 'Tahs 33, Brum 28, H'canes 28, Bulls 22, H'land 22

Next five rounds(Rds 10-14) of H & A matches for these teams are;

Crus - H Cheetahs--, -- Force---,- A- Stormers--- ,- A- Bulls----- ,-- H- Brumbies
    "Tahs-- H- Brumbies--- ,- bye--- ,-- A- H'landers---- ,- A- Chiefs,-- H- H'canes
    Brum- -A -'Tahs--- , -- H- H'canes--,- H- Reds---- ,- H -H'land--, --- A Crus
    H'canes--A- H'land---- ,- A- Brum---- ,- H- Chiefs--- ,- H- Reds--- , - A- 'Tahs-

Bulls -- A- Reds---- ,-- H- Cats--- ,- H- Sharks---- ,-- H- Crus--- ,- A- Stormers---
    H'land -- H- H'canes-- ,--- bye-- ,-- H- W'Tahs---- ,- A- Brum ---- ,- A- Reds--.

Last edited by MysticBalls; 30-04-06 at 17:50.

vCash
    My'Balls,

I think the Brumbies will show the Tahs how good a team they are this weekend. If the Tahs are without Rogers I think they are going to be in real trouble. Palu is also out which hurts them.

For me the Brumbies are the top aussie side, Crusaders will cruise in on top of the ladder. But the Hurricanes haven't been too impressive in the last few weeks, it will be interesting to see if they can get it together for the run home or whether they continue their drop off in form. There is a good chance they could drop 3 of their last 5 (Brumbies, Chiefs, Tahs) and they could lose to the highlanders as well.

Which would really open the door for the Bulls who have a relatively easy run home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    Thanks Rodent. In Round 10 the Crusaders Waratahs and Hurricanes all marched forward.
    However the Brumbies (Larkham gone for rest of season?) and Bulls went backwards.

The Brumbies/Hurricane game of Rd 11 will be very interesting now as Brumbies can't afford another loss- and with a new 5/8 in Fairbanks who I'm not sold on. Watching the NZ commentators on Inside Rugby- they thought that the 'Canes hadn't got out of second or third gear for a while! I've wondered about that and their flat performances. So there may be a ring of truth in this. I remember their earlier win against Bulls in Pretoria, when they were awesome and obviously in top gear.

So if the 'Canes do turn it on, (and why shouldn't they?), and the Brumbies falter with the new combinations forced on them by Giteau's injury woes, an unthinkable loss at Canberra may occur.
    Even more daunting will be the inside channel men of 'Canes- So'oialo,Weepu,Holwell and the centres Umaga & Nonu. This is where the real damage could be done!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Brumbies, but it'll be a cracker of a game!

PS are the Sharks starting to be in the frame? Their big test is the Bulls at Pret. Rd12.

vCash
    Well, well, well. Who'da thought it. Last night could turn out to be a match that influences big time. With the Crusaders to face the Stormers and then The Bulls in Pretoria it's concievable, but unlikely, that they could drop 2 in the Republic. It doesn't get any easier on the way home either. Interesting.

vCash
    Shasta, lots of Force fans would love to see Saders have a tumble in Saffa land , as well as Wtahs!

Rodent happy Brumbies beat H'canes last week. Can Chiefs similarly dent them this week?

Will Bulls and Sharks stop each others chances at fourth pos?

No prizes for guessing final 1,2,3,4 teams - just a bit of fun leading into the FINALS COUNTDOWN !!!!

vCash
    Week 12 -Crusaders lose! Wk 13 Tahs & Brumbies lose !

Wk 13 table Crus 47, Tahs 44, H'canes 43, Brumb 38,-----Sharks 33, Bulls 33, (Chiefs 32)

Brumbies only need a point from last game v Crus to secure 4th posi, or even no points!
    (Sharks & Bulls need max points + shut out of Brum for 4th pos + about 57 points on F/A !)

Wtahs have about same as Crus on + F/A (about 174-5 , with H'canes(97), Brum(87)

So next weeks Rd14 shapes as Crus v Brumbies (Gregan?)---- Wtahs v H'canes

Exactly the same games at the same locations will eventuate as the Semi-finals the following week if the home teams win! (1v4,2v3)
    BORING - expect some foxing on reserve benches this week! 8)

Wtahs and Crus must win to get the next home final. Then Final possibly is Crus v Wtahs in Christchurch.

If either or both the Brumbies and H'canes win next week in Rd14 - how does it play out for the Semi-finals?

Last edited by MysticBalls; 08-05-06 at 14:04.

vCash
    Well well, the Brumbies game plan has come unstuck. Do they still hate The Force or do they want the boys to kick arse?

By my calculations, which are definately up for correction. The Sharks need our boys to leak four tries and beat us by at least 10 points. The way they've been defending lately they'd be long odds to concede four trys, I reckon.

If the boys do go well they still need The Bulls to miss 5 points as well. Interesting.

vCash
    Thanks Shas. For 6 weeks now I've been hopin the semi-final race fires up, and it finally does in the last round - big time!
    Sorry Rodent we couldn't get your Brumbies over the line after that rolling they got in Christchurch
    (minus Gregan,Larkham and Giteau).

Sharks came out possessed by finals fever and got their 4 tries and win by 10+, but that doesn't mean the Force made it easy for them. The Sharks know that the Bulls could pip them but the ask is much taller - 4 tries and win+32+pts against Stormers in Cape Town.

(News) Sailor out of WTahs v H'canes game over disciplinary charges. Tahs go down 19-14. HOLY JESUS and EWEN !!!

So its 1 Crusaders v 4 Sharks-----and 2 Hurricanes v 3 Waratahs----next week (unless Bulls replace Sharks!!)

1 Crusaders 2 Hurricanes 3 Waratahs 4 Sharks !!!-----(nurse pass me those heart pills please - the blue ones)

from little things, big things grow...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticBalls
    (News) Sailor out of WTahs v H'canes game over disciplinary charges. Tahs go down 19-14.
    Sorry Sage, but: CHO.....
    I doubt anyone but a true blue supporter would have backed the Bulls to make it either!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Sorry Sage, but: CHO.....
    So it seems.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At least you don't support the Brumbies mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was about to rip into my dad for supporting the Brumbies, "Bastards can't even lose properly, etc".. But after last night I've got no spirit left.

My spirit will be strong again for next Saturday, but right now... *shakes head sadly*

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Chin up mate, the hopes of Australia now rest on your teams shakey shoulders.
    A bit more go-go juice and they will be fine

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hehehe. Still waiting to find out if it was go-go juice or Henjak powder that Sailor was on.

Lets hope next week my mood can go from this:

To this:

Last edited by Sagerian; 14-05-06 at 17:03.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast