Rupert Guinness | August 25, 2009

WALLABIES prop Ben Alexander rated his extra time scrummaging against All Blacks loose-head Tony Woodcock in last weekend's Bledisloe Cup defeat as ''tough, very tough''.
But the 24-year-old tight-head prop still believes his toughest - and best - head-to-head opposition this season has come from within the Wallabies at training, from Benn Robinson.
Based on his performance against the All Blacks last Saturday and that of Wallabies No.3 Al Baxter, whom he replaced after 34 minutes in Australia's 19-18 loss, Alexander could find himself named today in the starting side for the Test against the Springboks in Perth on Saturday.
The Wallabies line-up could face several changes following the heartbreaking loss to the All Blacks in Sydney - changes that could be determined by injury as much as form.
In doubt pending results of medical check-ups yesterday are second-rower Nathan Sharpe (shoulder), back-rower Rocky Elsom (ankle), inside-centre Berrick Barnes (concussion) and full-back James O'Connor (cork).
If picked for his second Test start this year and 11th cap, Alexander should feel the benefit from his time against Woodcock that increased his tally of Test minutes played this season to 234.
However, while Woodcock is one of the world's best loose-heads, Alexander still believes that the ''belting'' he has received in training against Robinson - mixed with advice from Baxter and Wallabies scrum coach Patricio Noriega - will have as great an influence on how he shapes up.
''It was tough, very tough,'' Alexander said of facing Woodcock who has 56 caps. ''But I am lucky I've had a really good build-up training-wise with Al guiding me and [going] up against Benn Robinson every week in scrum sessions.
''It has helped me, getting belted around at training. He is the most difficult loose-head I have scrummaged against.
''That is what you want to practise against - the best. You don't want to scrummage against a muppet at training, smash him and then come up against someone very good on the weekend.''
Robinson, who has 23 Test caps, has constantly flummoxed his opposition in Super 14 and Test rugby this year with his strength, making the best of the advantage his compact, 183-centimetre frame offers.
''He is pretty tight. He is very, very good and efficient at getting under you,'' Alexander said. ''As a tight-head, you don't want your loose-head under you because they can pick you up and drive you back. He is the best in the business at doing that.''
Alexander knows he must continue to develop as a tight-head, but he also realises his decision-making under pressure must improve. It went awry in the final minute against the All Blacks.
He plans to show against the Springboks that his bout of white-line fever last Saturday night when the ball went to ground two metres shy of the try line was an exception.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...001857055.html