AAP, The West Australian August 23, 2009, 7:40 pm

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has promised no "white flag" as he continues to seek a solution to Australia's inability to close out big Tests, especially against his home country.

The Wallabies have lost five of six matches against New Zealand since Deans took the helm last year, but they have led at halftime in four of those defeats.
The latest fade out came on Saturday night, when Australia led 12-3 at the break and 18-16 with less than two minutes left, before All Blacks five-eighth Dan Carter cooly slotted over a penalty goal to win 19-18.

The inability to collect points during a promising final attacking raid - when a dropped goal opportunity when begging - meant the Bledisloe Cup stays in Kiwi hands for a seventh straight year and winless Australia remains rooted to the bottom of the Tri Nations table.

Whatever Deans has told him men at halftime, it hasn't solved the fading problem yet.

The Wallabies led at halftime in Auckland last month, and in Hong Kong and Brisbane last year before being overrun.

Their inability to play for 80 minutes was also on display against South Africa in Cape Town two weeks ago, when they scored a try within the first 90 seconds but lost the match 29-17.

"We've just got to find a way of taking that last step," Deans told reporters at Sydney Airport on Sunday en route to Perth for the second clash with the Springboks on Saturday.

"It was eminently achievable but we're not there yet."

Deans, who shrugged off suggestions he was under the pump after the ANZ Stadium loss, said the experience - and pain - of Saturday's latest crash landing would be part of the team's learning curve.

"We do have a young group and they're learning that art and it's a bit like creeping moss, they're getting closer but they're not there and we're still contributing to the fact we're not getting home ourselves," he said.
"So long as we retain those elements that we can work with and we commit to those little incremental gains, then we will get there, there's nothing surer."

The Wallabies began the Tri Nations spruiking their "belief", and Deans said he was unsure whether three straight losses would dent their confidence.
"I'd like to think there's no moping, no self pity, because we had an opportunity and that's the nature of not only the industry of the game but life," he said.
"It's not a rehearsal. You give it your best shot and you get up and dust yourself off and keep going.

"If you lie around and mope then it's like waving the white flag. I don't think there'll be any of that."

But the coach did not rule out changes for next Saturday's clash with South Africa at Subiaco Oval, with prop Al Baxter the player most under scrutiny after he was replaced in the first half.

"The group won't change, obviously the way we use the group might and some of that might be forced, some of it might be decisions that we'll make," Deans said.
The Australians received some good news on Sunday with teenage fullback James O'Connor cleared of a fracture in his leg.

But flanker Rocky Elsom (ankle), centre Berrick Barnes (neck, concussion) and lock Nathan Sharpe (shoulder) will all be assessed when the team arrives in Perth.
"I think (I'll be fit) at this stage," Barnes told reporters.

"It's just a matter of, obviously, getting it all right, doing the necessary things to prove that you're right and we'll go from there.
"Dad always says I play better with concussion."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ies-wobble-on/