Thread: Low moment didn't surprise Al Baxter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Low moment didn't surprise Al Baxter

AL Baxter wasn't totally surprised he was taken off the field 30 minutes into the Test against the All Blacks on Saturday night.

After being repeatedly penalised for illegal binding in the 22-16 loss to the All Blacks in Auckland five weeks ago, Baxter entered the Sydney Test under intense scrutiny.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry had taken scrum guru Mike Cron to a meeting with South African referee Jonathan Kaplan in the lead-up to the match because of his concerns about the way the Wallabies, and in particular Baxter, scrummaged.
    So when Kaplan awarded a free kick to the All Blacks for Baxter collapsing a scrum, coach Robbie Deans got out the shepherd's crook and hooked him, injecting rookie tighthead prop Ben Alexander into the fray.

"You never like to come off early, but I guess when I wasn't performing as well as I should have, then they get someone else on," Baxter said.

"Ben has been playing really well in training and has gone well every time he has come on. They knew they had a good back-up option on the bench.
    "If I had been performing better, it wouldn't have been an issue."

There was speculation Deans might go to the bench early, with a few senior forwards under pressure to perform.

Asked whether he had intended to replace Baxter at the 30-minute mark, Deans said: "We were going to go the moment we encountered difficulty with the referee, which we did.

"That was a contributing factor, but we always anticipated getting Benny Alexander into the game as well.

"Benny is going really well. He's done well in every instance. He's comfortable in that role."

Deans' praise for Alexander will add to the sense that it is only a matter of time before he replaces Baxter as the starting tighthead on a permanent basis, perhaps as early as the Test against the world champion Springboks in Perth on Saturday.

But while Baxter has struggled against the All Blacks, he performed well against the Springboks in the Wallabies loss in Cape Town two weeks ago, although most observers believe the scrum went better when Alexander and reserve hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau came off the bench.

"It's the scrummaging style of the opposition, I've got to say," Baxter said. "The New Zealand side likes to scrummage far lower.

"It's frustrating. In the previous All Black-Springbok matches, there were a lot of collapses and resets just like with us. When you play the All Blacks there seems to be a lot of resets because they pack low. Unfortunately, that's frustrating for all involved.

"When you play against the Springboks they pack a bit high. They are bigger blokes, so I guess they can't get as low.

"When we played the Boks there was one or two collapses in the whole game. Different teams scrummage differently and you get a different result."
    Baxter said he was not apprehensive about retaining his starting position, although he realises he is on notice.

"I'm not on edge," Baxter said. "I've got to lift my performance. It has certainly given me a kick to make sure I perform better at training and make sure I perform better when I get a game.

"I don't think it's a huge issue. It has been frustrating, but it hasn't been an issue at Super 14 and it wasn't an issue last year in Test rugby.

"It's just something that has come up in the last two New Zealand games. Career-wise, it's nothing. Hopefully, move on to the next game."

New Zealander Bryce Lawrence will referee the Springboks Test, but Baxter did not think that the scrum would be officiated any differently.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Baxter left to prop up the bench

Wallabies tight-head prop Al Baxter has discovered that not only are referees out to get him, but the Test selectors have an eye on him as well.

Baxter's starting position is under serious threat after he was replaced in the first half on Saturday by Ben Alexander - moments after he was penalised by Jonathan Kaplan for bringing down a scrum.

Baxter's anguish in being replaced after just 30 minutes was evident when the television cameras focused on him as he took his seat on the sideline. The long-time Test front-rower was seething.

In the two All Blacks Tests this year, Baxter has attracted the referee's attention, being repeatedly penalised by Craig Joubert in Auckland and then Kaplan gave him no rest on Saturday night.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans yesterday admitted Baxter had become a bit of a gnawing problem, saying the plan had always been to replace him when ''he encountered difficulty with the referee, which he did''. After a long pause, he added: ''That was a contributing factor, but we always anticipated getting Ben [Alexander] into the game as well.''

To further push Alexander's case for a starting spot against the Springboks next weekend, Deans said: ''He went great. He is going really well. He's done well in every instance, and he's comfortable in that [tight-head] role.''

And Baxter doesn't need reminding he is under enormous pressure.

''This has given me a kick up the bum to perform better at training and make sure I perform better when I get into the game,'' the Waratahs prop said yesterday.

Asked if he was surprised at being replaced so early, Baxter said: ''Yes and no. I never like to come off early, but I guess as I wasn't performing as well as I should have, then they get someone else on. Ben has been playing very well at training and every time he has come on, so I guess they knew they had a good back-up option on the bench.''

Baxter said his problems with referees in All Blacks matches ''wouldn't be an issue if I was performing better''.

''It's something we're looking at. It becomes frustrating during games, but it's something that we have to deal with. It's part of professional rugby, and I've got to fix it.''

Baxter said he thought a part of the problem was that the All Blacks packed lower than the Springboks, and that led to more collapsed scrums.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...001811022.html

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I still think these new jersey's make it impossible to bind properly .. the jersey has changed but the angle of the scrum and the rule about collapsing has not.. sigh.