Thread: Dunning the Woodie eyes the Wallabies tour of Europe

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Dunning the Woodie eyes the Wallabies tour of Europe

Josh Rakic

August 23, 2009 - 12:27AM
    MATT DUNNING has spoken for the first time about how he feared his career was over when he snapped his Achilles tendon last November.

As he prepares to launch Eastwood's finals bid in the Shute Shield, a rejuvenated and lighter Dunning said he had his sights set on making his international return on the Wallabies' end-of-season spring tour. And reckons he's exorcised any demons he might have had after coming through 10 high-paced club rugby games unscathed.

"I'm just glad to be back playing football because when I first did my Achilles there was the potential that I mightn't get back at all. It was touch and go for a bit - a bit worrying," said the 43-Test veteran, in a rare interview. "So to be back after 5½ months and have 10 games under my belt, I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be. I'm lucky to be back let alone be playing every week.

"When you come back … from an Achilles you're going to have some little niggles, not hiccups, but the last two or three weeks have been really good so I'm really happy with it. The Achilles is all good. I wouldn't say I could sprint at 100 per cent, but it's very rare for me to sprint in a game (laughs). So I'm lucky in that way."

Worried he wouldn't make a full recovery from the same injury Kiwi No.10 Dan Carter had, Dunning set about doing everything possible to give himself the best chance - even losing seven kilograms from his bulky frame.

"I lost the weight initially because I needed something to work towards. Something to stay focused on," he said.

"When you do an Achilles all you can really do is weights at first. So I thought if I wanted to come back at all and hopefully early, that losing six or seven kilos would make a big difference, and it has.

"I've probably put one or two back on because I was a little bit light when I came back, and I'm happy with the weight now. I'm playing at about 117kg. It's a good weight for club rugby but if I'm too light for international rugby, I'll have no problem putting it back on if I need to," he laughs.

And while he hasn't given up hope of earning a reprieve in this year's Tri Nations series, the Western Force recruit has both eyes set firmly on returning for Australia's spring tour of Europe - the same tour that almost ended his career at just 30 years of age.

"I've had no problems playing the full game for Eastwood. I don't think I've been perfect by any means, but things are going well," he said.

"I'd love to play for the Wallabies again. But unless there's an injury, I can't see myself getting into the Tri Nations. But obviously the grand slam end of season tour is a goal of mine. If I keep playing well, I hope to be in that.

"I'm 100 per cent confident in that I won't snap it again - it's as strong as it could possibly be."
    He hasn't ruled out making a bid to play in his second World Cup, either. "When I signed with the Force I signed a two-year deal with the ARU and one year with an option at the Force, so the World Cup is definitely a priority for me."

The one-year option in Dunning's contract could free him up to play for Melbourne if it's awarded the 15th Super franchise for 2011. The keen golfer will leave his family in Sydney next Super season.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0823-eult.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If last night was the end of Baxter maybe they will consider Dunning for the role of tighthead.

I'd prefer it if he didn't. That way he'd have more to play for next year. Plus it would give him plenty of time in pre-season to get to know his new team mates.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.