Thread: Tri-Nations over for Test loser, says Richie McCaw

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tri-Nations over for Test loser, says Richie McCaw

Bret Harris | August 17, 2009

Article from: The Australian

NEW Zealand captain Richie McCaw believes the loser of the Test between the All Blacks and Wallabies in Sydney on Saturday night will effectively be eliminated from the race for the Tri-Nations title.

The All Blacks arrived in Sydney last night with the dual aim of staying alive in the Tri Nations and securing the Bledisloe Cup. Both teams will enter the Test having lost their last two games and another defeat will almost certainly mean the end of their Tri-Nations campaign.

"There always is (pressure), but with the last couple of results for both of us, it means that it ups it just a little bit more. But that's exciting," McCaw said.
    "From our point of view, having the disappointment we've had over in Africa, go home, two weeks between playing, we are pretty excited about getting back on the field again.

"It's always like that (must-win). It hasn't changed too much, but I guess in the context of the Tri Nations - it might even be out of our control now - but if we are going to be a chance, we have to win the last three games and we've got to start that on Saturday."

A win for the All Blacks on Saturday night will not only keep them in the hunt for the Tri-Nations title, but it will keep the Bledisloe Cup in New Zealand for the seventh straight year.

Having beaten the Wallabies 22-16 in Auckland a month ago, the All Blacks only have to win one of the remaining three Bledisloe Cup matches to retain it.
    "From our point of view the Bledisloe is still on the line as well," McCaw said.
    "That's a trophy that we - and the Wallabies would be the same - value pretty highly.

"It's another game in that series and that's a big part of it, but if you don't win this week, the Tri Nations is all but gone."

The Wallabies and the All Blacks (twice) have both dropped their away games in South Africa to the Springboks.

"South Africa is a pretty good team. Pretty much what happened to us over there perhaps happened to the Wallabies. They played a bit of rugby, but the Africans took their chances when they had them and they didn't let them get their game going. I guess we are both in the same boat. I'm sure they have had a good look at things as we have. It will be an interesting sort of game."

The Springboks have beaten the British and Irish Lions, the All Blacks and the Wallabies by playing for field position, exerting pressure and kicking penalty goals.
    But McCaw rejected the idea that the Springboks had re-adjusted to Test rugby without the contentious sanctions law, which resulted in free kicks rather than penalties being awarded for the majority of infringements. "I guess the game in terms of penalties at breakdowns means there's more shots at goal. You get punished more for your lack of discipline," McCaw said.

"But whether they have adapted any different, I'm not sure. I think the South Africans are just playing a style of rugby that suits them and they are doing it pretty efficiently. I think with the rules either way they would be doing that at this stage and we have to make sure we do that as well."

The All Blacks' capacity to turn their game around will be improved markedly with the return of five-eighth Dan Carter.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I hate to mention mathematical possibilities, but the Blacks could technically win the Tri Nations with a 1 bonus point loss, as long as they win all their home games and the Aussies beat the Boks in Perth and Brissy!...as long as the Boks don't win any bonus points along the way.

so in very real terms this could also become, whoever wins this game could still win the title........interesting season!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Technicalities my arse! So far the entire tournament has gone with serve, and it wouldn't be unheard of for that to remain the case right through and it all gets decided on bonus points. What thrilling games that will make for - just playing to not allow the opposition to get more than 7 ahead.

I am surprised that Richie said it, but then even more surprised at the low profile given to it as there is only one implication - that he expects SA to win at least one on the road either against them (treason, but real news) or Australia (and f@$%^ you very much sunshine - only we get to say that!).

vCash
    It's an odd one isn't it?