Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Perth fans need to turn up: ARU

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Perth fans need to turn up: ARU

August 15, 2009

Perth is in danger of losing future Test matches if the attendance at the Wallabies-Springboks Test at Subiaco Oval on August 29 is poor.

There are concerns that the constant criticism of Subiaco Oval in recent years, in particular that the grandstand seats are too far away from the field of play, has led to slow early ticket sales for this month's Test.

The Western Force has also been the victim of dwindling crowds at Subiaco, and Australian Rugby Union officials yesterday admitted that there were serious concerns that Perth had suddenly become a venue where it had become difficult to lure capacity crowds.

''This is an important Test match against South Africa. If Perth wants to stay on the Test match schedule, they had better show up,'' an ARU official said.

Greg Growden

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I got my tickets!

I call on all those who have mentioned that while they are delighted to be able to watch S14 at ME stadium, they understood that Spewbi was inevitable for big test matches, to front up and buy a ticket.
    If we don't go, they won't bring it! We won the battle, we got S14 at ME. We don't want to lose test matches and there's no way test matches would ever go to ME (is there?!). So we'd better put up, shut up and turn up.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    better not threaten us

Rather just help us get a rectangular venue

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Perhaps they should check the numbers for the touring matches that have been played at Subi recently. Pretty sure last years Aus v SA match was almost if not actually sold out. Next years Aus v Eng match will be sold out too I'd reckon, even with the higher prices we'll be charged.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    last year was sold out.

vCash
    no it wasn't
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    my mistake

vCash
    It's not really a reflection on Western Australian fans, just how bad Subi is. Give us a 27,000 seat rectangular stadium and see if you can buy a seat on the day for a Wallabies-Springbok game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Give us a 27,000 seat rectangular stadium and see if you can buy a seat on the day for a Wallabies-Springbok game.
    They won't play major tests in a 27,000 seater. Pro sport is all about the dollar these days. Bums on seats. But I suspect there's more to that comment than meets the eye because our crowds have always been strong for high profile matches. There are plenty on the East Coast who don't want any Tri Nations tests in Perth because they claim the WA venue offers an advantage to South Africa. The Saffas openly talk Perth up as a plus for them too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I wonder if they'll stop playing test rugby in Sydney, they struggle to sell out Homebush don't they?

C'mon the

vCash
    ''This is an important Test match against South Africa. If Perth wants to stay on the Test match schedule, they had better show up,'' an ARU official said.
    Isn't every test match against South Africa meant to be important?

Don't make threats, we turn out year in year out to support the Wallabies in the ONE game that we are actually allowed to host. Its the one chance we get to support our National team and watch them play in Perth and every year we have a massive crowd. So massive that the stadium's capacity is recorded as 42,922 (according to Austadiums.com) and in 2005 43,278 people filled it to watch a Wallabies vs Springboks game. That's only 349 people less than the record for an AFL game, not bad considering AFL is meant to be the premier sport in this state!

The fact of Subi being a crap venue for rugby is irrelevant when it comes to International tests. We've put up with it for International tests for long enough that we've learnt to suck it up in order to keep the game here. When it comes to Super 14 matches, however, the field situation became one of the most debilitating factors in terms of membership numbers and RWA had no choice but to move to a rectangular ground in order to keep spectators happy and hopefully increase member numbers.

I find it hillarious that Greg Growden is commenting on our stadium situation. We know our stadium is crap and thats not going to change for International tests. Until someone with bucket loads of money and a passion for union/league/soccer invests in getting us an adequately sized rectangular stadium we're just going to have to deal with it for International tests because our Government is proving not to give a crap about anything but AFL. In the mean time we just have to continue to suck it up for the greater good of the game and just be grateful that we no longer have to go there for Super 14!

Last edited by laura; 15-08-09 at 18:02.

Player
    vCash
    They do struggle to sell out Sydney Tests apart from Bledisoe's. They should move lesser test to smaller venues.

vCash
    Maybe we're just fed up of only getting Aus v SA; give Perth a Bledisloe match & see if there's a spare seat at Subi.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Maybe we're just fed up of only getting Aus v SA; give Perth a Bledisloe match & see if there's a spare seat at Subi.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    They'd need to set up huge TV screens on Kitchener Park AND in the Cultural Centre in Perth. Maybe another one or two at Medibank Stadium as well....

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    WHICH ARU official? I want a name.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast