Thread: Rathbone 'hangs up rugby boots'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rathbone 'hangs up rugby boots'

Peter Fitzgerald - Canberra Times | August 12, 2009 - 9:59AM

The rugby career of former ACT Brumbies and Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone is over.

Rathbone confirmed yesterday he had played his last game of professional rugby, citing injuries and a declining desire as the main reasons behind his decision.
    The 28-year-old came off contract with the Brumbies at the end of last season and fielded offers from the Western Force and multiple overseas clubs for 2010 and beyond.

But the terms largely the time frame of those deals did not suit Rathbone, who only wanted to sign for one season.

Convincing him he had made the correct decision was the fact he suffered five fractures to his eye socket and upper cheek in a collision playing for Uni-Norths Owls in the John I Dent Cup on Saturday.

He is expected to have surgery later this week.

Rathbone said his long-term health was also behind his decision.

He retires with 52 Super rugby caps for the Brumbies and 26 Tests for the Wallabies.

''I've decided to hang up the boots, it's all over,'' Rathbone said.
    ''I need to look after my long-term health and when I couldn't agree with any of the contracts that were in front of me for next year, I figured it would be best to step aside.''

Injuries have dominated Rathbone's time at the Brumbies.

He missed the first year of his first contract signed after captaining the South African under-21s team with a groin setback and has been off the field for much of the past three seasons with knee problems.
    Former Brumbies coach David Nucifora described Rathbone as an ''incredibly powerful individual''.

''He was one of the most dynamic athletes I've been involved with,'' Nucifora said.
    ''He was integral to the Brumbies winning the title in 2004.''
    Rathbone and his wife Carrie will remain living in Canberra.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...756334130.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A shame when a career comes to an end, but not a surprise with Rathbone. he seemed to get injured every time I watched him play - and even when not by the sounds.

Thanks for the memories Clyde - "Mr Kamikaze"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Former Wallaby Clyde Rathbone confirms retirement from rugby

By Jim Morton
    August 12, 2009 .Former Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone will undergo surgery on Thursday which will effectively end his career after suffering a nasty facial injury.

Rathbone sustained facial fractures while playing for Uni-Norths in the Canberra club rugby competition on the weekend.

The South African-raised 28-year-old, who debuted for Australia in 2004, had already decided 2009 would be his last in the Super 14 for the Brumbies.

"The injury happened after I decided but I guess it just solidified things,'' Rathbone said.

"I'm not exactly sure what happened. I got hit in the ruck.

"It may have been a knee ... I hope it was accidental.''

Rathbone retires after playing 26 Tests for Australia and 52 Super rugby matches for the Brumbies, but both tallies would have been much higher if not for a dreadful run with injury over the past four seasons.

A chronic knee problem restricted him to almost no rugby from March 2007. While he made a brave comeback after surgery this season, the tackle-shedding flyer had lost his pace and impact.

Rathbone, who fielded offers from both the Western Force and overseas, wanted to stay in Canberra to continue his business, Health Futures.

"It came down to the main factor in the decision was just from a lifestyle point of view and to make sure I can do all the things I like to do,'' he said.

"I like to be quite active with playing squash and go hiking and do all that stuff and if I keep doing what I'm doing with my knee I won't able to do that.''

With Rathbone no longer on their roster, the Brumbies have moved closer to finalising their 2010 squad by signing Northern Suburbs (Sydney) outside back Andrew Smith to a rookie contract.

"Clyde was one of the most explosive and damaging players in the Super 14 when he burst upon the scene with the Brumbies in 2003,'' Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"He always kept his chin up and worked extremely hard to get himself back on the pitch from injuries but, no matter what the situation, he was always a positive contributor to the team.

"It was a good measure of the man that it was always about the team rather than himself.''

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

vCash
    All the Best Clyde thanks for the great rugby... cheers mudskipper

vCash
    Did you buy some new boots recently Clyde?
    If so, what size do you take?
    If they are size 11 or 12 I might be able to make use of them for you?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    An Impostor Clyde....mmmmmm,,,,,,, and a petite size 6….. A Clydette