Thread: Tuqiri: My rugby career isn't over yet

vCash

Tuqiri: My rugby career isn't over yet

He's obviously not aware of the IRB regulation that once you've played for one country you can't play for another...

THE Australian Rugby Union might have ripped up my contract and I am interested in a cameo season in the NRL - but that doesn't mean my rugby career is over.

I know it all sounds a bit complicated, but that's just the way it is with my court case against the ARU beginning in the NSW Supreme Court last Friday.

Over the past month, I've had a host of options bouncing around.

Being a professional footballer, the desire to challenge myself at the elite level burns strongly - and that's why I'm looking at my options in league and rugby.

Having spoken with my wife Rebekah, our first priority is to remain in Australia. That's why I'm interested in the NRL.

I realise I'd have to take a pay cut. That's something I'd be prepared to do. For me, a return to the game I grew up in would be all about seeing if I've got what it takes to cut it at the top.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    I look at Wendell Sailor and what a revelation he's been and what a wonderful story it's been for the game. Too often league can get kicked when it's down.

So one of the possibilities is that I find an NRL club for next season and have one season back in rugby league.
    I've been told there could be some interest, but I haven't had any firm offers yet.

If I did go back to league for a season, then what's to stop me from returning to rugby union the following year.
    There's going to be a fifth Super rugby franchise in Australia in 2011 and becoming the face of Australia's newest club interests me.

It could be in Melbourne or the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast, the ARU are looking at six submissions and will make a decision at the end of October.
    Obviously the ARU would have to agree to it, but the prospect of helping grow the game in a new environment appeals.
    The other rugby union consideration is the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand. I had my heart set on playing for the Wallabies, but it's pretty clear that won't be happening.

But representing Fiji, my country of birth, has a major appeal. Everyone always loves watching the way the Fijian boys throw the ball around and they often give as good as they get.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225759323210

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I suspect he is correct - many rugby union people love to point out that many of the headlines generated in Union are caused by ex league people.

At the end of the day he has a family to look after and hopefully a useful life to live - if he ends up "giving" back to rugby via Fiji or where ever then that's not a bad thing; am guessing that the reality clause of all of this is beginning to set in.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    If I did go back to league for a season, then what's to stop me from returning to rugby union the following year.
    There's going to be a fifth Super rugby franchise in Australia in 2011 and becoming the face of Australia's newest club interests me.
    Erm, getting a contract from the ARU? Aren't players for the new franchise going to have to meet the same standard as the four existing franchises? Or would Lote be the 'foreign' player?

But representing Fiji, my country of birth, has a major appeal. Everyone always loves watching the way the Fijian boys throw the ball around and they often give as good as they get.
    I'm sure it does, but you've represented Australia. Could Lote play for Fiji at a lesser level, or even Sevens? The question that then occurs is why would Fiji, who love to throw the ball around, play a guy who doesn't pass and whose catching skills are suspect?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Erm, getting a contract from the ARU? Aren't players for the new franchise going to have to meet the same standard as the four existing franchises? Or would Lote be the 'foreign' player?
    Not after what happened to Hugh McMeniman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Could Lote play for Fiji at a lesser level, or even Sevens?
    Nope - tests, "A" matches and sevens are all treated the same.

vCash
    ARU can choose not to give him a top up, legally though i dont think they can refuse to register him, he still suits all the criteria(elegible for the wallabies), unless there is some serious third-party involved i cant see him signing for another S14 side in aus.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I't will be interesting to know how this works. I am not sure it is a case of "registering" him - as a professional player, my understanding is that the ARU has to be party to his contract whether he is getting a top-up or not (i.e all professional players are centrally contracted). They probably can't stop him playing amateur rugby, but whether they are obliged to enable him to play professional rugby just because he wants to despite past contractual issues...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I't will be interesting to know how this works. I am not sure it is a case of "registering" him - as a professional player, my understanding is that the ARU has to be party to his contract whether he is getting a top-up or not (i.e all professional players are centrally contracted).
    I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't there seem to be a restraint of trade issue there if the ARU vetoed a contract like that? I doubt it will happen anyway because none of the franchises, excepting possibly Queensland, would want to rock the ARU boat.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

God he is full of himself

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't there seem to be a restraint of trade issue there
    I doubt it. I would think the ARU could easily argue that they are in no way restraining his ability to play as a professional rugby player, he just has to do so in competitions not run by them i.e. Test and Super rugby are not available to him, but he is free to play professionally for any other side.

vCash
    would that apply if the 5th Australian franchise is given to one of the private bidders?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I doubt it. I would think the ARU could easily argue that they are in no way restraining his ability to play as a professional rugby player, he just has to do so in competitions not run by them i.e. Test and Super rugby are not available to him, but he is free to play professionally for any other side.
    SANZAR runs S14/15. I'ts very doubtful but if the issue became more than hypothetical a lot might depend on the outcome of his legal case. At least it might if the ARU still decided to "black ball" him. No pun intended.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That is an interesting thought - is there restraint of trade when he could presumably still play Super rugby in SA or NZ?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    What about Rugby 7s?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    What I said before... unless he turned out for the "Fijian Warriors" or something...