Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boks put clumsy Wallabies to the sword

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    mortlock turned the ball over each time he was tackled
    Kept on running straight at Brüssow!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Smit cheated in that scrum he deliberately seeded the refs mind and promptly turned in the scrum.

Wallabies need more discipline

Fans will pay to watch em thrash the Boks - with a different mindset reckon they could too.

Aussie Scrum was just AWESOME.

At the risk of sounding like an idoit thought that Brown was unfairly pinged - he was one tackler ergo he can't be offside when he is getting up off the floor. George Smith also sort of mentioned this to the ref - but I will await Ecky's comment to be corrected if I have misunderstood this one.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an idoit thought that Brown was unfairly pinged - he was one tackler ergo he can't be offside when he is getting up off the floor. George Smith also sort of mentioned this to the ref - but I will await Ecky's comment to be corrected if I have misunderstood this one.
    The technicality of that was that Barnes was also a tackler and his presence made it a ruck since South African support had arrived and promptly took him out. Had Barnes not been there then what he did would have been fine because it wouldn't've been a ruck. Presumably Brown didn't notice Barnes was there. You could call his sinbinning a bit harsh but Rolland was fairly clear that if Australia were pinged for offside again they'd get carded.

It's been a while since Mortlock has had a good game. He's become a bit too easy to read and just doesn't make the same kind of metreage he used to. I think age is finally taking its toll there. But AAC, Crossy and Ioane are all great options for Australia at 13 and would walk into pretty much every other international team.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Ch 10 said suspected torn knee cartilage/ligament, in doubt for the rest of the tri-nations.

Could pave the way nicely for Crossy to get into the team.
    Depending on the state of the tear, it could leave him struggling to make the Super 14 next year. With completely torn cruciate ligaments it can be 6-8 months until you start training. Wonder if the Brumbies are looking for another back now.

vCash
    is anyone able to burn the game onto a dvd? so i can watch it when i get back to perth? i can pay for postage. and any other expences incurred

vCash
    Ah, what can I say about the commentary? Literally, they were still busy complaining about the 3-point penalties when Barnes dropped kicked the 3-pointer. A number of times we had Dan complaining about a penalty here or there, to have Gordon correct or disagree with him. Sometimes it simply pathetic. I've watched many a rugby game (many years ago) covered by the South African Super Sport, and rarely ever had an issue with their commentary (this coming from a blinkered AB supporter).

Let's call a spade a spade. For a team that prides itself on control and perfection, the Wallabies were woeful. They lacked structure and constantly kicked either aimlessly or without any followups. When they didn't kick it, they couldn't string a couple of passes together. And, how many balls did they lose to a number 4 throw? Hardly any hard runs and little protection of the ball, I imagine they were lucky this game wasn't played under the ELVs being hyped up around because they would have been run over.

Dumb Wallaby play got them their just result.

Okay, the positive (?). They had 13 men at one point and the Saffas didn't pile on the points. Kudos to their defense but as many of you would be aware, the paradox of this situation is that -

1. The attacking team feels the number pressure and what happens more often than not, is that the team invariably loses a little of its structure discipline as players become a little bit pressured to take advantage of the numerical advantage (forcing 50/50 passes or plays).

2. The defending team locks up. Players generally realise that they can't rely on cover defense, that they have to make that tackle, that they have to be that cover defense. The defensive structure tightens up a little bit more as the players recognise that they are defending against 2 (or 3) opponents at any given time and therefore mentally firm up.

So, really, those 10 minutes provide nothing for either team to review. Yes, the Aussies can take some comfort in knowing they didn't allow points during that 10 minute period but that would mean the Saffa trys were scored when they (Wallabies) had a full compliment of personnel..hmm..

From an entertainment point of vew, enjoyed the game and never once reached for the forward button. Though I eagerly anticipated the introduction of ELVs, their actual effect on the game left me a little flat and to be honest, don't miss them. Watched the Lions series earlier this year and felt reassured that Rugby is not any worse off without the rejected experimentals. This game reaffirmed that view.

PS - Burgess needs a stint on the reserves..really, enough already.

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 09-08-09 at 23:52.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    you don't really want to see the Boks run the ball do you
    Just imagine how far they will win then
    I'm pretty sure they tried to run it with a 2 man advantage and came up with 3 points

Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    the Saffa trys were scored when they (Wallabies) had a full compliment of personnel..hmm..
    The only yarpie try came from a Lauchie Turner drop, I'm sure Turner was kicking himself as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

The only yarpie try came from a Lauchie Turner drop, I'm sure Turner was kicking himself as well
    Turner drop, followed by a headbutt. A comedically failed attempt to gather the ball, but hardly evidence of the supremacy of the Boks running rugby.

vCash
    All im hearing here is a whole lot of whingeing and criticising...The Wallabies lost..!! and THATS THAT...!!!! Whinge Whinge Whinge.... Worse than the Bloody POMS.....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post
    All im hearing here is a whole lot of whingeing and criticising...The Wallabies lost..!! and THATS THAT...!!!! Whinge Whinge Whinge.... Worse than the Bloody POMS.....
    Better get the South African hospital staff fully prepped. Gonna have a lot of people falling off their egos and coming in after the next few weeks. Worse than the bloody Kiwis.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Better get the South African hospital staff fully prepped. Gonna have a lot of people falling off their egos and coming in after the next few weeks. Worse than the bloody Kiwis.
    They only sing when they're winning

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    They only sing when they're winning
    "Ingerland!!! Inger...."

oops, that's a different team who choked on their own hubris.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    If we fix the line-out, increase the intensity at the breakdown and kick a little better the game is ours. I think what we saw is pretty much all the Boks have got, besides trying to fix their scrum, and if I'm right our destiny is in our own hands. I'm not saying the Boks are not good, on the contrary, but I'm just saying we have more scope for improvement.

Remember we are still building a relatively young side.

I agree about the commentary, it's pretty shameless....

Oh, and we have to stop winging about the ref, on and off the field....it is part of rugby life that some decisions go against us and some for us!

Just happy to be here

Apprentice
    vCash
    We got fairly and squarely rogered. The wallabies let them selves down and the ref was OK. Dean's honey moon is over and he needs to stop with all the positives only PC drivel and let us know how shit they played and get stuck into the premedonas.

Areas of disgrace;

1.Line out was, you can't win a game when you loose 8-9 of your own lineouts. There is noway moore and TPN are ever going to be good enough throwers if they are'nt yet. Get someone in the pack to throw who is coordinated - Robinson, Smith, brown, pockock ect , there is no need for the hooker to throw!

2. Not competing against the SA lineout half the time is admitting defeat, unaceptable tactic.

3. Kicking the ball away without at least one but preferably 2-3 chasers is stupidity as you are again(ala lineout) conceding unpressurised ball

4. Discipline was a joke and good riddance(from force) gits with that high shot, imagine if Bakkies did it to him we would'nt hear the end of it

5. Selections where shite: Burgess should never have got a game after the AB's- back to club rugby, Genia starts and Valentine back up.
    Baxter has been a liability for 5 years, wallabies are better off without him.
    Palu is unmotivated and should feel disgraced and hand in his boots, surely there is another 8 out there?
    Barnes is clearly a better 5/8 and leader than gits and they should swap positions now.

6 The south africans have shown NZ and WAllabies for along time there ball strip tackle, and both teams haven't even atempted to neutralise this,are they even practising 2-3 hours a week of holding onto the ball?, pathetic - mortloack was stripped 3 times, wake up!

The forwards need to take a blood oath before sydney too only beable to crawl off the ground, leave nothing behind, they sem not tofire as a unit. Maybee Rocky is the next captain?

Anyway the scrum was awsome with Baxter off and as an exgrunt gave me something positive to take to bed!

vCash
    Brown to 8 Rocky to 6
    it was gut wrenching to watch - more so the style or lack of that Boks won by.

Agree the lack of discipline is an issue and probably resulted in many of the errors we saw and upsetting the ref never wins matches.

Really really want to collect some pints from the Bokkas though there endemic in this part of Perth.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast