Thread: Neddies on Top in Tight Tussle

vCash

Neddies on Top in Tight Tussle

Two late tries allowed Nedlands to tough out a tight, see-saw match over Cottesloe 32-22 at Sir Charles Court Reserve today, sealing their place in the top four of the WA club rugby competition, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

The two teams were neck and neck throughout but Neddies had the better of a disjointed second half and came good with two tries late in the piece -- one with the help of a dash of good luck -- to wrap up the game. The loss dropped Cottesloe back to third place with the finals three weeks away.

In the first half, Cottesloe bossed the scrums while Nedlands made errors and committed offences, but were also more inventive in attack and led 22-15 at the break.

Cotttesloe raced into action from the opening whistle and three minutes in, flanker Karl Leary charged over for a try after a series of rucks close to Nedlands' line.

The conversion missed and Neddies worked back downfield where inside centre Mike Denton kicked a handy penalty for coming in the side of a ruck after seven minutes.

Neddies stayed on attack and halfback Nathan Roberts scampered over for a try on the blind side of a ruck after 11 minutes of frenetic action to lead 8-5.

Nedlands started to dominate territory but Cott overpowered their scrum, kicked downfield and Dave Cloete booted an angled penalty goal for offside after 21 minutes.

Two minutes later Neddies knocked on at the base of a ruck and Cottesloe sprang into action, lock Matt Battishall powering over in the midfield for a try under the bar. Cloete converted from point blank range and the Seagulls took the lead 15-8.

Nedlands worked onto attack and from a penalty lineout, lock James Cullimore picked the ball out of a ruck and strode over for a try that caught the Seagulls defence off guard. Denton converted the difficult goal and it was all square at 15-15 after 36 minutes of non-stop action.

Then from the kick off, Cottesloe were hard on attack in the home side's 22 when Nedlands flyhalf Cameron Sinden intercepted and sprinted up to half way. He kicked for the corner before being tackled and centre Zane Houia caught the ball on the half volley out wide and dived in for the try. Denton converted and Neddies took the 22-15 lead into the break.

Nedlands started the second spell strongly but from a free kick, Cottesloe worked up with a series of rucks and Cloete cut through slow defence in close on the 22 to score between the posts, and converted the sitter to restore the draw 22-22 after nine minutes.

Neddies wing Harry Cogin almost scored in the corner from the kick off but he was tackled just short. Neddies stayed on attack, hammering Cott's line with heavy forward drives but conceded a free kick and the visitors kicked clear.

The two teams battled on in a largely even contest as the second half slowed with injury interruptions, substitutions and a dog on the field, Cloete steering a moderate penalty chance wide after 25 minutes.

The game remained on a knife edge until 51 minutes in when Neddies won a penalty on half way and attacked up the middle. From a ruck on the 22 the ball went left and the forwards charged up, prop TJ Asiata claiming the try in the corner.

The conversion missed but the home side took a vital 27-22 lead with seven minutes to play. Good fortune put on the Royal Blue jumper minutes later when Cottesloe grubber-kicked ahead but the ball rebounded off Neddies' shins and reserve Joe Egan chased hard, dribbled ahead and fell on the ball in goal for the try and a sudden ten point lead at 32-22.

Cottesloe conceded penalties and made errors as they desperately tried to make up lost ground while Neddies kicked long and kept them at distance. But Cottesloe broke out and spent the last five minutes hammering Neddies' line, but made too many errors while Nedlands defended strongly to wrap up the game.

In other games, Kalamunda defeated University 40-32 at McGillivray Oval, second-placed Wanneroo made hard work of their 31-26 win over wooden spooners Wests-Subiaco at Kingsway, Rockingham added to Perth-Bayswater's woes with a 30-16 win at Lark Hill while Palmyra regained the competition lead when they narrowly outpointed fifth-placed Associates 29-23 at Tompkins Park.

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,56161.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Well, Pally narrowly out pointed Soaks into oblivion for the season, despite the ordinary efforts of Force second rower Tom Hocking in his first game of the season for Soaks (was it really me rushing to Soaks defence when Uni brought on Pocock against them last week? silly me).

As pathetic pretenders to a spot in the finals as they are, Palmyra will be there, and others won't.

There was a lot of chicken counting after last week, in what passes for the press in WA, and at RugbyWA, and a lot of pre-emptive gloating, and the end result was egg on a lot of faces.

vCash
    Baysies premiers did not give me anything good to post about so I would rather just stay quite
    Reserve grade won there second game of the season 3rds had a bye weekend 4ths won, 20's had a bye, 18's won and almost all the junior teams won there games as well, so there is some hope for the future

Last edited by pieter blackie; 02-08-09 at 11:00.

vCash
    Kala put 40 points on uni in the second half, unbelievable.

You mad uni? irate even?

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Well, Pally narrowly out pointed Soaks into oblivion for the season, despite the ordinary efforts of Force second rower Tom Hocking in his first game of the season for Soaks (was it really me rushing to Soaks defence when Uni brought on Pocock against them last week? silly me).

As pathetic pretenders to a spot in the finals as they are, Palmyra will be there, and others won't.

There was a lot of chicken counting after last week, in what passes for the press in WA, and at RugbyWA, and a lot of pre-emptive gloating, and the end result was egg on a lot of faces.
    It's like you go looking for things to be outraged about, Frank. And if you can't find them, you imagine them.

Have a Bex, a cup of tea and a nice lie down, there's a good fellow.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Of course, you're right again, Rick, and I am wrong, as you usually are.

I do tend to perceive subtleties in your prose which I should realize you are incapable of.

vCash
    them fighting words