Thread: Head Turner: Force teenager a Super 14 star in the making

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Head Turner: Force teenager a Super 14 star in the making

Josh Rakic | July 26, 2009

A Perth teenager rated a future star by Western Force coach John Mitchell has paid his own way to Sydney to fast-track his development as a player.

Nineteen-year-old halfback Justin Turner was signed by Northern Suburbs last month for the remainder of the Shute Shield competition to gain a bit of exposure and get some first-grade experience.

Turner is on the comeback trail after being forced to miss most of the Force's Super 14 campaign because of back fractures. The South African-born, Perth-raised teenager was set to make his Super 14 debut from the bench for the Force's season-opener against the Blues before being ruled out for two months.

Turner is rated a future superstar by Mitchell, a former Kiwi international, who is desperately trying to get his signature before he's headhunted by Waratahs and Brumbies scouts.

And despite being 82kilograms, Turner is yet to fill out his lanky frame, meaning he can only get bigger - and better. But Turner, who stands 180centimetres, has quickly found his feet at his new Sydney club.

"His passes, especially off the deck, are probably some of the best we've seen at this club in a long time," Norths co-coach Grahame O'Donnell said.

"He's impressed a lot of people. He's only 19 and he's played all his junior football in Perth, which isn't as strong as the Sydney comp. He's only slight, too, so it says a lot that the Force were willing to throw him in Super 14 this year.

"He scoots well and he's quick, he just needs to develop a bit more physically because he's a bit leaner than your average halfback. But that'll come."

Although stuck behind gun halfback Steve Evans, Turner's form in second grade has been too good to ignore, with O'Donnell utilising the speedster off the bench.

A coach who has overseen the club careers of Wallabies Sam Norton-Knight and Kurtley Beale, O'Donnell has no doubt Turner is a Super 14 star in the making.

"Last week he was up against [Randwick's] Patrick Phibbs and Josh Valentine, and he didn't look out of place one bit," O'Donnell said. "He came [to Sydney] of his own accord to give it a shot, and it's not hard to tell he's going to make it.

"We've got some Super 14 players at the club, and I definitely think Justin is up to their standard and good enough to be a full-time Super 14 player. Once he builds his frame out a bit, he could be anything - because every other part of his game is outstanding.

"He's an old-fashioned kind of halfback - just smart and plain gutsy. Nothing scares him."

Turner packed his bags and left family and friends to bunk with his uncle in Newport for the winter. While the Force have made no secret of their intention to retain him, he hasn't ruled out courting other offers.

"I came here because I wanted to gain a bit of exposure and get some first-grade experience against Super 14 players," he said. "The club footy in Perth isn't of the highest standard, so I wanted to get a higher level of rugby under of my belt.
    "I'm off-contract at the moment but the Force have guaranteed me an offer for next year, which should be sorted out soon hopefully.

"My manager's having a look around at some other things, too. I know how quickly things can change. I was named on the bench this year for the very first game of the season but then I buggered my back and was out for two months."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...457701999.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    mmm...interesting ...he is not seen by some at the Force as the Answer

vCash
    I went to the Uni vs Norths game yesterday at North Sydney oval... 11 tries to nil result for UNI... Norths were very average but their 9 played OK...

vCash
    Great to hear that he is actually playing again - spent most of this season out with a back injury.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    stress fracture
    know it well

vCash
    The stress or the fracture ????

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar