Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Sign Inman, McCalman & Swanepoel

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Western Force Sign Inman, McCalman & Swanepoel

The Emirates Western Force has secured the services of three of Australian rugby’s outstanding prospects, with Mitchell Inman joining Ben McCalman and Mark Swanepoel in committing to the club.

Inman and McCalman have both signed two year deals, while Swanepoel has a one-year rookie contract.

Inman, who represented Australia at Under 19’s level in 2007, has recently been plying his trade with the Sydney University club after two years in the Australian Sevens program.

He also represented the Waratahs in their 2009 trial game against the Reds, in which he scored a try, and on their development tour of Fiji in October 2008.

After leaving his country of birth, South Africa, Swanepoel became a New Zealand citizen during the five years his family spent in the Shakey Isles before moving to the Gold Coast at the age of 11.

Swanepoel travelled to Japan with the Australian Under 20’s squad which ultimately finished fourth.

He joined the club in February of 2009 on a short-term contract after injury scares to Josh Valentine and Justin Turner, and recently made the move more permanent.

McCalman represented Australia from Schoolboys to Under 20’s level over the last four years, and has had his talents compared to current Wallabies Number 8, Richard Brown. The 21-year-old was a member of the Waratahs Academy in 2009.

McCalman and Inman are already well-acquainted, having been AIS Rugby Scholarship holders in 2007 and playing in a Premiership side together at Sydney University in 2008.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy said the three recruits would compliment the existing members of the senior squad.

“We see Ben as a similar type to Browny and Tamaiti Horua. He’s an aggressive, abrasive type of backrower which suits our game,” Hardy said.

“Mark and Mitch both have plenty of potential, and we expect to see them press their claims for selection during the 2010 season.”

“We will have competition for places in the squad across the board next season, which is exactly what we want,” he said.

Inman, an outside centre, said the decision to come to WA was not a difficult one.

“I watched the club’s first game in Super 14 (against the Brumbies in 2006) when I was in Year 12 at school, and I thought the Force were a pretty good side,” Inman said.

“If I had a choice of Super 14 sides, it was always the Force I wanted to play for since I was at school. I really liked the way they played, and thought it would be a good challenge.”

Inman said the idea of teaming with Ryan Cross was also a factor in his decision.

“My brothers Luke and Dane went to Waverly College with Ryan, and I have spoken to him a few times about making the move. They spoke very highly of him; he was a star player at school. He’s a strong player and I’m looking forward to playing alongside him.”

FACT FILES

Mitchell Inman
    Position: Centre
    Physical: 191cm, 102kg
    Super Caps: 0
    Representative Honours: Australian Under 19’s (2007), Australian Sevens (2007-08)

Ben McCalman
    Position: Number 8/Flanker
    Physical: 192cm, 105kg
    Representative Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2005-06), Australian Under 19’s (2007), Australian Under 20’s (2008)

Mark Swanepoel
    Position: Scrumhalf
    Physical: 181cm, 93kg
    Representative Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2007-08), Australian Under 20’s (2009)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Force secure highly-rated trio

Force secure highly-rated trio
    15th July 2009, 9:30 WST

Western Force have secured the services of three of Australian rugby’s outstanding prospects, with Mitchell Inman joining Ben McCalman and Mark Swanepoel in joining the club.

Inman and McCalman have both signed two year deals, while Swanepoel has a one-year rookie contract.

Inman, who represented Australia at Under 19’s level in 2007, has recently been with Sydney University club after two years in the Australian Sevens program.

He also represented the Waratahs in their 2009 trial game against the Reds, in which he scored a try, and on their development tour of Fiji in October 2008.

Born in South Africa, Swanepoel became a New Zealand citizen after his family moved there before heading to the Gold Coast at the age of 11.

Swanepoel went to Japan with the Australian Under 20’s squad which ultimately finished fourth.

He joined the Force in February of 2009 on a short-term contract after injury scares to Josh Valentine and Justin Turner and recently made the move more permanent.

McCalman represented Australia from Schoolboys to Under 20’s level over the last four years and has had his talents compared to current Wallabies No.8 Richard Brown. The 21-year-old was a member of the Waratahs Academy in 2009.

PERTH

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    so that means we have Sheehan and Swanepoel at 9, is O'Young hanging around or going elsewhere?

vCash
    I'd say we have Sheehan and O'Connor. I wouldn;t be suprosed if that were to change to O'Connor then Sheehan during the season either. Swanepoel is only on a 12 month rookie contract.

vCash
    Given our history with scrum halfs 3 healthy ones would seem to be the go

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'd say we have Sheehan and O'Connor. I wouldn;t be suprosed if that were to change to O'Connor then Sheehan during the season either. Swanepoel is only on a 12 month rookie contract.
    Justin Turner is that academy kid I have heard about is he not? How's he comming along? He was injured at the start of the year wasn't he?

vCash
    He is still listed as an academy player on the RugbyWA website - anyone seen him in club action this season?

I'd have thought we'd have heard about it if he was offered rookie contract.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Justin Turner had a rookie contract but a back stress fractures (not as bad as it sounds) kept him off the field for the first 8 weeks and there weren't any injuries to Valentine or O'Young. This year it would seem we have both Sheehan and O'Young (unless O'Young has been released he was contracted until 2010). As well as possibily Turner and Swanepoel. I think Sheehan only signed a 1 year contract so it kind of ensures that we will still have at least two or three of them come 2011.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sheehan is only contracted for next season at this stage.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I thought it was two - has something changed since http://www.rugbywa.com.au/news/2009/...section/50753?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All good news, building a kick arse young side to come up through the ranks now.
    These are young men who have it all ahead of them and will really make the organisation a "club" rather than a franchise.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    So correct me if I am wrong but we are still looking for at least one if not two Hookers?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Speak for yourself Ex

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Let me re-phrase that for the cheap seats

I am of the belief that the Western Force Senior team have a requirement for 2 playing personal that would wear the Number 2 on their Jersey. So they have an ability to pack in the middle of the scrum and Hook the ball back with the heel of the foot and to also thow in a ball for the Line Out.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast