Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australian Schools Championship

vCash

Australian Schools Championship

Day 1 Australian School Championship

A visit by the Qantas Wallabies highlighted an entertaining first day’s competition at the Australian Schoolboys Championship at Knox College in Sydney.

The Wallabies trained in the morning in front of an enthralled audience of representative schoolboys from across Australia before the young players themselves hit the field in the afternoon to try and replicate their heroes.

In the opening non-competition match NSW II defeated Combined States, a selection of the best players from Western Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia, 47 – 10 with Prariewood High School’s Josh Tanuvassa crossing for two tries.

In the second match, a powerful Queensland I line up, featuring Wallabies scrumhalf Will Genia’s younger brother, Nigel, defeated ACT 69 – 7, after leading 38-0 at half time.

Southport School’s Simon Morahan and Chris Sautia from Brisbane State High Scholl both crossed for doubles for the young Maroons while for ACT St Edmunds College’s Jake Holland hit the line at pace and was rewarded with the side’s only try.

In the hard fought final match of the day NSW I overcame stern resistance from Queensland II with Damien Cooke from Illawarra Sports High School scoring two tries and landing a conversion and Tom Kingston from St Aloysius also scoring two five-pointers.

In tomorrow’s matches, also at Knox College in Wahroonga, Queensland II meet Queensland I at 11am followed by NSW 1 vs Combined States at 1pm and NSW II meeting ACT in what should be a tight contest at 3pm.

Australian Schoolboys Championships

Results Day 1

Game 1 – non Comp

NSW II 47 (Zack Fell, Nick Curtis, John Tanuvassa 2, Tyson Frizell tries, Lim Walker try, 4 Con, 3 Pen) defeated Combined States 10 (Ray Buchannan, Keith Wicks tries)

Game 2 – Pool B

Queensland I 69 (Simon Morahan 2, Chris Sautia 2, Luke Beauchamp, James May, Jordan Turapou, Kimami Situata, Ruka Hanlon, Liam Gill tries Rohan Saifoloi 1 try, 7 Con) defeated ACT 7 (Jake Holland, Billy Chaulker Con)

Game 3 – Pool A

New South Wales I 22 (Damien Cook 2 tries 1 con, Tom Kingston 2 tries) defeated Queensland II 10 (Junior Rasolea try, Mitchell Felesman 1 con 1 PG)

Day 2

Big upset today...

For the second year in a row Combined States pulled off a major upset at the Australian Schools Championship when they defeated the might of NSW Schoolboy Rugby 20-15 at Knox College on Sydney’s North Shore today.

Combined States are made up of the best young schoolboy players from the lesser known Rugby states and territories – Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania and the Northern Territory - but on the day they were too good for the elite of the GPS, CHS and CAS competitions.

Aquinas College and Canning Vale SHS in Western Australia are hardly household names in schoolboy Rugby but their students scored the points that overcame the best that famed Rugby nurseries like Scots, Kings and Joeys could put on the park.

Flanker Jack de Guingand, from Victorian Schools’ powerhouse St Kevin’s College, and Nathan Oakley from Canning Vale scored tries for Combined States while Aquinas flyhalf Kyle Godwin was accurate with the boot landing two conversions and the same number of penalty goals.

For NSW I, Kings School winger Scott Ferris and Scots College fullback Jacob Woodhouse notched five pointers while Marcus Heather from Endeavour Sports High School put over one conversion and a penalty goal.

The young sky blues had their chances late in the game but poor decisions and resilient defence from Combined States saw the outsiders hold on

NSW I must now rely on Queensland II beating Combined States on Saturday if they are to play in next Monday’s final, while Combined States are now more than realistic final contenders from Pool A.

In the day’s other games last year’s winners Queensland I warmed up for the crucial Pool B clash with NSW II on Saturday with a comfortable 47-7 victory over Queensland II in the non-competition match.

St Joseph’s Nudgee College winger Kimani Situata marked himself as a star of the future racing over for a quartet of tries for Queensland I while St Peters winger George Moresu was Queensland II’s lone tryscorer.

NSW II also kept themselves in the hunt for a finals berth with a gritty 15-7 victory over ACT with St Dominic’s College outside centre Tevita Felikitau-Fetuani crossing for a try along with Kiama High School fullback Ethan Ford.

The ACT’s points were all scored by one school – Erindale College, with a try to hooker Trent Hoscher and a conversion from fullback Brendan Taueki. But with two losses from two games the young Brumbies hopes of a final place are over.

There is a rest day tomorrow, when the young players will receive career and vocational guidance from expert tutors, before Day 3’s competition at Knox College on Saturday.

Australian Schools Championship Day 2
    Results

Game 4

Queensland I 47 (Kimumi Situata 4, Simon Morahan, Chris Sautia, Joel Turaga tries, Cayden Matheaere 6 con) defeated Queensland II 7 (George Morseu try, Dion Taumata con)

Game 5

Combined States 20 (Jack De Guingand, Nathan Oakley tries, Kyle Godwin 2 con 2 PG) defeated New South Wales I 15 (Scott Ferris, Jacob Woodhouse tries, Marcus Heather 1 con, 1 PG)

Game 6

New South Wales II 15 (Tevita Felikitau-Fetuani, Ethan Ford tries, Liam Walker con, PG) defeated ACT 7 (Trent Hoscher try, Brendan Taueki con)

POOL TABLES AFTER DAY 2

POOL A

NSW I – 6

Combined States – 4

Queensland II – 0

POOL B

Queensland I - 5

NSW II - 4

ACT – 0

Draw for Day 3 - Saturday July 11

Knox College, Pacific Highway, Wahroonga

11:00 am NSW I v ACT (Non-competition)

1:00 pm Queensland II v Combined States

3:00 pm Queensland I v NSW II[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TOCC; 09-07-09 at 19:36.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done guys!

vCash
    QLD look set to continue there recent domination of the schoolboys series, theres some real future stars in the QLD side

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That effort for the Combined states team is great news. Great to see a successful team half made up of WA players. Another large step toward sustainability for the Force. Congrats to QLD too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Apprentice
    vCash
    What a fantastic result for the Comb. States side beating NSW1. I watched the Div2 games in Geelong and was impressed by the improved standard by most of the competing teams. The CS side now performing in Sydney I hope goes to show the selectors should not be so "one eyed on the eastern states QLD and NSW" and there are some gems elsewhere. It should NOT rely just on the school that one attends to gain a place in rep sides but on pure ability and performance.

Player
    vCash
    The prospect of Combined States getting into the National Schoolboys Final consisting of 11 WA Schoolboys could be the beginnings of the WA juniors base baring fruit. If only 2 or 3 of those boys go on to play in the Force ranks that's a pretty good return. Considering once you produce one batch of quality player's it gets easier to do so time and time again.

Queensland has a wealth of talent at the moment. They just need to keep it. You can guarantee that the Brumbies, Force and Waratah scouts will be watching them intensely.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fantastic effort by the CS Pigs!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Even more good news for CS, the boys won today against QLD2 17-15 and are through to the final....
    http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/d....asp?id=150704

Well done on achieving such a fantastic result....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well done guys!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Well done guys!!
    Ditto.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    WHOOO HOOOO!!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    A Quote from the Sportal Forum -

Combined States 17-15 QLD 2

This game would decide who met QLD 1 in the final with QLD having to draw or win for NSW 1 to go through. Was quite a tight contest, Combined States eventually getting the win, an impressive display from the 10, great kicking game. QLD did manage to score in the last play with a conversion attempt from the sideline which had it been successful would of put NSW 1 into the final, but it fell well short. These more impressive displays from Combined states makes it seem like they played their weaker players in the first game against nsw 2 and just didnt care with it being a non competition game. However i think QLD 1 will be all over them in the final.

Also many congratulatory posts on the web site for the WA and Vic boys of th CS side

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The 10 Kyle Godwin is ours. Which is great because he's got big wraps in the last two games. Fingers crossed he can make the nationals schoolboys side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Game 1 – non Comp

NSW II 47 (Zack Fell, Nick Curtis, John Tanuvassa 2, Tyson Frizell tries, Lim Walker try, 4 Con, 3 Pen) defeated Combined States 10 (Ray Buchannan, Keith Wicks tries)
    I assume by "non comp" they mean this is a non-competition game? If so why?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I am 99.9% for the CS boys, fantastic effort.
    My 0.1% is the permutations that the Queensland kicker may have gone through thinking, "hmm, if I miss this those poofter bluebaggers won't make the Final!"

Last edited by Burgs; 12-07-09 at 11:59. Reason: Showzen Maths
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast