Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RUPA CEO Tony Dempsey announces investigation into Tuqiri sacking

vCash

RUPA CEO Tony Dempsey announces investigation into Tuqiri sacking

RUPA CEO Tony Dempsey announces investigation into Tuqiri sacking

By Ed Jackson

July 08, 2009

Player concerns have forced the Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) to launch an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri's sacking.

RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey says several senior Wallaby players, including captain Stirling Mortlock, were concerned by Tuqiri's sacking and want answers as to why his contract with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) was terminated.

Dempsey said the association had received sufficient evidence to raise concerns over whether the ARU's and New South Wales Rugby Union's conduct was a breach of the collective bargaining agreement those unions hold with RUPA.

"I have spoken to the captain of the Wallabies and many from the Wallabies team and they have genuine concerns about the manner in which Lote's sacking has been handled by the ARU and NSWRU," Dempsey said on Wednesday.

"An 'iron curtain' has descended on relations between the players and senior management of the ARU. Players feel fearful and intimidated of the ARU. We need to restore trust and credibility with the game's administrators."

Dempsey wouldn't reveal what evidence RUPA had been made aware of but denied he knew the full story behind Tuqiri's sacking.

He said the association had contacted the ARU to make them aware of the investigation but had been unable to speak to ARU chief executive John O'Neill.

Dempsey said he was not sure if the sacking related to a personal vendetta against Tuqiri but he hoped that wasn't the case.

The investigation will be headed up by a yet-to-be-named "high-profile" retired judge with Dempsey saying any evidence of a breach in the collective bargaining agreement would result in legal action by RUPA against the ARU.

Dempsey said he had no fears about such a move damaging relations between the players' association and the sport's governing body, claiming the lack of contact before Tuqiri's sacking highlighted an already poor relationship.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If the players want to know, surely all they have to do is ask Lote. If he isn't telling them...??

vCash
    Wonder if the results will go public? The players should be told. Lote's done something pretty bad, even for his standards if he's not telling his ex-teammates.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The RUPA want answers, I wonder if Lote wants to give them...

Last edited by Burgs; 08-07-09 at 12:17.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It’s evidently not clear cut... Lote is doing the right thing by not making it any easier for the ARU. The ARU have failed to communicate the event to the group and the RUPA… This will test the RUPA’s resolve. JON is saying nothing to simplify his response and avoid making the situation any thornier for himself… If Lote has been sacked as an example, what he has done should be disclosed privately to the squad… It doesn't have to go public the ARU could ask players to sign a Non discloser agreement at the briefing door on Lotegate... I believe The ARU aren't looking after Lote's best interests or protecting him from the media.

Lote will do better than the 600K shut up and piss off offer from the ARU…

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't really give two hoots about Lote, all I'm glad of is that he's not one of ours as if he was The Force would have been crucified.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I don't really give two hoots about Lote, all I'm glad of is that he's not one of ours as if he was The Force would have been crucified.
    JON didn't give Matty Henjak much space...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I've got to disagree. Lote is a member of the playing group and RUPA. If they want to know what has happened, they should ask him. If he doesn't want to tell them, it is not the ARU's place to spill the beans.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Arrgh 10 days till the journalists stop reprinting rubbish quotes and we can get back to the stories that really matter like you know the Wallabies campaign of winning the Tri Nations and Bledisloe back. Can’t come quick enough for me.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I'm not sure of the legal situation in Australia, but if Lote's taking the ARU to court and neither side can speak to the press (which is what appears to be the case), then what do RUPA hope to achieve?

If Lote discloses any information to RUPA he'll be in contempt of court and certainly won't win any case before a judge. Maybe he's trying to lay the groundwork for backing out of the court case.

But I'm with SGR - enough of Lote, lets talk on a rugby site about rugby players!

vCash
    unfortunately the timing of this sacking at the start of a 3 week void in Rugby doesn't help, at least in terms of media speculation
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    The RUPA want answers, I wonder if Lote wants to give them...
    I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. I find it hard to believe Sterlo & RUPA would bet asking for an investigation without consulting Tuqiri and his advisors. I always felt maybe something was not quite ringing true with this one and this only adds to that. George Smith openly questioned it from the start and he normally does not say a lot in the press.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. I find it hard to believe Sterlo & RUPA would bet asking for an investigation without consulting Tuqiri and his advisors. I always felt maybe something was not quite ringing true with this one and this only adds to that. George Smith openly questioned it from the start and he normally does not say a lot in the press.
    Yeah but you have to remember that Smith and Mortlock are good friends with Tuqiri. Despite the respectable positions they occupy in the team as captain and vice-captain, they are heavily biased toward Tuqiri.

Suppose just for a second that the rumour Tuqiri had brought a non-wife girl back to his hotel room. That is where the rules get blurred because its not legally wrong but it would bring the game into disrepute- especially so in the environment set by rugby league. We know for a fact that Tuqiri is not a well-behaved person. Perhaps Mortlock and co are reacting to a situation that on the whole is not a terrible indiscretion by the standards of a player, particularly those like Mortlock who believe guidelines are too strict (as he indicated a couple of years back with his late night drinking), but to management its the straw that breaks the camels back and it shows that Tuqiri still holds himself above the rules that he is contractually obliged to abide by.

I think the telling sign in all this is the acceptance of the situation by the NSWRU. They've essentially lost their biggest draw card at a time when they are already struggling financially and could do without the loss. Either JO'N has them completely whipped into shape (which I find very unlikely even for the Tahs board) or they fully accept that he has well and truly crossed the line.

I prefer the Ethicists bogan story of events personally.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I prefer the Ethicists bogan story of events personally.
    I'd prefer the incident is judged on it's merits and, if applicable, taking 2 years of good behaviour since the RWC curfew. Well see what the invetigation finds.

I don't take anything Rex Messup says at face value.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    It’s evidently not clear cut... Lote is doing the right thing by not making it any easier for the ARU. The ARU have failed to communicate the event to the group and the RUPA… This will test the RUPA’s resolve. JON is saying nothing to simplify his response and avoid making the situation any thornier for himself… If Lote has been sacked as an example, what he has done should be disclosed privately to the squad… It doesn't have to go public the ARU could ask players to sign a Non discloser agreement at the briefing door on Lotegate... I believe The ARU aren't looking after Lote's best interests or protecting him from the media.

Lote will do better than the 600K shut up and piss off offer from the ARU…
    Of course they arent looking after Lote's best interest, they tore his bloody contract up!

ARU have legal binding not to say anything, firstly the ARU can get sued for defamation of character if they go reporting on something which is still been investigated by the police and adversely not yet proven true.

They are only rumours that i have heard so far from a couple of different sources, but if the rumour that Lote was involved in bringing a potentially drugged women(not drugged by him) back to his room prove true, then there is enough reason for him to be sacked.

As for passing it quietly onto members of the squad? what a load of shit, the fact that some of these members in the squad could be involved in a police interview or later brought into the court case prevents this from happening as well. Its none of there buisness, what do they need to know for? Players are uncertain about there contracts? well dont go fucking up!

George Smith and Stirling are practically obliged to say something, they are the captain and vice-captain of the team and need to be seen standing up for the players, regardless of whether they think it was right or wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast