Thread: SHEEHAN WANTS TO MAKE IMPACT WITH FORCE

vCash

SHEEHAN WANTS TO MAKE IMPACT WITH FORCE

Brett Sheehan is reinvigorated at getting out of Sydney to come to Perth and out from behind Luke Burgess as he targets the starting role at scrumhalf for the Emirates Western Force.

Sheehan was born in Geraldton, north of Perth, so has West Australian blood in him despite living in Sydney most of his life and after an NRL career with three clubs, joined the Queensland Reds in 2005 and has been with the Waratahs since 2006.

While he earned 44 (and four with the Reds) caps, he was always in a fierce battle with the likes of Burgess and Josh Valentine for a pot in the NSW team, and the prospect of starting regularly for the Force and change of lifestyle were behind his signing with the Perth-based franchise.

"It was rugby and a personal decision. Rugby-wise I was looking for a starting position," Sheehan said.

"It was good fighting it out with Luke, but you want to be playing and starting each week, and I felt that Perth could give me a good chance of doing that. Personally, I was just looking for a change after being in Sydney my whole life, so I felt it was time to experience something new."

While Chris O'Young is still at the Force keeping pressure on Sheehan to perform, the soon-to-be 30-year-old is looking forward to that new battle, and coming up against the Waratahs next season.

"It's still not definite that I've got the starting spot because Chris O'Young is a great footballer and it's always good to have competition," he said.

"It was frustrating at times with Luke, but that's selection and how it goes. You just have to deal with it and when you do get on the field make the most of the opportunity."

The Josh Valentine-Matt Giteau combination at halfback and flyhalf developed well in 2009 and they will take it with them to the Brumbies, but now the Force has Sheehan and South African Andre Pretorius.

It looms as being just as potent, and Sheehan is excited to play with the 2007 World Cup winner.

"It's a great signing for the Force because he's an experienced player and his form with the Lions showed that he's still a great, brilliant player," he said.

"From a backline point of view, he will control and direct things very well and I'm excited to play with him. We are both experienced enough players to be able to form a good combination that will be good for the team."

Sheehan was always looking to leave the Waratahs at the end of last season with Burgess again earning most of the game time, but it was a close call between remaining in Australia and heading to Europe.

However, the strong team the Force is putting together and the chance to help the club to the finals for the first time all helped Sheehan choose the Emirates Western Force.

"I'm extremely excited about getting to Perth. It's a change that I've been looking for since my contract came up," he said.

"I was looking at going to Europe or another Super 14 team that took me out of Sydney for a while. I've been there six years now with the Waratahs and I'm exciting about moving to Perth."

Sheehan missed out on selection in the upcoming Tri-Nations squad, but is hoping good rugby for the Force in 2010 will see him back in the calculations of Robbie Deans.

"It's always disappointing missing out on the squad, but that's out of our control and it's other people's choice as coach. I'm just looking forward to playing some good footy, getting on the park and hopefully my name gets thrown up for the Wallabies again."

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55997.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "SHEEHAN WANTS TO MAKE IMPACT WITH FORCE"

how has he been making impacts thus far?

vCash
    He seems to be OK at making Henjak-styke impacts (looks like an angry ant)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Is Chris O'Young silly enough to hang around after what the Force did to him last season?

vCash
    Does Chris O'Young think he'll get a better deal elsewhere?

My impression of him is that he's a competant player, but nothing more. He may consider a move back to the NH, but this is probably his best shot at getting the starting scrum-half role for a Super 14 side: Sheehan was back-up to Burgess, O'Young was back-up to Valentine.

If O'Young applies himself and shows more to his game for a full 80 than we've seen so far, there's no reason he couldn't beat Sheehan.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Is Chris O'Young silly enough to hang around after what the Force did to him last season?

What did they do to him?

Just happy to be here

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    What did they do to him?
    They brought in Josh Valentine and he barely got any game time. It was a bit average but O'Young was only doing the same behind Sam Pinder in Glasgow and he was in talks about coming back long before Henjak was sacked. When he did come back he didn't really make the most of his opportunity to cement himself in the 9 spot and fluctuated in form a bit.

Unless there was something I was missing.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyWA View Post
    However, the strong team the Force is putting together and the chance to help the club to the finals for the first time all helped Sheehan choose the Emirates Western Force.
    http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55997.html
    Thats right all you Force Knockers!!!!

vCash
    I hear Sheehan is looking forward to playing with Giteau at the Force next season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I hear Sheehan is looking forward to playing with Giteau at the Force next season...
    Nah, he is happier playing behind a world class fly who has a tactical kicking game.

C'mon the