Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs coach Chris Hickey fields international offers to replace Tuqiri

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey fields international offers to replace Tuqiri

By Adrian Warren
    July 06, 2009
    Overseas players, including some internationals, are queuing up to replace Lote Tuqiri at New South Wales Waratahs after his sacking by the Australian Rugby Union.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has three spots to fill on his roster for next year, with two reserved for backs and another for a second-rower.

Hickey admitted Tuqiri's sacking left a big hole in the Waratahs' squad.

While Hickey said his initial preference was to contract someone from within Australia, he thought that now might not be possible, and has already received a number of inquiries from overseas players.

"It's been a mixture. We've had some international players who have expressed an interest,'' Hickey said.

"We've also had some other players who might be just on the verge of (representing) their own country and aren't quite making it there, who sense there may be an opportunity to play with the Waratahs.

"It's mostly the southern hemisphere where the interest has come. The northern hemisphere contract dealing is basically finished, so most of the interest that we've had has come from New Zealand and South Africa.''

While Wallabies star Drew Mitchell was originally recruited as a fullback, Hickey sad he could move to the wing to replace Tuqiri while the Waratahs were still waiting to hear back from Queensland and Wallabies playmaker Berrick Barnes.

They also needed some overseas cover at lock. "Most of the good locks in Australia are contracted at the moment we've had a number of inquiries from players overseas, particularly from New Zealand and South Africa,'' he said.

While Hickey again emphasised the possibility of legal action prevented him from talking in detail about the reasons behind Tuqiri's dismissal, he backed the Australian Rugby Union's handling of the situation.

"I think the ARU has handled the whole process very professionally,'' Hickey said. NSW have announced the re-signing of three forwards, Test prop Sekope Kepu, young hooker Damien Fitzpatrick and flanker Ben Mowen.

According to Mowen, the Waratahs were "a little shocked'' by the termination of Tuqiri's contact, but had sent him messages of support.

Mowen said Tuqiri had been a huge part of the Waratahs' squad:

"He brings a lot to the team and particularly the young guys in helping them settle in.''

"I know he's played a huge role in helping (young back) Kurtley (Beale) develop his game, so he will be dearly missed.''

One former team-mate Mowen isn't missing, is flanker Rocky Elsom, who opted to sign with the Brumbies rather than the Waratahs.

Mowen said he was "not at all'' disappointed to learn Elsom had joined the Brumbies.

"I went out and had a beer, it was good,'' Mowen joked.

"He (Elsom) is obviously a great asset to have back in Australia, but as long as he's not here, it's perfect.''

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I won't miss him that's for sure. Actually this is my 998th post so I was just trying to fill up the numbers. In saying that the first point is very true, and so is the second one.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    from Hickey. Who would be queing up to play with this shower?
    Im sure Drew wont be to thrilled to play wing when he thinks he is a world class fullback( even though the world knows he is winger foremost)
    I imagine with Lote getting the lemon and sarse there maybe a bit of extra coin floating around for recruiting.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    hahaha drew cant get away from the wing!
    enjoy another 11 jersey!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd reckon they are more likely to attract a Wing than a Fullback at this late stage.

11. Lachie
    14. Ratu
    15. Drewballs

Could do a lot worse.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ratu is no where up to the standard yet, yeah he is big, but until he learns how to think like a rugby player and starts catching the ball then he going to spend a lot of time in club rugby.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How long since you have seen him TOCC?
    I haven't this year but have read a couple of pieces saying he has come on really well this season.
    He wasn't the token in the Baa Baas for nothing and sure knows how to find the try line.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I havent personally seen him in a long time, but some well credentialed contacts in sydney were watching a shambolic performance by him on the weekend just gone. Ok so he didnt play that badly, but he definetly wasnt up to S14 standards.

vCash
    They want to play there as they will never get the ball and thus never upset their hair dos.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I havent personally seen him in a long time, but some well credentialed contacts in sydney were watching a shambolic performance by him on the weekend just gone. Ok so he didnt play that badly, but he definetly wasnt up to S14 standards.
    Unfortunately he shares a little too much of Tuqiri's DNA. Needs a big lesson in positional play and choosing the right options.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Here's hoping for the Force's sake they've got Drew in on some fullback-guarentee contract. I bet he's smashing his head on a wall if he isn't, since he's in love with number 15 jerseys for some inexplicable reason. I hope for his rugby career's sake they play him at 11 though. I'm torn!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Ratu is no where up to the standard yet, yeah he is big, but until he learns how to think like a rugby player and starts catching the ball then he going to spend a lot of time in club rugby.
    And the impression I get is that his tendency for injury continues...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Here's hoping for the Force's sake they've got Drew in on some fullback-guarentee contract. I bet he's smashing his head on a wall if he isn't, since he's in love with number 15 jerseys for some inexplicable reason. I hope for his rugby career's sake they play him at 11 though. I'm torn!
    Why for the Force's sake? Why would we care what Drew does?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think she means so we can exploit him there.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Everyone wants another outside back Tahs, Force Brumbies... I guess the Reds need anything that can run without dropping the ball... Good time to be a young winger... DHP value just went up... I would think a few of the sevens boys might get a S14 rookie contract...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast