Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Knights want Timana Tahu back from rugby union

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Newcastle Knights want Timana Tahu back from rugby union

By David Riccio
    July 05, 2009 Rugby union could lose its last big-name NRL recruit as Newcastle Knights plot to bring Timana Tahu back home.
    In the same week Lote Tuqiri was sacked by the ARU, The Sunday Telegraph has reported that a 10-year friendship could bring Tahu back into the fold.
    Knights chief executive Steve Burraston is tempted to lure Tahu back to the club where he made his debut in 1999.
    A former Newcastle lower-grade coach, Burraston mentored Tahu through his junior years.
    The pair, along with Knights coach Brian Smith, who coached Tahu at Parramatta in 2005, maintain close ties.
    It's understood Tahu, who owns property in the Hunter region, has spoken to Burraston and Smith about finishing his career at the Knights.
    Burraston didn't deny the club's interest in the dual international, describing Tahu as "a natural fit".
    "I know him well, I was coaching when he first came to the club," Burraston said.
    "I know at Parramatta he enjoyed playing with Brian (Smith) there and he remains friends with him. So there's a natural fit with our club, no question.
    "He's a nice bloke and a talented footballer, so if there was a possibility to fit him under our cap it would be of interest, but at this stage we've done nothing official."
    Asked if he could rule out Tahu playing for the Knights next season, Burraston replied: "No."
    In April, Tahu ridiculed suggestions he had made an approach to join Sydney Roosters.
    His possible return to rugby league would continue rugby's failed gamble with big-name league signings.
    Tuqiri's departure meant the ARU had spent $15 million on the former Brisbane Broncos winger, Mat Rogers and Wendell Sailor only to see them leave.
    Rogers and Sailor have both successfully returned to the NRL.
    Tahu has a year to run on his $400,000-a-season contract with the ARU and New South Wales Waratahs.
    Burraston said he was in no doubt that Tahu's brilliance has been stifled since switching to the rival code.
    "It's hard to comment on, but I think he certainly received more football during a game and more opportunity to play football when he was in rugby league," Burraston said.
    "My personal opinion is that he's being wasted in rugby."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018866,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No worries, don't expect angered shock from Union supporters!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Where is Tahu? Is he injured? I haven't heard alot about him lately

vCash
    They're welcome to him.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Deans: Tahu a chance

02/07/2009 6:41 PM
    Steve Orme
    Sportal

Robbie Deans has confirmed forgotten Wallaby Timana Tahu has progressed in the queue for a Test jersey following Lote Tuqiri's axing, but says there are no guarantees the former Kangaroo will break free of the club rugby ranks this season.

Prior to Tuqiri's dumping on Wednesday night over what is believed to be a breach of the players' code of conduct, Deans repeatedly said it was a matter of if - not when - the 67-Test veteran would be back in Wallabies colours.

But the coach was more measured when asked to rate Tahu's chances of a Tri Nations call-up after he was named in an extended 30-man squad on Thursday.

"There's no guarantees around that," Deans said of Tahu's immediate selection hopes.

"He is working really hard Timana. I guess from a mathematical perspective his odds have gone up because there's one less back, but aside from that there's no guarantees."

Tahu and Tuqiri were the only members of the Wallabies squad to contest the June internationals who were overlooked for all four matches on form.

But Deans urged the Waratahs and West Harbour centre to continue to push his case for selection both on the training paddock and back in club land.

"The critical thing is that every player just keeps pulling on the reins and ensuring that when that call comes they do well," he said.

"Because there's nothing worse than not doing well when you're out there - you'd be better not to be out there."...

Rest at http://sportal.com.au/rugby-union-ne...a-chance-73325

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Why is he in the Squad then?
    Surely that spot could be filled by someone who could get the call up.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Why is he in the Squad then?
    Surely that spot could be filled by someone who could get the call up.
    yeah, but then they've have to admit to another mungo recruit who wasn't everything he was cracked up to be.

vCash
    Probably the best outcome would be to release him the minute he even whispers a desire to return to the other game.

As I've indicated several times in the past, while I rate some of these other-game-recruits, they are all seem to end up being nothing more than a distraction and bring little joy to Rugby.

Its should be obvious now that its easy for our boys to wander over to the other game and be successful, but almost impossible for their type to wander over to our side and be anywhere as successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Its should be obvious now that its easy for our boys to wander over to the other game and be successful, but almost impossible for their type to wander over to our side and be anywhere as successful.
    I sort of agree and disagree Kenya, I still think it's possible for a Leaguey to be successful in Union, it just takes the right attitude. I mean Crossy is probably doing better in Union than he did in leage at this point in his career and (although he started in Union) that surely indicates the relative complexities of the games.

C'mon the

vCash
    Part of me says good-bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Another part says he's still a nearly-Wallaby standard player who adds depth to the squad. I'd like him at the Force, although for much less than the price-tag the Waratahs are coughing up for him.

If he can earn $400,000 a year in League, good luck to the guy - he's only got a short playing career and should make the most of it.

vCash
    Just goes to show Union isn't as easy to be a star in as the mungoes like to think it is.

Good in one doesn't mean good in the other.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Spot on WRF. Tahu will be 31 come RWC time. Time to go back to mungo land were he is a proven natural player. If he has a half a clue he will see the writing on the wall and go back there. There isnt a shortage of young backs going around and without dodgy hammies playing rugby at the moment.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I mean Crossy is probably doing better in Union than he did in leage at this point in his career and (although he started in Union) that surely indicates the relative complexities of the games.
    Gigs, a statement supporting my point I would think (in any case, I being quite generalistic).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Gigs, a statement supporting my point I would think (in any case, I being quite generalistic).
    If your statement was about attitude rather than skills I agree 100%, sorry if I misunderstood.

C'mon the

vCash
    A combination of both is probably what I was thinking of but your apology is accepted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast