Thread: Lote Tuqiri broke Wallabies code

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lote Tuqiri broke Wallabies code

Bret Harris and Peter Kogoy | July 03, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE Wallabies' strict protocols on player behaviour on tour are believed to be behind the ARU's decision to terminate winger Lote Tuqiri's multi-million-dollar contract on Wednesday.

It is understood that the ARU believes Tuqiri broke team rules in the Wallabies' hotel prior to the first Test against Italy.

There has been no suggestion of any improper conduct by Tuqiri other than the breach of the protocols.

The ARU took into account Tuqiri had already been given his last warning about player misconduct before terminating his contract, which was worth at least $600,000 a year.

The Nine Network alleged last night that Tuqiri was offered a six-month payout on his contract by the ARU, but that he knocked it back.

"The matter is with my lawyers," Tuqiri told reporters camped outside his Sydney inner-west home yesterday before he left the city with his wife and two children to escape the media spotlight.

"I've got a supportive family which is really good. My wife and kids love me and I love them."

ARU chief executive John O'Neill has angrily denied he had an agenda to sack Tuqiri.

And O'Neill said he had no memory of threatening to sack former Wallabies coach John Connolly over an argument concerning Tuqiri in 2007.

O'Neill refused to reveal the reason Tuqiri had been dumped because of the threat of legal proceedings, but he did rule out any police involvement.

He bristled at the suggestion he had gone after Tuqiri.
    "That's ridiculous," O'Neill said. "That's completely untrue and anyone who suggests that should think again."

O'Neill admitted Tuqiri was on his last warning following previous breaches of the code of conduct.

"It's in the public arena that back in mid-August 2007 Lote was provided with a letter from me which indicated that due to a couple of offences at the time, he was on a warning and that further breaches would not be tolerated," O'Neill said. "That was a warning."

But O'Neill could not remember whether he threatened to sack Connolly over a dispute about Tuqiri's availability for a Test against the All Blacks in 2007 following an off-field indiscretion in Brisbane.

O'Neill activated a two-game suspension hanging over Tuqiri after he and prop Matt Dunning were involved in a late-night drinking session, that led to an alleged assault on a Brisbane taxi driver. Tuqiri and Dunning were cleared of any involvement in the assault, but they were still disciplined by the ARU.

O'Neill and Connolly are believed to have had a difference of opinion over whether a West Harbour club match should have been part of the suspension, which would have allowed him to play against the All Blacks.

"I have no recollection of that," O'Neill said. "There was a process in place that determined that Lote was stood down for two matches and fined. That's precisely what happened.

"He had a suspended sentence hanging over his head from a prior offence. That sentence was imposed on him. It was a standard no-frills decision. Two matches and a fine.

"Discussions between myself and the coach remain ... I have no recollection of that conversation."

O'Neill also denied the ARU had axed Tuqiri to save money.

Tuqiri has not been able to make the Wallabies' 22-man squad this season.
    "That wasn't part of our consideration," O'Neill said.

Rugby Union Players Association boss Tony Dempsey criticised the ARU's handling of the announcement of Tuqiri's axing.

"I had to hear it first from the media," Dempsey said. "I would have thought the ARU would have extended us the courtesy of advising us of their actions before telling the public."
    Tuqiri, Wendell Sailor and Mat Rogers were a trio of high-profile league players O'Neill recruited to rugby union in 2002-03 to promote the code and strengthen the Wallabies outside backs.

But Rogers returned to rugby league in 2006, citing personal reasons, while Sailor was banned for two years for taking cocaine before returning to the NRL with St George Illawarra Dragons.

Asked if the rugby league experiment had failed, O'Neill said: "I don't want to go down that path.

"They all played at the highest level. They all played for the Wallabies and played well. Time to move on."

Sailor said on ABC radio yesterday he was shell-shocked by Tuqiri's axing. "I suppose when you see a player wanting to take legal action against an employer, it's pretty serious," Sailor said.

"Obviously, they couldn't sort things out. I'm just dumbfounded because he's been a wonderful ambassador for rugby league and rugby union."

A leading industrial relations advocate, John Welch, yesterday described the ARU's actions as "hardly benevolent" if Tuqiri had only been given one written warning two years ago for an indiscretion.

"In all my 42 years in personnel management I've never heard of a termination of an employment contract being announced to the media via a three-line release," Welch said.

"It's unusual for a prudent employer to wash its dirty linen in public exposing itself to litigation for damages."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sacking was a bolt out of the blue but discarded Tuqiri will fight for his for his mo

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | July 3, 2009

A "shocked" Lote Tuqiri received little warning he was in the Australian Rugby Union's gun sights and that his multimillion-dollar contract with the Wallabies was about to be torn up.

The Herald has been told Tuqiri was unaware the ARU was about to get rid of him until shortly before it was announced on Wednesday night his contract had been terminated three years early for unspecified reasons.

It is believed Tuqiri, who was on his last chance with the ARU after several incidents in 2007, had been investigated for a recent breach of team protocol which may relate to behaviour within the team hotel.

However, yesterday the ARU and Tuqiri's legal representatives refused to provide detail, or confirm or deny a breach of protocol or code of conduct had occurred, because of the strong possibility the matter could end up in court.

Nonetheless, last Sunday the ARU, when announcing that James O'Connor, Quade Cooper and Josh Valentine had been fined for their involvement in a food fight in Canberra, said it was investigating other potential breaches of protocol and/or code of conduct.

Speaking outside his Sydney house yesterday, Tuqiri did not reveal why he had been sacked.

"It's a legal matter. It's with the lawyers," he said. "It's a contract dispute and we're going from there. I have a really supportive family, which is really good, and a wife and kids who love me and I love them. Thanks for your support and hopefully you'll see me playing somewhere soon."

Tuqiri's legal representative, Mark O'Brien, declined to comment on the matter yesterday.

Close friends of Tuqiri told the Herald last night he was determined "to fight for his money".

At least Tuqiri kept his Twitter followers informed, telling them at 10.36pm on Wednesday: "Thanks for the support guys. A bit shocked and surprised at the moment." Then at 10.44am yesterday: "Got a whole heap of media camped outside my place. A bit wierd [sic]!!!" followed at 2.17pm by: "Just fronted media outside!! A bit nerve-racking but got it done. Hopefully that's taken care of them."

Earlier, at a tense media conference at ARU headquarters, chief executive John O'Neill denied he was involved in a personal agenda against the Wallabies winger.

"That's ridiculous. That's completely untrue and anyone who suggests that should think again. We are not going into the reasons for the termination," O'Neill said.

"We will be making no further comment because the termination of his contract may lead to legal proceedings. I see in the newspapers this morning there is the threat of legal proceedings.

"Lote Tuqiri and his management are aware of the reasons for the termination. If they want to discuss the situation with you, we have no problem with that."

O'Neill was asked if getting rid of Tuqiri was an opportunity for the ARU to save a considerable amount of money for a player who was out of favour.

"That wasn't part of our consideration," O'Neill replied. "Clearly a decision to terminate a contract is one that requires a lot of consideration. We gave that consideration and reached the conclusion with our eyes wide open.

"It's in the public arena that back in mid-August 2007 Lote was provided with a letter from me which indicated that due to a couple of offences at the time, he was on warning, and that further breaches would not be tolerated."

O'Neill was referring to Tuqiri being stood down for two Tests after failing to attend a team medical, followed by a midnight curfew being imposed on him and Matt Dunning after an incident at their Brisbane team hotel.

The players and several others were in Dunning's hotel room until about 5.30am. A taxi driver was allegedly assaulted outside the hotel by a man who had been in the players' company. It was then that Tuqiri was tagged "Last Chance Lote".

The NSW Rugby Union was consulted on the Tuqiri issue and agreed with the decision to sack the 29-year-old player.

The Australian Rugby Union Players' Association yesterday said it was "shocked and saddened" to hear of Tuqiri's sacking.

"I was disappointed to learn through the media that one of our members' employment contracts was terminated," RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said.

"I would have thought the ARU would have extended us the courtesy of advising us of their actions before advising the general public."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!