Thread: Henderson's rugby journey heads west

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Henderson's rugby journey heads west

John-Paul Moloney, Canberra Times | July 2, 2009 - 4:56PM

Nic Henderson loves nothing more than jumping behind the wheel of his four-wheel-drive and heading out bush.

Pretty soon the long-time ACT Brumbies prop will head off on the road trip of his life across the Nullarbor Plain to join the Western Force.

The Force confirmed yesterday Henderson, 28, would join the club on a two-year contract.

"I'm going to drive over, which will be interesting," Henderson said. "I love driving out in the outback, there's nothing better. I like going for a road trip, so why not go to Perth?

"The 2004 Super 12 title winner had been outside the Brumbies match-day squad for much of this year's Super 14, sitting behind Ben Alexander, Guy Shepherdson and Salesi Ma'afu in the pecking order.

While he could potentially find himself in the same predicament in Perth, with the Force already boasting Test props Matt Dunning, Pek Cowan and New Zealander Tim Fairbrother, Henderson said he needed a change to "jump start" his career.

"I'd back myself whether I stayed here or went there, it wasn't a question of where was the easiest path," Henderson said.

"The deciding factor was motivation. Going to a new environment with new guys around you, a new coaching staff, you've got to start from scratch and really prove yourself."

Henderson said his motivation had flagged this season after playing only seven matches for the ACT this season.

"I've been at the Brumbies for seven great years.

"It's been a fantastic journey here, but the way I feel at the moment is a bit unmotivated. I thought the best thing for me was to start somewhere fresh."

While the veteran of 70 matches for the Brumbies would likely have been snapped up by a European club, he said his belief that he could still be a front-line Super rugby player and possibly add to his three Test caps made him stay in Australia.

"You read all the headlines about all the big money overseas, but it's not always all it's cracked up to be. I like the rugby we play here too and I still see myself as a top-line Super 14 player."

Henderson said he had not closed the door on a return to the ACT, as the second year of his Force contract was optional.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...127627312.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I love driving out in the outback

He can come up and plonk his big arse in a Suzuki for few weeks and handle some real bulls if he wants...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.