Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Chalk up First Points

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs up Force Chalk up First Points

A 76th minute try stole away what well may have been the Western Force's first victory. As a consolation, the Force do walk away with a bonus point for keeping the margin less that 7 points, 3 points less than they deserved, but they are off the mark! Force 25, Stormers 26

24,507 would have taken the roof off an enclosed stadium when Shepherd went over for a try just 2 minutes in. 15 minutes later Shepherd also put through a penalty stretching the Force lead to 10 - 0. It was game on and everyone got that little sniff of a possible victory. Unfortunately 2 tries in as many minutes by the Stormers brought the fact that we were playing Super14 Rugby against an established team crashing back. Half time break the Force trailed by a single point 13-14

An early Stormers try in the 2nd half was matched by a set piece Staniforth try 10 minutes later - Force 18, Stormers 21. The fresh legs of Henjak and McIssac came on at the 60 minute mark to the cheers of the crowd. 5 minutes later new comer DeBartolo was over for an inspired try with a chip up and over the Stormers defence and the sort favourable bounce you can only get at a home ground - Force 25, Stormers 21. 4 point lead, 14 minutes to play and the roar from the crowd is deafening!

The Force valiantly held off 10 minutes of concentrated Stormer attack, but alas the Stormers scored a try from a 5 metre scrum with just 4 minutes to go. Force 25, Stromers 26. A weary Western Force could do little more than hold off a renewed and agressive Stromer attack for the last 4 minutes - Final Score 25-26 to the Stormers.

On the back of their first real showing as a Force to be reckoned with against the Bulls last week - the Force have proved that they *can* play 80 minutes of Rugby at Super 14 level.

Well Done Force!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Sounds like a very exciting game and alot of fun for all who were in attendence. Well worth the price of admission.

vCash
    I felt Mitchell made some wrong substituions!!
    should have started David Pusey instead of Welborn!

And why bring on henjak at all when o'young was having a great game
    fresh legs?

Last edited by luke_the_pom; 01-04-06 at 09:55.
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

vCash
    It was a really really really good game Im so proud of the boys

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy
    It was a really really really good game Im so proud of the boys
    Totaly agree Lonzy, it's not all about winning, it's the game that counts.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Fantastic effort....it's going to happen boys!!! No doubt about it!!!! keep the Faith!

vCash
    I forgot to mention - BIG kudos to Staniforth for walking the boundary, shaking hands and signing autographs! First player I've seen do that, more should!

Scott - you're a gentleman, and a damn fine rugby player to boot

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Stanners is definately the man!!!! He is breaking the gain line every time he handles the ball and is single handedly destroying international players super 14 seasons! Theres no stopping him........ Who will he break next week?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell philosophical

Mitchell philosophical

April 01, 2006 - 2:08pm
    Story by: Sportal

Western Force head coach John Mitchell remained philosophical about his team's fortunes in its first year, but admitted to a moment of pain at going down by a point to the Stormers on Friday night.
    The Force led with four minutes to go in the match but had the game stolen from their grasp by a late Stormers try to go down 26-25.
    "Yes, it does hurt a bit," Mitchell said. "They (his players) gave everything, but I guess you look at the moments where we had choices to close out the match."
    "Probably the last eight minutes there were some choices in front of us to control the far end, and we didn't do that."
    "We played some good footy tonight, the performance was good. But there were times when we were quite soft in defence."
    The Stormers went into the match as marginal favourites but the South African side's coach said he never thought his side had the match in the bag.
    "I don't think I've been closer to a heart attack in my life," coach Kobus van der Merwe said after the game.
    "But I'm very chuffed, and I think the most important thing was that the guys played a full eighty minutes, and showed a lot of character at the end."
    "But I couldn't stay in the box for the end of the game, and watch those last few scrums."
    In a small consolation, the Western Force picked up their first point on the Super 14 ladder for finishing with seven points of the Stormers.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    i read an artical in yesterdays Sunday Times, honestly you can find some in between the adverts, and it had Mitchel portrayed as being pretty down on his players. Has anybody actually heard what he said?

Just happy to be here

vCash

My new shirt....another week?

I promised to buy a Force shirt on the first win, I had the cash ready on Friday....I was sure it was going to be the night.

Personally I thought that the Force played an excellent game against the Stormers and were very unfortunate not to have come away with the victory.

I really enjoyed it and if they continue with this form they will become a Force to be reckoned with, actually they already are.

On a negative note I thought the Stormers tactics with all those players going down with cramps in the last 10 minutes was shocking, I do not believe for a minute it was anything more than time wasting and slowing the game down when the Force has all the momentum and they should be warned. I mean how many Force players had cramps - none - so what does that tell you.

I used to go to see the Stormers play in Cape Town when I lived there for a few years and I find their tactics difficult to believe but there you are.

vCash
    G'day AJL - welcome a board!

You raise a good issue with the injuries - my exact thoughts as well. It seemed to me also that anytime the Force got momentum, a Stormer would drop. Frustrated the hell out of me...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome aboard AJL.
    Yep, totally agree re slowing down tactics, if you want to see it at it's worst watch the Tahs v Cheetahs replay!!!
    That is just a disgrace to the game, their effort there.
    I thought that unless the player was needed in a set play (ie Prop for scrum) and if he was out of harms way, the Ref was to play on. It's a sure fire way to speed up recovery from bogus injuries!
    Bit like the pretend "big hit's" on the Fullback, he soon gets up when the Ref doesn't award a penalty and the ball is being run straight back at him!!!
    Grab the shirt anyway mate and be part of the "Blue Sea" at Subiaco against the Crusaders! You may not get a chance to wear it at Home otherwise.
    How do you compare watching at Subi v watching in Cape Town mate (respective crowds, not venue)?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Do they still play injury time after the siren? The Force might have got an extra 15-20mins to score a try and get a bonus point.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    We need to find a Ref to be an advisor I think!
    We had a Member who was last year, might see if I can track them down!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast