Thread: The mind is Sharpe, the body willing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The mind is Sharpe, the body willing

June 28, 2009 - 12:30AM
    Veteran forward Nathan Sharpe says the Wallabies can break their title drought this year, writes Josh Rakic.

IN EIGHT years at the top level of the game, Wallabies stalwart Nathan Sharpe has never tasted Tri Nations success. And it's not because he's been injured or missed out on selection.

The reason is much more embarrassing. Australia haven't been in the hunt for the coveted trophy since last holding it in 2001. Indeed, it was so long ago that George Smith and Phil Waugh are the only members of a squad of 30 to have ever experienced success over South Africa and New Zealand to claim the series, which this season celebrates its 14th year.

"Yeah, it's disappointing for me and the team," the 31-year-old Wagga Wagga product said. "There have been a couple of opportunities to take it out but we haven't come up with the results, which is unfortunate.

"It's a big goal for me. I've never done it, and I know it's a big goal for the team this year. It's definitely something I'd love to achieve with this team."

And while Robbie Deans's 2009 side has been together only a month, the 75-Test veteran is confident the squad features the right mix of youth, skill, experience and raw talent to bring both the Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup - a trophy the Wallabies haven't held since 2002 - home to Australia. "It's a really exciting team and the way that Robbie's moulded us together is tremendous," the Western Force skipper said.

"The continuation from last year has been very good, too. Seamless, actually. All the guys who came back into camp, you could tell straight away there wasn't a lot of anxiety among them, everyone just picked up where they left off. And that make things a lot easier in the transition from year to year - on and off the field.

"This is definitely a team capable of winning back the trophy. We want to get that silverware. There's no doubting what our desires are, we've just got to go out and do it now. We haven't proved anything yet.

"But we've got a very athletic squad this year and there's a lot of enthusiasm. We've got some guys who are well up there with some of the best athletes Australia has produced, not just in rugby union, and it gives us a great opportunity this year to win some silverware."

A new attitude is key, Sharpe says.
    "Robbie's getting everyone to approach their football as if every game could be your last, and it's bringing the best out in all of us," he said. "It creates a great environment because everyone knows you need to put your best foot forward whenever you set foot on the park. There's a lot of competition.

"I think members in this squad are approaching their work differently this year, more consistently. But in saying that, we haven't done anything yet so it doesn't give us any right to claim this or that just yet."

And with suggestions earlier this season Deans might look to omit some of the older heads in the side, the champion lock says he feels like he has a new lease on life.
    "For me, missing some Tests on the last tour has worked as big motivation for me and I'm enjoying my football now as much as ever," Sharpe said. "I feel good, I feel fresh. I'm ready to go. I'm a spring chicken."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0628-d0ov.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He didn't say he's also the best lock in the country bar none.....his only possible challenger is at uni in England.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed Gigs, I thought Horwill may have passed him this year but it hasn't happened yet.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe says Wallabies are firmly focused on the Bledisloe Cup

By Cameron Storey
    foxsports.com.au
    June 28, 2009 .Following Australia's comprehensive defeat of France at ANZ Stadium lock Nathan Sharpe spoke to foxsports.com.au about the Wallabies opening month and the looming Bledisloe Cup.

You must be pretty happy to beat France, they are a tough outfit?
    Yeah very happy with the win. In terms of the urgency and the enthusiasm the whole team displayed, especially in defence, that was a really pleasing aspect for us. But at the same time there is certainly a lot of things we can build on in terms of our attack. The French did a great job of slowing down the ball and not allowing us to get any rhythm but we responded well and had a clear victory.

It's four from four for you now at the start of the season. You guys are looking more confident and are now playing a patient brand of football. Is that something coach Robbie Deans is trying to instil in you.
    I think so. Certainly playing at the moment a very smart tactical game with field position is contributing to that. You are able to play with patience and build pressure on the opposition.

Defence was a real key for you as you said. You guys must have been pretty proud to keep a team like France tryless for 80 minutes?
    Yeah it was very good, particularly in the second half when they were in our 22 for a fair bit of time and then when you look at the last five minutes of play they had plenty of phases and did not manage to go anywhere. And that was a very pleasing aspect for us, we didn’t let them cross our line.

You talked yourself to an absolute standstill last night. After being dropped for a stint last season you must be feeling pretty happy with your form at the moment?
    I think I am just enjoying my football. One of the things you go through when you have disappointments is you have to learn from it and I think I have learnt to take things one week at a time and not look beyond that because you lose the opportunity to enjoy that moment and make the most of it. As I said I am really enjoying my football, enjoying the environment that the team has and relishing every opportunity I do get.

It has been such a good start to the season, without getting too far ahead of yourselves, is there a sense of excitement knowing you have a really good base to build on from here?
    I definitely think so. Having said that we are very conscious of the fact we haven't actually achieved anything yet. We have got some silverware in the cupboard that most years we have been able to claim. But the big scalps are ahead of us, The Bledisloe Cup and the Tri Nations. And I think most of the guys are going to be zeroing in on that as the weeks pass. Everyone ahs a week off now, a bit of time to freshen up and spend time with family and friends but I think very much towards the front of everyone’s mind will be that first up Bledisloe clash in New Zealand.

New Zealand have had a tough series against the French and have a few injuries. You guys must feel relatively confident that it will be a very competitive series and you guys have a good chance of claiming back the Blediloe for the first time in years?
    We definitely are excited about the prospect but we are certainly not getting carried away. We are not in a position to say we are going to go to New Zealand and storm them. We know how hard they are to play, especially at home and that first game for us will be crucial for setting the tone of the Tri Nations. They are going to be a little bit stung after a bit of criticism over their early internationals. They have a couple of weeks off and will get a couple of players back and they are going to pose a much bigger threat to the one they did against France.

Back to last night. What did Robbie say to you after the game? Did he outline a couple of areas you guys can really improve in?
    I think definitely in terms of our cohesion and the finishing off of the pressure we are applying. The fact we ended up getting a fair few penalty goals, especially in that second half, was a positive sign because we were obviously doing enough right to be in that part of the field and then putting enough pressure on them that they were forced into those mistakes. It is always nice to score tries but it is even better to win games and to win it the way we did last night, comprehensively was very satisfying.

Looking forward now to a bit of a break before what will be a very intense lead up to that first Tri Nations game?
    The guys will all go home and put their feet up for a while. I am really looking forward to spending a bit of time with the family and hopefully getting out to do a bit of fishing and get away from football. But we are always going to have that opening Tri Nations game in the back of our minds.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...016959,00.html

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Sharpie had a blinder last night.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.