Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A song and dance about something

Legend Contributor
    vCash

A song and dance about something

By MARC HINTON http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/o...bout-something

The All Blacks are a disgrace. And, no, I’m not talking about their performances in the just-completed two-test series against France. That I can forgive.

I'm referring, of course, to their continued reluctance to sing their country’s national anthem before a test match. Something has to be done about this – and quick – before what's left of our reputation is in complete tatters.

It's not enough that visiting international rugby teams suffer indignities like having bottles hurled at them as they salute their fans in the stands and being assaulted in our streets as they make their way back to their hotels.

But now when they glance across prior to belting out their own anthems with trademark gusto, pride and enthusiasm, they are confronted with a bunch of stony-faced All Blacks, their lips pursed tighter than a bank's coffers and their eyes all glazed over, as the words of God Defend New Zealand ring out around the stands, but not in centre-pitch.

What must they make of it? A group of proud young men about to represent their country on the biggest stage, and they're incapable even of singing the one true symbol of their nationhood. It is called an anthem for a reason, after all. You're supposed to let rip, regardless of whether you think a high note is the warm feeling you get after you score a try.

But not our lads. When it comes anthem time they look like they do when they walk into their once-a-week media session. As though they'd rather be somewhere else.

OK, there are the odd exceptions. One or two players actually sing along, and a couple of others can be seen mumbling something under their breaths, though for all we know they could just be repeating their coaches' last-minute instructions.

But for the most part there is rigid disinterest in the verses of their country's song.

This behaviour has been going on for some time now. As long as I've been covering the All Blacks, which dates back to before the start of the professional era.

And it disturbs me. Never more so than now.

The eyes of the world are on us, whether we like it or not. We're little more than two years away from hosting the Rugby World Cup, which has grown so big and so driven by the commercial imperative that in many ways it represents a potential last chance for one of the ''smaller'' nations to ever host the event.

Granted, things like ground security, player welfare in the streets and even the prevention of livestock being carried into stadiums might seem like greater concerns than a mere national anthem. But as the wise man once said, image is everything.

Ad Feedback And right now the image of the All Black as a proud Kiwi is for me in tatters.

What message does it send out to the people who have shelled out serious bucks just to freeze their butts off in the stands on a mid-winter's night and watch what has been — thus far anyway — some pretty ordinary fare on the rugby front?

What message does it send to the thousands upon thousands of fans who hand over their Pay TV subscriptions each month just for the right to witness the feats of these pampered professionals?

More importantly, what message does it send to the hundreds of thousands of kids who worship these young men as shining gods in their world?

Not a great one, that's what. That their country's anthem doesn’t mean anything to them. That they're professional rugby players and they don’t have to feel proud Kiwis.

Granted, that may be a misconception. But more and more it's one the people I speak to are drawing as they watch these fellows 'dis their national anthem.

I call on Graham Henry to do something about it.

I know he'll say it's not his place to interfere here and that what a player does before a game while the formalities are playing out is their business. So long as the individual is ready to play, and all that jazz.

I say bollocks to that. I say it is Henry's business. He's the head of this organisation. The man his players listen to.

And I reckon he should tell them from this week on that it’s compulsory to belt out the anthem before a test. No sing — no play.

Extreme? Yes. Necessary? Maybe.

I just don't buy the excuses that are inanely trotted out. "It's how I like to prepare for the game." "I'm singing it deep inside." "I like to soak up the atmosphere."

Just sing the god-defending anthem, people!

I'm serious... If it's good enough for them to get so excited, and so organised, about a haka that is only a symbol of their country's heritage, then they should also be expected to produce similar unity and commitment at anthem time.

I know. No sing — no haka. That would really fix it.

And Henry has the power to solve this in one memo. He tells his players what to do just about every minute of their waking day while they're with the All Blacks. He tells them when they need to be tucked up in bed by, the things they should be eating and, often, what they should be saying.

Why not just add singing the anthem to that list. It would certainly make a lot of ordinary Kiwis — folk who still believe the All Blacks are a team not a brand — a heck of a lot happier.

Before the All Blacks play every test match there is a song, then a dance. For me they take only the latter seriously. It’s time to fix that.

Believe me this is not a song and a dance about nothing either.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Cool story

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Were he in a position to do so, I'd put a $50 on God opting to smite New Zealand.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Or "defending" a la Drew Mitchell?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Or "defending" a la Drew Mitchell?
    Maybe thats why the hole in the ozone layer is biggest over NZ.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Amazing what a couple of ordinary performances on the paddock unearths

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    pretty fair article......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Amazing what a couple of ordinary performances on the paddock unearths
    You talking the ABs or Drew, Burgs?

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Most national anthems are awful pieces of music. Some sound more like dirges than celebrations. The French probably have the best one (damn them!).

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    Most national anthems are awful pieces of music. Some sound more like dirges than celebrations. The French probably have the best one (damn them!).
    I personally really like the South African Anthem, and the way the players sing with passion, like it means something to them.

I wish Australia anthem was better...

vCash
    I haven't caught the start of any of the All Blacks games, but I think they should be singing. Their country is honouring them, and naming them to represent them as the best of the best and I think they could find it within themselves to sing their anthem. I loved seeing the Italians, their anthem is so lively and they are all so passionate about their anthem. It's just nice to see. I mumble along when our's come's on TV and I think that the players should all sing along too.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Maybe it would help if they knew the words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by as77221 View Post
    I personally really like the South African Anthem, and the way the players sing with passion, like it means something to them.

I wish Australia anthem was better...

the part that each player sings means something to him anyways.

vCash
    4380 days ago I was born, and to me not singing the national anthem before you play an international begs the question.... What is this?

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Contributor
    vCash

All Blacks to sing anthem with one voice

By MARC HINTON - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...with-one-voice

The readers of Stuff.co.nz have spoken and it appears the All Blacks have listened. They say they are ready to sing their national anthem loud and proud tomorrow night against Italy.

After a resounding response to an opinion column this week imploring the All Blacks to belt out their anthem with the same gusto and pride that they show for their haka, it appears that the subject has hit home.

With over 1000 comments posted on the original story and a poll revealing emphatically that New Zealanders would like to see their All Blacks treat their anthem with more respect, both coach and captain today confirmed the topic had been discussed within the team.

"I haven't instructed them to sing the anthem... yet," said Henry at today's captain's press conference.

"I think that's a decision they will come to..."

In other words, the All Blacks have been made aware that the mixture of stony silence and self-conscious mumbling that the majority of them seem to favour is not reflecting well on the team.

"I think they should sing the anthem, sure," added Henry when asked for his view on the topic.

Skipper Mils Muliaina admitted some players were probably less emphatic in their delivery than they should be - a situation he put down to the conservatism of Kiwis in general.

"We've had a brief discussion as players," he said.

"I think the majority of our group do [sing]. We're probably conservative people as Kiwis. If you look at the French and compare them to us, we probably just open our lips a little bit.

"Perhaps there's a couple of guys in the team that don't sing, but the majority of the group do," added Muliaina. "We're very passionate about being All Blacks and also the national anthem. We don't I suppose jump up and down about it... we're pretty conservative people.

"But we are making a conscious effort to do that, and we are very proud of it."

A bit of levity was then restored when the subject of whether certain All Blacks actually shouldn't sing the anthem, given their vocal prowess.

"I can tell you that's probably one of the reasons [we don't sing]," added Muliaina. "There's some not very good singers in this team. Jimmy Cowan doesn't sing it and I've just realised why - because he can't sing."

Of course Henry then had the last word: "We'll have to get them a singing coach," barked the coach.

Not such a bad idea if it gets these guys belting out their anthem with the gusto it deserves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast