Crikey! Too many posts to quote them all, but:

#1. Remember the tackler is only a tackler if he/she has gone to ground.

#2. Tackler must release the tackled player immediately and get to their feet, or at the very least roll away.

That being the case, the tackled player can then excercise his/her 3 options. (pass, place or roll the ball)

So, if the tackler does their thing, they are not still holding onto the ball. If the tackler gets to their feet and the ruck hasn't formed then they can pick up the ball.

#3. The "new law" had iRB rulings in 2003 and 2004. I don't think this qualifies it as "new"...

#4. Once the ruck has formed no-one involved in the ruck may handle the ball. A person acting in the scrum-half position may reach in and pick it up, but then they aren't part of the ruck, are they? That's why they can do it. No-one else.

#5. The ruck most certainly appears to be the least understood part of the game by the players. How often do you hear "but I was on my feet ref"? Doesn't matter if you were on your feet, it was a ruck = get your hands off.

Oh, and GIGS; a foul from a player from each team doesn't cancel each other out. ALWAYS penalise the first infringement. Having said that, it is (imho) the ref's job to try talking the player out of offending. Which is why we call "hands off" or "ruck" or "play it" etc etc.