Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne to host Bledisloe Cup Test

vCash

Melbourne to host Bledisloe Cup Test

Melbourne to host Bledisloe Cup Test June 21, 2009 - 6:44PM .

Melbourne will receive a better opportunity to show their rugby union interest in 2010 when the AFL-mad city hosts a Bledisloe Cup Test featuring the crowd-pulling All Blacks.

The Australian Rugby Union was disappointed with the 20,280 crowd which only just filled a third of Etihad Stadium on Saturday night when an experimental Wallabies outfit took on a second-string Italy.

With the Victorian Rugby Union in the running to gain a Super 15 license for an expanded competition in 2011, it hardly helped their cause.

But the ARU admitted there were reasons for the low crowd - down on the 26,000 that watched the 2005 Australia-Italy Test at the same venue - and felt it too early to judge whether it would have a detrimental affect on the VRU's Super rugby bid.

The last time the All Blacks visited Victoria, a crowd of almost 80,000 witnessed a Wallabies upset at the MCG in 2007.

The venue - either the MCG or Etihad Stadium - is yet to be decided for next year's trans-Tasman battle.

On top of the fact the world No.12-ranked Italians were never set to capture the public's imagination, an ARU spokesman said ticket sales had suffered through several "mitigating factors".

"The Test match was originally to be held at Melbourne's new rectangular stadium, which is not yet completed," he said.

"There was also the challenge with the timing given there were two major international sporting events in Melbourne within three days (with the Socceroos match against Japan).

"Health precautions may have also kept away a number of interstate visitors."

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0621-csh0.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    can only get 19,000 odd fans to an international rugby match (wallabies vs azzuri) when no AFL, no NRL was being played.... wrong idea ARU.

vCash

Ox/Little Ox, was the crowd really dead? I spoke to my friend who was there and he said it was pretty dismal and quiet... also empty.

Can't we have it first? Melbourne should wait their turn - we are next.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Perth absolutely deserves a Bledisloe ahead of Melbourne. This is now beyond a joke.

I can only assume that Brumby has thrown $100 bills at JO'N - by the wheelbarrow full.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Perth absolutely deserves a Bledisloe ahead of Melbourne. This is now beyond a joke.

I can only assume that Brumby has thrown $100 bills at JO'N - by the wheelbarrow full.
    well obviously, Victorian Govt is one of the major sponsors of the wallabies

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    can only get 19,000 odd fans to an international rugby match (wallabies vs azzuri) when no AFL, no NRL was being played.... wrong idea ARU.
    so quickly we forget the 80'000 to the Bledisloe in 2007 at the MCG

Champion
    vCash
    TOCC - thats right 2007.. I was 3 years younger, Reds were on the rise and things have changed.... all i know is that the crowd looked small and was more silent than a morge.

Rugby in Melbourne never will...

Melbourne Storm cant do anymore than what there doing (benchmark in NRL in recent times) and still cant get crowds, origin goes there and still small... - ENOUGH SAID I THINK.

vCash
    TOCC - thats right 2007.. I was 3 years younger, Reds were on the rise and things have changed.... all i know is that the crowd looked small and was more silent than a morge.

Rugby in Melbourne never will...

Melbourne Storm cant do anymore than what there doing (benchmark in NRL in recent times) and still cant get crowds, origin goes there and still small...
    well your comparing a Italy vs Aus A to Bledisloe Cup match...

little hypocritical i think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    well obviously, Victorian Govt is one of the major sponsors of the wallabies

so quickly we forget the 80'000 to the Bledisloe in 2007 at the MCG
    ...and what % were fly in/fly out? 90%? - last night's game demonstrated the true level of home grown support in Melbourne....and the numbers were ugly.

vCash
    ...and what % were fly in/fly out? 90%? - last night's game demonstrated the true level of home grown support in Melbourne....and the numbers were ugly.
    please, you really think this match would have rated much better if played anywhere else..

it might have drawn closer to 30k in brisbane or sydney the supposed true rugby heartlands

the fact that the TV ratings in both Sydney and Brisbane flopped for this match reflect this argument as well

vCash
    Let's be honest here. Does anyone believe there would be many more than 19,000 to see the Azzuri in Sydney, Brissy or Perth? How many turned out in Canberra? There's no doubting the Vics are the leading sports fanatics in Oz and their governments get right on board. I sure wont be chucking any stones from the dilapidated Perth glasshouse.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    please, you really think this match would have rated much better if played anywhere else..

it might have drawn closer to 30k in brisbane or sydney the supposed true rugby heartlands

the fact that the TV ratings in both Sydney and Brisbane flopped for this match reflect this argument as well

...actually yes. Canberra, with 10% of Melbourne's population, drew a bigger crowd one week earlier. So much for the sporting capital of the universe.

Melbourne has one winter sport - AFL.

vCash
    ...actually yes. Canberra, with 10% of Melbourne's population, drew a bigger crowd one week earlier. So much for the sporting capital of the universe.

Melbourne has one winter sport - AFL.
    That wouldnt be the same match which had big names mat giteau and stirling mortlock in it?
    If your full of the answers Tic, why were the ratings were so crap then?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Regardless of where a Bledisloe is held you are always going to get a percentage of fly in/fly out its a drawcard match so i don't see that as an issue.

Yes the atmosphere wasn't the best saturday night but they could hardly expect to fill Etihad stadium most afl teams can't. Unfortunately for this game the rectangular stadium wasn't finished and Etihad was the best option, the crowd numbers wouldn't even be an issue if the new stadium was finished and like others have mentioned i dont believe that the crowd would have been substantially more in any other state.

I was at the game in 2007 and the atmosphere was amazing and i quite like the fact that the MCG can have over 80,000 people there for a game other than AFL.

vCash
    Melbourne Storm cant do anymore than what there doing (benchmark in NRL in recent times) and still cant get crowds, origin goes there and still small... - ENOUGH SAID I THINK.
    The attendence was 50,967 for state of orgin 1 this year, alot of fly in's were probably there. Major events of this type attract do attract fly in's from the rest of the country which injects cash into the local economy. The effects of games like this go beyond ticket sales, hence why state governments jump on the bandwagon in trying to attract these big fixtures to their cities

vCash
    Quite right - but Super 15, week in and week out, generally does not attract many fly ins. That's where the local support is needed.

Reasonable evidence suggests that it is not there on a sustained basis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast