Thread: Western Force snare Springbok Pretorius as marquee signing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force snare Springbok Pretorius as marquee signing

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer

June 19, 2009 11:12am

FORMER Springboks five-eighth Andre Pretorius has signed with the Western Force for next season.

The signing, predicted by The Sunday Times, strengthens the club's bid to keep teenage star James O'Connor, who is strongly tipped to put his signature on a Force contract.

Pretorius, 30, the club's overseas marquee signing for 2010, was in the South African 2007 Rugby World Cup winning squad in France and replaces prop Ben Castle as the foreign import.

He has notched up almost 650 points in eight seasons of Super rugby for the Johannesburg-based Lions, putting him seventh on the all-time Super points scoring list. He kicked more than 200 goals in that time.

He also amassed 171 points in just 31 appearances for the Springboks after making his Test debut in 2002.

RugbyWA General Manager, Rugby, Mitch Hardy said Pretorius would bring experience and leadership.

“Andre has a complete range of skills but he also possess a lot of leadership qualities and is highly regarded in South African rugby for the quality of person he is off the field,” said Hardy.

“He’s a game breaker with significant international experience and he can control a game, which is exactly what we were looking for in a number ten.”

Pretorius said: “This was one of the biggest decisions I have had to make in my professional career.

“My loyalty has always been with the Lions and the years I spent here has been tremendous and they assisted me in becoming a Springbok. That’s what made this decision difficult..

“I am excited about the opportunity to play for the Force. I believe that their structures and type of coaching can get me to perform at my optimal best. I will be surrounded by great players which makes it easy to focus only on what you have to do.”

“Having experience is one thing, using it to your advantage is another and that’s where I think the Coach (John Mitchell) will play a big role.”

Pretorius will join the Force when his season with the Lions in the Currie Cup competition ends in October.

The Australian Rugby Union's high performance unit manager David Nucifora said: “He is a quality international and recruiting those types of players was the idea behind the foreign player policy.

“The aim of the policy is to ensure our Super 14 sides, by bringing marquee players into the competition, can assist themselves in filling a potential hole in their roster.

“We believe Pretorius will help the Force in that regard. It also adds to the overall lustre of the tournament in general.”

Pretorius is the third marquee player signed to an Australian Super Rugby province.

The Queensland Reds fielded All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid in this year’s Super 14 while the Force had another New Zealander, prop Ben Castle, on their books.
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005403,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Booyah! Signature!

I hope he's not going to drop goal us everywhere. When appropriate yes but I hope that John Mitchell's made it clear that there is Pretorios is backed by one super-amazing backline which is there to be used.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    He'll have to take turns with our designated dropkicker, Mr 100% ,

vCash
    Just to show the difference in registered players from the Tri Nations Countries. Pretorius has a bit more competition than Gits does for a spot in the National team.

Australia
    165,219 (total)
    42,100 (adult)

South Africa
    434,219 (total)
    147,300 (adult)
    165,000 (junior)

New Zealand
    141,726 (total)
    29,089 (adults)