Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tyro trio back themselves in front-row battle

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tyro trio back themselves in front-row battle

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | June 19, 2009

The Wallabies' new-look front-row is expecting the Italian pack to try to "smash them", but believe the strong bond that has built between them will help them counter the Azzurri forwards.

The Italian team look upon a raw opposition front row, where Ben Alexander will start for the first time as a tight-head prop while on the other side, Pek Cowan will be having his Test debut, as a potential frailty.

However, to the surprise of many, it was revealed yesterday that the Alexander-Cowan combination with hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is not exactly a case of strangers having to acquaint themselves, but that they are actually accustomed to being a three-man team.

This trio played together at Australian under-21 level in 2005, and each knows the other is up to the task. Also in that 2005 representative group was Benn Robinson, who is on the bench as back-up to Alexander and Cowan.

Yet the pressure is definitely on Alexander, who has played most of his football on the loose-head side. But Alexander countered that he had played about 20 games on the more demanding tight-head side and felt relatively comfortable in the No.3 jersey.

"It's not new to me any more, but starting this Test is still a big step in my progression and development at tight-head," he said yesterday.

"It will be tough because the Italy pack bring intent to every scrum. They just fire up and try to smash you any way they can. So we also have to bring that intent this weekend."

Italy coach Nick Mallett yesterday wouldn't go so far as to say his team could expose the new Wallabies' scrum, but he certainly knows it will be an important pressure point.

"I was happy with our scrummaging in Canberra," Mallett said. "It was very even in the first half, and we actually got a little bit of an edge in the second half. Unfortunately, we were put in a lot of pressure in the lineouts on our throw and that's an area we've worked hard on this week."

Italy look upon their forward base as their prime asset, and their physicality certainly took a toll on the Wallabies last weekend. One only had to wander around the Wallabies team hotel in Canberra on Sunday morning and see the battered Australian forwards to know that it had been an extremely brutal Test.

Italy's Australian-born fullback, Luke McLean, was similarly adamant that the Azzurri would improve tomorrow night, citing elementary defensive lapses as the prime reason for their 31-8 first Test loss.

"We weren't too happy with how we went in Canberra," McLean said yesterday. "Their first try was just a bad read by our backs. Then with Stirling Mortlock's try, he ran through three people, which was just a simple switch ball. It was nothing you should have to worry about. Then with Matt Giteau's try, it came off a knee, while James O'Connor's last try was him brushing off our captain, Sergio Parisse, who usually would not miss a tackle like that. So they were just simple errors. That is what we have to cut out.

"We are not a team which will score a lot of tries. So it is a case of cutting out errors. And when we do get the ball to attack off, we try to go out wide … "

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...918139089.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Defensive errors causing tries? Who would have thought...

coz Stone Cold says so

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Jeez I hope the Scrum smashes the Italians...and stays away from our own lineout feed...

Last edited by Burgs; 19-06-09 at 15:34.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    I'm a little worried about this front row. Not TPN he a far more seasoned test player but Alexander and Cowan hmm... The scrum went backwards when Alexander went to tighthead last week and this will be Cowan first test. Not doubting the progress he has made but test football a whole new level to S14 especially against renowned scrummagers of the likes of Italy.

Although he might handle the situation. But usually the 12 or so test are difficult. With many lessons learned. Which is perhaps what Deans is doing. Giving him experience against hard scrumming team in prep for 2011.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's ok WC, Alexander will have had a week working under the instruction of Baxt....oh

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm more worried about TPN's throwing into the line out.

Word from his Sydney clubmates they call him "lightning"

(never hits the same spot twice)

Player
    vCash
    TPN doesn't throw that bad. I played reps with a guy with that nickname and was lauded as the second coming and TPN a 100 times better. His throwing has become better.

Alexander has had the instruction of the big Argentine Pato Noriega.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For the record, I already rate Alexander higher than Trestle WC

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    WC and Burgs, How hard do you reckon Deans and Williams are looking to replace Trestle?
    He seems to get alot of support from the East Coast jurno's. I don't like to harp on individuals but I reckon you could say his career has been all about right place right time. I know I'm soundinng like a brocken record but if the stats exist I reckon Baxter would be the world's most collapsing TH.
    The refs are biased against him and I don't think they'll change. I know his getting praise this year but is it justified?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    I'm a little worried about this front row. Not TPN he a far more seasoned test player but Alexander and Cowan hmm...
    I think you've missed the point a bit there WC, if the new combinations aren't tried against the Italians, there'll be no opportunity to play them. The French looked like a bunch of fire-pissers and you don't want to throw these boys into the Tri Nations when the trestle's hinge finally siezes up.

There's plenty of cover on the bench, and it's only a warm up test, we don't need to win it by 8 tries, so give them a go!

I personally think Pekko and Alexander are less of an issue than TPN's throwing into lineout, sometimes that boy has trouble hitting the Earth!

C'mon the

vCash
    IMO the scrum will get smashed, Cowan and Alexander just arent up to it

vCash
    Cowan I think will hold his own, however Alexander I'm a little worried about. That worry does not compare to TPN's inability to throw the ball in a straight line. He just can't do it, I find it dismal that our hooker can't throw straight. Man. We should be OK, but jeez. Just one straight lineout. Even Gerry wouldn't make crazy odds about TPN throwng straight (though he's got them about him throwning UN-straight)

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    whats the worry with Ben Alexander? he had a stellar year last year. who's to say he cant keep it up. plus he hasnt let us down so far this year.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    whats the worry with Ben Alexander? he had a stellar year last year. who's to say he cant keep it up. plus he hasnt let us down so far this year.
    He's playing on the other side of the scrum to what he normally does. I think he'll be OK myself, hopefully a step up from Baxter!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Class View Post
    Although he might handle the situation. But usually the 12 or so test are difficult. With many lessons learned. Which is perhaps what Deans is doing. Giving him experience against hard scrumming team in prep for 2011.
    Pretty much on the money. Last world cup our lack of depth at so many critical positions was obvious. Deans has done well to address this so far and is obviously looking to biuld depth in the front row leading up to 2011. Im a fan of deans. Forcing the guys to compete with each other to "EARN" a spot in the 22 is definitely the way to go!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast