Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor ponders - Force or Brumbies?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Connor ponders - Force or Brumbies?

June 11, 2009 - 6:52PM

Matt Giteau will be chuffed if boy wonder James O'Connor follows him to the Brumbies for the 2010 Super 14 season - but says he has no idea if the new Wallabies fullback will or not.

Australian rugby's hottest prospect is still weighing up whether or not to remain at the Western Force or join the Brumbies' burgeoning dream team, which will also welcome star flanker Rocky Elsom and Wallabies reserve halfback Josh Valentine.

Giteau and O'Connor, who played mostly at inside centre at the Force, have struck up quite an attacking rapport this season and will start a Test together for the first time on Saturday when Australia takes on Italy at Canberra Stadium.

Giteau, though, insists he won't be encouraging O'Connor to continue their association at provincial level.

"He'll get his opinions and ideas and thoughts from his manager and obviously his family. I think he's pretty close to his dad, so I'm not too sure at what he's looking to do," Giteau said on Thursday.

"It's not really any of my business either so, whatever he does, you support him as a teammate.

"But if we do play against each other, I'll look forward to that also."

Giteau is happy enough to assist the boom youngster with on-field matters - if he ever needs advice, that is.

"There's certainly times where if you're trying to do things, especially when he's playing inside centre and I want a certain line out of him or more talk," Giteau said.
    "So there'll be certain things there when you can help him out or explain things to him.

"But he's quite smart, I think, with his rugby knowledge and his general instincts are pretty much spot on all the time so you don't want to bombard him with too much information.

"But if he does want that help or need that help, he does generally come and ask for it."

The classy 18-year-old has been likened to a youthful Giteau, who, like most rugby fans, is looking forward to O'Connor's much-hyped Test debut on Saturday night.
    "He's very confident. I hope I wasn't that confident, but he's certainly got all the skills," Giteau said.

"There's huge expectations on him. Obviously because he's had a pretty strong Super 14 season.

"But as long as he just plays as he has through the Super 14 and doesn't overplay his hand. I think that's the biggest thing.

"Obviously expectations are high because he is quite a good attacking player.
    "But with the game plan we've got and the way we'll be looking to use him, it will be pretty hard for him to overplay his hand.

"He doesn't generally show too many nerves so I'm sure he'll be fine on the weekend.
    © 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0611-c4sv.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    No wonder AJ left town. The papparazzi were chasing him for his take on where rabbit is going to play next year...

The biggggest story is yet to unfold; Dunning to be J'OCs dropkicking coach

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The title should be 'Giteau Ponders...'

vCash
    wat gits said on ten news tonight
    few force boys said enjoy the cold next year in Canberra and he said i'll enjoy winning!
    ummmmm we kinda just fell below them 2 years running, we BEAT them 2 years in a row....

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    yes I thought that was a bit of a low blow from giteau on ch10 last night, he went to canberra to start winning......
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    And there will be great pressure on them to win now!

Let the press keep refering to them as the Dream Team, only builds up even more pressure and gives us much breathing space

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Triple Crown winners just hold their heads high

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    And the First match of the 2010 season with a nice 5 point ... MES win by the Wild Horses....

vCash
    Put your money where your mouth is MS...I'm sure there's a few here only too pleased to relieve you of some real $ over this wonderfully scheduled 1st match of 2010.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Put your money where your mouth is MS...I'm sure there's a few here only too pleased to relieve you of some real $ over this wonderfully scheduled 1st match of 2010.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'll be investing a pony with sportsbet... Likely to take the +13 odds as I‘d imagine just to get a even return… no need to worry your jedi karma about that…

vCash
    I was more thinking along the lines of 200 TWFers each staking $5 on this match - straight win/lose....if you're confident of cleaning up with $1k then stand up & be counted. However, if your precious show ponies fail to deliver I guess you could hope for another KRudd stimulus!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Likely to take the +13 odds as I‘d imagine just to get a even return…)
    Oh there's no need to do that. Sports bets odds are too skinny, just bullshit really. We're a little more adventurous lot here. Plenty who'll give you even money head-to-head. I'll give you odds against if you still wanna go the 13+. Just let us know how much you want on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    According to news.com.au Brumbies have pulled out of the running for O'Connor....
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just trying to save face, they have been out of the running for a fortnight or more.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast